RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,913
Posts: 5,331,128
Members: 24,558
Currently online: 475
Newest member: laurah2215

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 13 2014, 03:58 PM   #1186
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral
 
Brutal Strudel's Avatar
 
Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

The policy on reviving dead threads is pretty clearly "beep beep!"
__________________
Once every lifetime, we're swallowed by the whale.
Brutal Strudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 04:28 PM   #1187
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

If nuKirk got revived with magic blood, why can't a thread be revived?
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 04:43 PM   #1188
Cyke101
Rear Admiral
 
Cyke101's Avatar
 
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
The policy on reviving dead threads is pretty clearly "beep beep!"
Double yes!
__________________
“You do not use science in order to prove yourself right, you use science in order to become right.”
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 04:47 PM   #1189
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

The Starship Size Argument™ will never die.

Remember that guy insisting the bridge took up the entire of the USS Vengeance's centre dome? "Bridge is only a small portion of area"
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 05:40 PM   #1190
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
trevanian's Avatar
 
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
If nuKirk got revived with magic blood, why can't a thread be revived?
The fact that NuKirk got revived with magic blood should be proof enough that such revivals are not a good idea.

Having said that, I actually like it when threads PLANET OF THE TITANS and 'missing TMP spacewalk footage' get revived, because you never know when somebody will actually have come across something new.

but on this subject, once you have the proof that the ship got its scale revised during production, the whole thing seems about as productive as a 'star destroyer' vs fed starship' debate, which for me (to quote a David Gerrold character) is about as welcome as a fart in an airlock.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 06:36 PM   #1191
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

bryce wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
[...]

Maybe have sent Pike after Khan, Kirk as XO, Pike dies restarting the core, Kirk gets the Enterprise back for the 5 year mission at the very end.
No, not die, but...

[ IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/trektv/trektv/ttv_15/trek_tv_15.jpg[/ IMG]

[Converted to link. Embedded images should be hosted on web space registered to you. - M']

(Sorry to revive a dead thread...)
Bumping an inactive thread isn't automatically a bad thing (as long as it's on-topic - which this only sorta is, having nothing to do with the main Starship Size Argument™ discussion this thread was created to contain) but doing so while using an embedded image hotlinked from web space not your own is less-than-exemplary form. Better either to link to the page or to make your point without using a picture.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
The Starship Size Argument™ will never die.
Don't tempt me.
__________________
Dinosaurs are just really, really big chickens.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 04:27 AM   #1192
anotherdemon
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
anotherdemon's Avatar
 
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

Star Destroyer wins.
anotherdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 03:20 PM   #1193
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

anotherdemon wrote: View Post
Star Destroyer wins.
It's bigger, but since Trek has often pointed out that lasers are vastly more primitive than phasers, and SW ships have no shielding nor transporters, I doubt they'd stand much of a chance.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 03:50 PM   #1194
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey Falls
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

Then again, nuTrek phasers are pretty much blasters, because Abrams.
__________________
"In the future... do I make it?"
"No."
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 04:52 PM   #1195
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

The Abramsverse phasers look the same as the Wrath of Khan ones to me.

"because Meyer."
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 06:55 PM   #1196
WarpFactorZ
Captain
 
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
The Abramsverse phasers look the same as the Wrath of Khan ones to me.

"because Meyer."
Huh? WoK phasers are continuous beams. That they pulse in strength doesn't make them the same as Abrams' "quanta."
WarpFactorZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 08:30 PM   #1197
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

They're definitely pulses. Look when Kirk says "best guess, Mr. Sulu. Fire when ready."
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 08:55 PM   #1198
WarpFactorZ
Captain
 
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

.

Last edited by WarpFactorZ; February 15 2014 at 08:58 PM. Reason: I don't really care.
WarpFactorZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 09:30 PM   #1199
SeerSGB
Admiral
 
SeerSGB's Avatar
 
Location: Tennessee
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
They're definitely pulses. Look when Kirk says "best guess, Mr. Sulu. Fire when ready."
Don't leave out the pulse phasers from the Defiant--which are even closer to what we get in the NuVerse.
__________________
- SeerSGB -
Good men don't need rules, The Doctor (A Good Man Goes To War)
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 10:03 PM   #1200
ATimson
Rear Admiral
 
ATimson's Avatar
 
Location: Andrew Timson
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
It's bigger, but since Trek has often pointed out that lasers are vastly more primitive than phasers, and SW ships have no shielding nor transporters, I doubt they'd stand much of a chance.
Star Wars ships have shields. (They're mentioned in A New Hope during the attack on the Death Star. "All shields, double front!")

And if you accept the EU, the "lasers" are a different tech using the wrong name. Which makes sense, as what we see on screen aren't lasers.
__________________
Andrew Timson
===============
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others." - Brendan Moody

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
argument, size, starship

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.