When Will We Get a Date?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Tulin, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Hollywood seems obsessed with locking films in to some future date and "securing" that date in the way a military commander likes to claim a hill as personal territory. It's a dick waving exercise and we see studios claiming ridiculous assertions such as "Spiderman 6" will be premiering 6th of May 2022 or somesuch rubbish.

So when will we get a premiere date for the next ST film? Now with Abrams no longer directing, we can HOPE it won't be four years, so when will we even get a ball park date?

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Paramount want 2016, to coincide with Trek's 50th anniversary.

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Most big summer releases go into production early the preceding year, so if it's a summer 2016 release they'd likely be in production by the first quarter of 2015. If that's the track they intend there should be a director announced some time in the next few months, probably within four or five months at the most. I would expect a release date to be announced concurrently with the director announcement if a date hasn't been announced before that.

4. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I'm going to guess that a director won't sign on until the first draft of the script is done. Bob Orci made a comment on Trekmovie at the beginning of the year saying that they'd now started full time work on the movie which I'm assuming is the actual script. The question then is how long will it take to write?

5. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

[​IMG]

I'm not sure how announcing a tenuous release date well in advance is "dick-waving," but it seems odd that after saying that the OP is asking for dicks to wave and for Bad Robot to announce a release date way too early.

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

24 April 2016.

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

We'll get there when we get there. I know everyone wants them to do it for the 50th, but I just don't see the big deal. I wouldn't mind waiting for 2017.

Also, do dick waving exercises help at all?

8. JohnChod

JohnChod Captain Captain

Sorry, but I've got to disagree. Perhaps because I was actually a witness to the 1966 premiere, I definitely feel that a film coinciding with the 50th anniversary would be a 'big deal.'

Just as TUC was released as a 25th anniversary event, the 13th movie should be a 50th anniversary event.

Unlike TUC, the movie should incorporate an anniversary logo. I would love to see a nicely designed '50 years' splash screen at the start.

9. Tulin

Because, as I said above, studios like to "stake out" a release date and pin it down as belonging to them.

It's a "dick waving" exercise in that they are saying, "This is OUR date and opening weekend and we DARE other studios to release their fare on the same day".

I exaggerated with the Spiderman thing but Sony DID announce dates well into the latter half of the decade indicating supreme confidence in their Spiderman franchise. Maybe it's an Aussie term that is not known elsewhere but it means displaying utmost confidence in yourself and abilities in a crass and perhaps undeserved manner.

Dick waving.

:guffaw:

10. Tulin

Good point - also I remember interviews with Majel saying that ST IV was a present from them to us - a Christmas present(which I ALWAYS think of when I hear the little bells in the main title theme)AND a twentieth anniversary present!

God, to go back to those days!

It AMAZES me that there are probably people posting here who were NOT EVEN BORN when TVH premiered at cinemas! That just FLOORS me!

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The 50th anniversary hype helped both the Bond film Skyfall and the Doctor Who special.

12. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

the 50th release date is a must esp for the BO...there was an increase of almost 100m in box office from ST09 & STID with over 100m more from foreign which has always been a problem for trek films..so for the 50th anniversary it should do even more ( bond went from 600m to 1b)..a real event picture that will propel Trek into the big blockbuster league (SW,LOTR, Bond, batman, potter, TF etc) Im talking about 700m ww (300m domestic/400 overseas)

to do that theyd need a really great movie of course & something that encapsulates the whole of Trek for the 50th (like TUC, no Generations style misstep)

i dunno..maybe sumthing like this:)
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?p=9238768#post9238768

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  13. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow. If this guy gets a date, there's hope for the rest of the parent's basement dwellers. :techman:

Apologies Locutus, if that's a photo of you. ;)

14. Tulin

Yeah, I was wondering who that was too!

At the risk of insulting the OP of that picture, he looks like your stereotypical nerd!

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It's Dwight from The Office.

16. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doubtful.

The Who Anniversary only helped the Who Anniversary special. It's effect on the series itself was minimal.

And, with Skyfall, there's a lot of speculation just how much of an impact the anniversary really had. It was going to be a super success with or with out it. It was this generation's Goldfinger. It had the song, the looks, the action, and the style. It was bound to be huge with or without the anniversary. I wouldn't be surprised if two of every three people who went to see it only dimly aware of the anniversary. It it probably had no weight what-so-ever in their decision to buy a ticket.

EON learned its lesson with DAD, where they made the celebration part of the film. And it was a disaster. With Skyfall, they kept the anniversary stuff secondary to the film itself--like the Who special. Other than the DB5 (which is in a lot of films anyway), there were no celebratory gestures at all.

I'm not saying Paramount and CBS shouldn't do something special--like the who event. Or something like the Everything or Nothing film. But keep it away from the movie itself. Because, if they don't, there are two real possibilities:

1.) They fill the film up with homages, cameos, call-backs, and Livingston the fish, and it all completely takes everyone out of the film. Look at all the blow back from the radiation scene, and that actually had a thematic and artistic purpose. If they start doing that stuff solely to celebrate the anniversary, the internet will blow up. Literally. There will be so much nerd rage that the kinetic energy from the keyboard pounding will transfer to and accumulate in every server in the world causing them to explode.

2.) They rush the film before it's done just to meet the 50th date and it's shit. Bad Robot has a lot on its table the next five years. The worst thing Paramount can do is push them (with or without Abrams) to get the film out if it isn't ready. That's not to say they can't, but it's already a lot closer than you think.

17. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

EM This!

Something always missing from ideas on what the next Trek movie should be about is an inclusion of some connective tissue to the past, (or future) like TUC connected to TNG. *coughprimespockgoeshomecough* ;)

As for when we'll get a release date... *consults crystal ball* Soon.

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

No, "dick-waving" and "dick-waving contest" aren't uniquely Australian terms. Reading the TrekBBS forums over the last however-many years ought at least to have told you that much.

In a market where position at the opening of the summer movie season can be a significant factor in total revenues gained, a certain amount of jockeying for the optimum opening dates is only to be expected for the tentpole titles. I'm not sure why you saw fit to make a big deal about it now, though. They're just sending up balloons to see who notices, at this point, and every date will be subject to change for a while yet.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ns3BWYwWAM[/yt]

19. Tulin

Re: Picture of that nerd "Dwight" guy

Oh - is that the American Office?

If so, never seen it and never will.

There is only one "The Office" and that's the UK version.

20. Tulin

I wasn't aware I was "making a big deal" of it.

I was simply asking a question about the possible release date for the next ST film.....on the TREKBBS.

Weird, I know.

:wtf: