IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 15 2014, 08:09 PM   #4336
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
man, i can't believe that line was canceled. i was so looking forward to getting Swerve and Cosmos.
Update on that: no it wasn't! Hasbro just announced new figures in the Legends assortment and they say they're manufacturing more Cosmos and Swerve figures.

Sounds like this was a rumor that got out of hand.
Old February 15 2014, 08:13 PM   #4337
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Ok, sounds like the Amazing Spider-Man 2 Legends that are on shelves now are the extent of it. The second wave of Captain America figures will be the extent of that, as well.

GotG Legends will be Starlord, Drax, Gamora, and Rocket Raccoon, with Groot as the BAF. I figure Rocket had better come with the torso piece, and a BFG if they're going to charge the same amount as everyone else for him. Also, there will be a couple comic based Legends: Cosmic Iron Man, and Nova.
Old February 15 2014, 08:16 PM   #4338
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile

According to Jedi Temple Archives, the Black Series packaging is getting an overhaul with some different colors. Also, there'll be a Sandtrooper corporal variant of the 6" figure for rank and squad builders.
Old February 15 2014, 08:37 PM   #4339
Kira's Mummy
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mummy's Twitter Profile

I spent much of yesterday shoveling snow (and spraining my ankle in the process), but I managed to throw together a Clintasha Valentine's Day:

Imitating Mickey and Minnie:

Awwwww.

Also, I made a card based on something found on Tumblr:

Old February 15 2014, 08:50 PM   #4340
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

New Star Wars figures, including the long-awaited upgrade of Ree-Yees from Jabba's Palace and Sgt. Doallyn from the same film.

Also: new Black Series 3.75" packaging design in the back.

Old February 15 2014, 08:58 PM   #4341
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

For the record, the Luke in Hoth gear on the far right of the shelf isn't a repack of the Vintage Collection figure from 2012, it's a new version based on the Wampa attack and cave scenes. This Luke has the deep facial scratches and dissheveled appearance from that sequence.

The long-awaited Ree-Yees update, the first 3.75" version of his character in sixteen years.

And here's the very first look at the 6" Black Series Chewbacca.

Last edited by Ghouleddie74; February 15 2014 at 09:17 PM.
Ghouleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 09:44 PM   #4342
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Newest lineup of Generations toys, which lines up perfectly with the leaked toylist from awhile back.

Crosscut or rather Senator Crosscut. A rather obscure remold of Skids and more recently a character from the TF Comics. The toy along with Rattrap, Tankorr, Windblade, Starscream and the Minicons will have one of the issues of the Dark Cybertron crossover bundled along with it.

Jetfire, a more accurate and leader sized Jetfire. This puts to shame classics Jetfire. I foresee quite a few collectors dumping their old one on ebay for the new version. There is definitely influences from the Valkyries of Macross (that the toy came from) as well as the original G1 Skyfire. Hopefully the helmet comes off like the Dreamwave and IDW Jetfire. Note the actual fighter cockpit and nose are in the back.

Roadbuster, a Voyager sized TF and part of the Wreckers like Whirl. Both of them originated the Dorvack toyline. Really not feeling it from this mold.

Windblade, the fan designed female transformer who is also getting her own comic. She looks better than I expected and fills the niche of the female autobot flyer in everyone's collection. However the toy shown here looks mistranformed. She is a potential generations remold for Slipstream, the only female Seeker from Animated.

Jhiaxus, this version is based on the IDW version and a retool of the Generations Armada Starscream. The Deco is reminiscent of the only extant Jhiaxus toy that was recolored from the Beast Machines Jetstorm.

RiD Skybyte, but based on the version seen in IDW. Really not doing it for me.

Rattrap. Probably one of the stars that everyone has been looked forward to. Note the arms have the sticky bombs from the show.

Tankor from Beast Machines. Ironically he is dwarfed by Rattrap since the Beast Machines version is suppose to be a giant and probably would be better represented by a voyager.

Edit

Generations Legends Gears. A retool of Swerve like everyone predicted. But the headsculpt really can't compare to the IDW inspired head that Hasbro gave to Swerve.

Last edited by Hound of UIster; February 15 2014 at 11:35 PM.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 12:40 AM   #4343
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

The new Mission Series 2-packs of figures will be switching over to the new Rebels-themed packaging template later this year. Here's the Emperor/Yoda set, though this isn't the final product as indicated by the lame way the two figures are twist-tied to the inside of the blister bubble and there's no clear plastic tray to hold them.

This is essentially a cheaper version of the popular VC12 Darth Sidious figure from The Vintage Collection, only with a minimal five joints of tooling and no soft goods.

Old February 16 2014, 12:43 AM   #4344
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Buffy looks like Anna Nicole Smith.

I really don't get these. Why do people want to pay modern prices for intentionally shitty action figures? These are awful! If you saw a company putting these out unironically, you would be furious! Toy sculpting has come ridiculously far in the decades since figures like this were made. When does pandering to misplaced nostalgia hit its breaking point? How can someone be nostalgic for action figures of shows that didn't exist when action figures were this terrible? It's as if toy companies have realized "Oh, we can make the cheapest, crappiest figures possible, but we'll still sell a bunch of them if we call them retro." I guess at least these are at least new figures, which makes them a step up from Playmates re-releasing the same god-damn twenty-five year old Ninja Turtles figures and charging $14.99 for them.
Agreed. They are horrible... and not in a fun-horrible either. And the really embarrassing thing is they are trying to market this crap to me and my generation. If I wanted crap action figures I would have just held onto my knock-off Boltron figures I got at the junk store when I was eight. At this point nostalgia is about as interesting to me as the pair of reading glasses the optometrist was trying to make me get last month. I am forty not stupid. Give me life-like sculpts with thirty points of articulation at a decent price or give me death.

And has anyone seen the new Jabba? Looks like the 2010 sculpt with a better paint job. Nice though. And the 6-inch Black series Vader gave me collector-wood. Wow.

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 12:50 AM   #4345
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Here are more pics of the Star Wars lines. I really want the Black Series Vader With head accessory.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/h...tf14-showroom/

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 01:05 AM   #4346
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Absolutely! That's one of the stars of the new six-inch line for sure. If they were going to do a 6" Darth Vader in the line then I'm glad they went with a removable helmet so we can see Anakin's face underneath. At this larger scale the detail on his head should be very impressive and pretty film-accurate.
Old February 16 2014, 01:06 AM   #4347
Masquerade
Rear Admiral

While I am tempted to get Pulp Fiction toys that look like the we're designed for preschoolers, all of the Reaction stuff is just terribly disappointing. Toy sculptors back in the 70s didn't sculpt to make their work look like shit, they sculpted to make their work simple enough to come out of a certain kind of mold.
Old February 16 2014, 01:26 AM   #4348
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

The mystery of the unidentified astromech droid in the Black Series 3.75" display has been solved:

it's R5-G19 from the Rebel fleet briefing in Jedi, inside the briefing room near Admiral Ackbar and Mon Mothma.

Nice.
Old February 16 2014, 01:30 AM   #4349
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I will point out again (I'm as disappointed as you guys are) that all the ReAction figures from BTTF, Buffy, and Firefly are awaiting final licencing approval, that is perhaps why they have no likenessnesses. The other figures that have been revealed that they've done have looked pretty good. I am hoping that these are just sample prototypes that they put together to give us at least something to look at. Otherwise I'm right there with you guys that these are utter shite.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 02:10 AM   #4350
I Am The Walrus
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to I Am The Walrus Send a message via Yahoo to I Am The Walrus

Vader, Luke and Chewie look pretty awesome. i'll buy em...if i can find em.
I Am The Walrus is online now   Reply With Quote