RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,410
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 494
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 15 2014, 10:44 AM   #16
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile
Re: If they had any balls...

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
You can always leave.
Exactly.

Also, why do you hate America?
““I’m gonna say such a nasty thing about you on Yelp.” Oh really? That’s great because I’m gonna cut your throat and leave your body in the dumpster out back. And no one will convict me because you’re subhuman trash, ‘Mr. Mayor!’”
— Jeff Gerstmann
SPCTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 12:36 PM   #17
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
TheWelshPirate wrote: View Post
Heaven forbid a Star Trek movie involve some form of exploration.
Actually, the opening scene of STID is the first and only time we've see the crew of any Enterprise doing any exploring in a Star Trek movie. Seriously, the only exploring done in the TOS movies was by the Reliant in TWOK, the Grissom in TSFS and the Excelsior in TUC. No exploration at all in the TNG ones.
Exploration can also include investigation of anything out of the ordinary, not just new planets and stars (the original Enterprise explored V'Ger in TMP for example; it's also possible that there was some long-range scientific scans conducted by the Enterprise-A when she crossed the Great Barrier and ditto for the Enterprise-E during her brief time deep within Romulan territory--before the shooting started, of course).
Old February 15 2014, 12:54 PM   #18
Khan 2.0
Commander

when the Ent was caught in the event horizon of the black hole i was fully expecting something relating to the prime universe..like they go through (like Ent D in Time Squared) and encounter the Ent E which is monitoring from a safe distance...before they get pulled back into the black hole and end up back in the nuUniverse...
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 01:37 PM   #19
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
NuTrek isn't a reboot though, its an alternate timeline where they can tell the same stories only now with flashy new visual effects and younger actors. If it was a reboot then there would be no Prime Spock, also a reboot should do more to shake up the characters (like NuBSG did).

It'd be an interesting idea, but with mega-hyper-warp they'd be home five minutes into NuTrek 2.

An explorer story would be nice to see, I'd prefer that as opposed to a war film with the Blingons.
No, the new movies are not a strict reboot, and I for one, am extremely pleased by that. I get to see my favourite characters brilliantly and vibrantly brought back to life by a (somewhat) younger cast - Pegg 44, Urban 41, Saldana 35.

How very dare the studio use top rate, exciting effects in a summer tentpole, they should have scaled them right back with a cheap looking and unconvincing veneer - after all - that would make the movies more worthy, right?

"Mega-hyper-warp" and "Blingons" eh, I look forward to seeing them introduced in the next movie. I hope they use your exact terminology as well.
Old February 15 2014, 02:45 PM   #20
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

TMP was like 90% exploration.

Whiskey Tango Fox?
As much as I love TMP, the exploration in it was a byproduct of the Enterprise's main mission: to neutralize the intruder before the intruder--a seemingly malevolent force of unimaginable destructive power--could do to earth what it had done to the Klingons and the Epsilon IX station. The Niburu sequence is the only time we see the Enterprise involved in good, old-fashioned TOS-style explorin' sttrange new worlds and seekin' out thems new lifes and new civilizations and what-not.
Old February 15 2014, 03:10 PM   #21
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post

Whiskey Tango Fox?
As much as I love TMP, the exploration in it was a byproduct of the Enterprise's main mission: to neutralize the intruder before the intruder--a seemingly malevolent force of unimaginable destructive power--could do to earth what it had done to the Klingons and the Epsilon IX station.
It still counts as exploration, though. Whether by necessity or simply for the sake of doing so, it's still investigating something unknown.
The Niburu sequence is the only time we see the Enterprise involved in good, old-fashioned TOS-style explorin' sttrange new worlds and seekin' out thems new lifes and new civilizations and what-not.
As far as Star Trek XII is concerned. But TOS-style explorin' was never limited to just "strange new worlds and seekin' out thems new lifes," etc. Heck, Kirk and the gang were still learning a lot about Vulcans in "Amok Time."
Old February 15 2014, 03:17 PM   #22
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
NuTrek isn't a reboot though, its an alternate timeline where they can tell the same stories only now with flashy new visual effects and younger actors. If it was a reboot then there would be no Prime Spock, also a reboot should do more to shake up the characters (like NuBSG did).
Most reboots (Superman, Batman, Bond etc.) are the former rather than the latter, which was BSG in name only.
Old February 15 2014, 03:29 PM   #23
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Back to the thread topic, it's Hollywood's job to leave their balls at home. Every move they make is calculated. Any risk that they take is minimal and they generally use what works.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 03:46 PM   #24
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Trek producers have left their balls at home for ages.

Look at TWOK, TSFS, TVH and TUC. We had movies in which they killed off Spock, gave Kirk a son, destroyed the Enterprise, killed Kirk's son, made the entire crew renegades in a Bird of Prey about to be court martialed.

Abramstrek is so amazingly disappointing. They rebooted saying they now have a clean fresh slate and can do whatever they want. And what happens? Movie 1 ends with the entire crew happy on the bridge, warping off. Movie 2 ends with the entire crew happy on the bridge, warping off. Shall I tell you how movie 3 is going to end?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 03:48 PM   #25
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Since we've supposedly got a more militarized Federation in this series I would like to see them get cloaking devices before the 25th century this time around.

Pretty please?

Last edited by Set Harth; February 15 2014 at 04:20 PM.
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 04:07 PM   #26
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Actually, the opening scene of STID is the first and only time we've see the crew of any Enterprise doing any exploring in a Star Trek movie. Seriously, the only exploring done in the TOS movies was by the Reliant in TWOK, the Grissom in TSFS and the Excelsior in TUC.
So.......the opening scene of STID WASN'T the only time we saw exploration in a ST movie?

Make up your mind!

And you're forgetting a wonderful film called ST:TMP.

Sheesh
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 04:14 PM   #27
Tulin
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post

Whiskey Tango Fox?
As much as I love TMP, the exploration in it was a byproduct of the Enterprise's main mission: to neutralize the intruder before the intruder--a seemingly malevolent force of unimaginable destructive power--could do to earth what it had done to the Klingons and the Epsilon IX station.
It still counts as exploration, though. Whether by necessity or simply for the sake of doing so, it's still investigating something unknown.
The Niburu sequence is the only time we see the Enterprise involved in good, old-fashioned TOS-style explorin' sttrange new worlds and seekin' out thems new lifes and new civilizations and what-not.
As far as Star Trek XII is concerned. But TOS-style explorin' was never limited to just "strange new worlds and seekin' out thems new lifes," etc. Heck, Kirk and the gang were still learning a lot about Vulcans in "Amok Time."

Ding ding ding!

We have a winner!

So was "The Doomsday Machine" any less valid a TOS episode because the crew didn't go to a planet and meet some natives with white body paint on? I see a parallel between that episode and TMP(besides which the Decker connection!).

Neither TDM or TMP is more or less valid an "exploration" than the prologue of STID.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 06:14 PM   #28
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Tulin wrote: View Post
Actually, the opening scene of STID is the first and only time we've see[n] the crew of any Enterprise doing any exploring in a Star Trek movie. Seriously, the only exploring done in the TOS movies was by the Reliant in TWOK, the Grissom in TSFS and the Excelsior in TUC.
So.......the opening scene of STID WASN'T the only time we saw exploration in a ST movie?

Make up your mind!
(emphasis mine)

I think you may have missed what he was saying. Better give it another try.
Old February 15 2014, 09:55 PM   #29
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post

Actually, the opening scene of STID is the first and only time we've see[n] the crew of any Enterprise doing any exploring in a Star Trek movie. Seriously, the only exploring done in the TOS movies was by the Reliant in TWOK, the Grissom in TSFS and the Excelsior in TUC.

Make up your mind!
(emphasis mine)

I get what Tulin is saying. In one sentence, The Wormhole says ".. The opening scene of STID is the first and only time we've seen the crew of any Enterprise doing any exploring in a Star Trek movie" and the following sentence names a ship containing an Enterprise crewmen (Chekov).
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 01:11 AM   #30
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

bbjeg wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post

Make up your mind!
(emphasis mine)

I get what Tulin is saying.
Oh, don't worry - I get it, too.

bbjeg wrote: View Post
In one sentence, The Wormhole says ".. The opening scene of STID is the first and only time we've seen the crew of any Enterprise doing any exploring in a Star Trek movie" and the following sentence names a ship containing an Enterprise crewmen (Chekov).
Exactly. It's called a straw man argument: Tulin rebutted a point which Wormhole was not, in fact, making, then used that as an excuse for launching the "Make up your mind!" shot.

Straw man, pivot to personal dig - same old tired shit.