Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 14 2014, 10:32 PM   #31
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon

Re: Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Gotcha. Thanks!
The Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2014, 10:55 PM   #32
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post
I am actually considering picking up the COC disc. I didn't for Unification because I didn't really need it. I haven't even heard any of the commentaries on any of the episodes so that wasn't a selling point and the features seemed a little less than what we got with Redemption. COC looks to have upped the features with the Cox interview and it should be interesting to hear him talk about his role, and maybe even the aftermath of the role.
I hope there's an anecdote about finally giving Troi a standard uniform. I'm sure someone has something interesting to say about making that switch.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2014, 10:59 PM   #33
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Oh, I completely agree with you. And I'm fairly confident that CBS would agree with you as well, given they actually encourage their licensees to "correct" the colors to depict what was seen on-screen, not what the actual costume looked like. (An example of this is the Red TNG Uniform Hoodie available from ThinkGeek). CBS-D has also fixed the inconsistent colors in previous episodes, as pointed out in the EAS observations for "Remember Me."

The intent of my post was to out that CBS did not color-correct CoC to show "true color" of the uniforms as FrontierTrek stated, but they are showing a more consistant color as what's seen throughout the rest of the series.
Right "true" was perhaps the wrong word. The colorists at CBSD are more concerned with bringing out the color as it was *intended* to be seen, the true artistic intention of the original production team.

Thankfully - as pointed out by Wendy Ruiz from CBS-D in our interview from a couple of years back - the remastering has led to far more color stability over the seasons than was ever present in SD.
Old February 14 2014, 11:00 PM   #34
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

jimbotron wrote: View Post
I hope there's an anecdote about finally giving Troi a standard uniform. I'm sure someone has something interesting to say about making that switch.

I certainly can't envisage you being disappointed!
Old February 14 2014, 11:06 PM   #35
trekker670
Fleet Captain

I am actually considering picking up the COC disc. I didn't for Unification because I didn't really need it. I haven't even heard any of the commentaries on any of the episodes so that wasn't a selling point and the features seemed a little less than what we got with Redemption. COC looks to have upped the features with the Cox interview and it should be interesting to hear him talk about his role, and maybe even the aftermath of the role.
From Memory-Alpha:

The producers attempted to establish Jellico as more of a "by-the-book" captain than Picard by means of various subtle details...He also insists upon crewmembers appearing in full standard uniform when on duty...
Troi began wearing a standard Starfleet uniform in this episode when ordered to do so by Jellico; she had not done so since "Encounter at Farpoint" with the exception of the fantasy universe portrayed in "Future Imperfect". This was a costume experiment that Ronald D. Moore had wanted to try and Marina Sirtis was eager to oblige. (Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion) Ronny Cox noted, "I think there were a lot of things that [Jellico] did that were really important for that show. Having Troi put on a damn uniform? Give me a break! This is an officer on a ship and she's running around with her boobs hanging out?" [2] Troi continued to appear in uniform while on duty for nearly all of the rest of the series.
I agree an anecdote from the production-side would be interesting though!
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2014, 11:16 PM   #36
trekker670
Fleet Captain

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Oh, I completely agree with you. And I'm fairly confident that CBS would agree with you as well, given they actually encourage their licensees to "correct" the colors to depict what was seen on-screen, not what the actual costume looked like. (An example of this is the Red TNG Uniform Hoodie available from ThinkGeek). CBS-D has also fixed the inconsistent colors in previous episodes, as pointed out in the EAS observations for "Remember Me."

The intent of my post was to out that CBS did not color-correct CoC to show "true color" of the uniforms as FrontierTrek stated, but they are showing a more consistant color as what's seen throughout the rest of the series.
Right "true" was perhaps the wrong word. The colorists at CBSD are more concerned with bringing out the color as it was *intended* to be seen, the true artistic intention of the original production team.

Thankfully - as pointed out by Wendy Ruiz from CBS-D in our interview from a couple of years back - the remastering has led to far more color stability over the seasons than was ever present in SD.

Agreed regarding the artistic intention. I didn't mean to "call you out" as bringing incorrect information, if that's how it seemed, I just meant it as a clarification.
Old February 15 2014, 12:44 AM   #37
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

Agreed regarding the artistic intention. I didn't mean to "call you out" as bringing incorrect information, if that's how it seemed, I just meant it as a clarification.
Not at all

We actually have a brief interview with the CBSD senior colorist coming as part of a larger feature down the line, it should add some nice insight.
Old February 15 2014, 03:33 AM   #38
SpHeRe31459
Captain

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Not at all

We actually have a brief interview with the CBSD senior colorist coming as part of a larger feature down the line, it should add some nice insight.
Looking forward to it
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 05:08 PM   #39
Chris2005
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't think I'm going to get the CoC standalone...

If it's a cliffhanger standalone, then I'll possibly get it, simply to see part II without having to wait for the season set.

But if both episodes are contained within the season itself, nope.

So far, the only standalone release I got was Redemption, and mainly because my dad wanted to see the 2 part episode.
Old February 15 2014, 06:33 PM   #40
MakeshiftPython
Captain

I'd love to get the COC just because of the interviews with Cox, but I would feel odd doing that because I'm going to get the season set anyway. This is why I avoided all the other two-parters because I always knew down the line, even with the cliffhanger episodes, that I was going to have all the episodes available anyway. COC might be an exception, but just maybe. I think it's dickish to put exclusives on these two-parter releases when it should also be on season sets, but whatever.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 08:17 PM   #41
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I have all the season and solo releases. The solo releases are pretty much watch once, and then store. The "To Be Continued" stingers at the end (especially BOBW, of course) are still worth the inconvenience of getting up to change discs. Unification (and Chain of Command) are completely useless for viewing outside of the bonus features and the initial novelty, since the parts are on the same disc. The bonus features are well worth it, though. The more commentaries and documentaries, the better. Plus certain episodes deserve the extra treatment, such as BOBW, Redemption, Unification (and be extension Sarek), Chain of Command, and likely All Good Things.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 08:33 PM   #42
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon

Wait so to hear the Ronny Cox interview you have to buy the seperate Chain of Command Disc? That's disappointing.
Think of it this way. Were it not for the separate release, there would be no Ronny Cox interview.
But it would have been just part of the Season 6 set.
Nope. CBS got a budget to do a separate release of Chain of Command, and that budget goes to the bonus features, which would include an interview with Ronny Cox. Without the separate release, the interview would not exist.

The interviews done included in the season sets are more broad, as they don't focus on individual episodes. Interviews for one-off actors would not fit into the narrative.
MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
I think it's dickish to put exclusives on these two-parter releases when it should also be on season sets, but whatever.
MakeshiftPython, see the quotes directly preceding your quoted comment. It would seem that if it were not for the CoC special edition we probably wouldn't have a Ronnie Cox interview at all. I will most definitely be picking it up.
The Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 01:51 AM   #43
MakeshiftPython
Captain

I get the reasoning, I just don't care for that excuse. I would have preferred to have it all in my season set, I shouldn't have to buy the same episodes just for the extras.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 03:57 AM   #44
Trekfan21
Commander

Any word if the incorrect shuttle exteriors are being corrected?
Trekfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 06:30 AM   #45
trekker670
Fleet Captain

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
I get the reasoning, I just don't care for that excuse. I would have preferred to have it all in my season set, I shouldn't have to buy the same episodes just for the extras.
It's not really an "excuse," it's a fact of economics. The extras wouldn't be produced if it weren't for the separate release. They have neither the funds to produce the extra material nor the space in the set for another 30 minute feature.

So you wouldn't have the option of having both the complete season and the episode-specific features. If you'd rather them just cut out the separate release all together then you simply wouldn't have the extras that would come with it either.

You don't "have to buy the same episodes just for the extras." You're the consumer. You make the choice of what you buy or not. If you don't want to buy both, then don't buy both. It's as simple as that.

Trekfan21 wrote: View Post
Any word if the incorrect shuttle exteriors are being corrected?
No news is really available yet regarding S6 or S7, but I find it highly doubtful.