Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 23 2011, 10:54 PM   #16
bbailey861
Admiral

Re: The official Michael Dorn weight loss thread!

I cannot imagine removing meat entirely form the diet. I cannot condemn Mr. Dorn from doing this as it is a life choice, however from nutirtion point of view, I do not agree with the vegan lifestyle. Protein is too important to ignore and just getting it from pa,nt based products - i.e. nut etc. - is just too limiting. My wife and I do not always have meat - we eat vegetarian as well - but we do not exclude meat either. To each, their own.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 06:57 PM   #17
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
I cannot imagine removing meat entirely form the diet. I cannot condemn Mr. Dorn from doing this as it is a life choice, however from nutirtion point of view, I do not agree with the vegan lifestyle. Protein is too important to ignore and just getting it from pa,nt based products - i.e. nut etc. - is just too limiting. My wife and I do not always have meat - we eat vegetarian as well - but we do not exclude meat either. To each, their own.
Sorry, but you really don't know what you're talking about. I don't know how many vegetarians there are on the Earth, but it must be many thousands. I haven't ingested any animal flesh for over 30 years, and I'm constantly being told that I look at least 10 years younger than my age. That, of course, could be partly genetics, but I am generally very healthy. Other than the occasional slight head cold, and now aching joints in my old age, I couldn't be healthier. I've also lifted weights for 30 years, and I don't think I look sickly.

I don't see what's limiting about a vegetarian diet. I get plenty of protein from plant-based products. Often my choices in restaurants are limited, but those restaurants have lost me as a regular customer, and there are plenty of veg-friendly restaurants to choose from.

I also have avoided the diabetes that are on both parents' sides of the family.

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2011, 03:26 PM   #18
indolover
Fleet Captain

It could just be that Dorn worked out a lot in the TNG run. But his build in Heart of Glory relative to Birthright Pt. II is noticeable. Even still, in both TNG and DS9 he was never fat. The only fat actor/actress ever in Trek was James Doohan (in the films at least).

But Dorn has aged better than Frakes. I saw "Captain's Chair" the other day, and boy he's grown.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2011, 08:48 PM   #19
Worf'sParmach
Commander

indolover wrote: View Post
It could just be that Dorn worked out a lot in the TNG run. But his build in Heart of Glory relative to Birthright Pt. II is noticeable.
I agree, though I think there is a considerable amount of padding on Dorn in Birthright in order to make him look more muscular. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Dorn was almost always padded, which is why (even with all the sex Worf gets to have on DS9) we never see what any part of him looks like under that uniform.
Old February 15 2014, 07:37 AM   #20
andrewN
Cadet

Losing weight take a lot of time, effort and money. Americans spend millions every year on weight loss plans, books and gadgets. Here is another, introduced at the Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show in Jan. The HAPIfork might be the most costly piece of silverware you will ever buy. But if it helps to curb tendencies to overeat in some, it may be worth its weight in gold. Source of article: Electronic HAPIfork.
andrewN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 07:12 PM   #21
Shat Happens
Commander

let me post something here before the thread is closed

Last edited by Shat Happens; February 20 2014 at 07:22 PM.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 05:17 AM   #22
Lance
Fleet Captain

MrPointy wrote: View Post
Though he now looks like Gus Fring from Breaking Bad.
I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks that.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote