RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,713
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 602
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old February 14 2014, 06:01 PM   #16
Redfern
Commodore

Re: If Doctor Who was an American show from the beginning

I read a similar themed thread upon the old Outpost Gallifrey site and someone suggested Jonathan Harris as the first Doctor. Yeah, I know, "NO! NOT Dr. Smith!!!" Well certainly not what his character devolved into by the latter half of the first season onwards. But in the beginning, Smith was actually clever and calculating, willing to "dirty" his hands.

I think about the way Hartnell played the Doctor in the first three serials, right up to his "revelation" at the climax of "The Brink of Disaster". He was not a very likeable fellow. He kidnaps the teachers. He gets himself captured by the tribe of Gumm which leads to the others getting caught trying to rescue him. He intended to "brain" an injured caveman with a rock! In the Dalek serial, he fakes damage to the TARDIS just so he can explore the alien city. And while not directly his fault, the fact the Daleks take the fluid link complicates their crisis. And during "The Edge of Destruction", he accuses the teachers of sabotaging the craft. (Ahem, "Pot calling kettle...")

Don't these things seem like the schtick Dr. Smith would do? Before Smith devolved into a cringing coward, Harris did imbue Smith with a certain malevolent charm. Certainly he had a "seasoned" and expressive face that would have worked well for this mysterious stranger from another time.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2014, 06:16 PM   #17
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I'm having a hard time imagining Six running around talking about "More Cowbell", but everyone else seems a very good Mirror Universe version (Though, I would love to see Christopher Walken as The Doctor, just not as an Alternate Six)
There's more to Walken than cowbells. As outlined in the article the producers were trying to avoid the patchwork coat but if they had instead embraced it I could see Robin Williams at the time being able to pull off a manic American Sixth Doctor.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2014, 06:46 PM   #18
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
I'm having a hard time imagining Six running around talking about "More Cowbell", but everyone else seems a very good Mirror Universe version (Though, I would love to see Christopher Walken as The Doctor, just not as an Alternate Six)
There's more to Walken than cowbells. As outlined in the article the producers were trying to avoid the patchwork coat but if they had instead embraced it I could see Robin Williams at the time being able to pull off a manic American Sixth Doctor.
Yea, the cowbell comment was a joke.

I'm a great fan of Christopher Walken, I've never been disappointed by his performance. As I said, I think he would make a great doctor, I just don't think Six is the right one to be an alternate mirror of.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2014, 08:24 PM   #19
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ I agree Sindatur. The comparison is very flattering to Colin Baker!
Old February 14 2014, 10:15 PM   #20
BlastHardcheese
Lieutenant Commander

Ernest Borgnine would've made a great 2nd Doctor. I'd have picked Christopher Lloyd for 6 if in this fictional universe, Back to the Future had never been made. And George Clooney for 8. He was the 90s TV prettyboy after all, and I could imagine him filming a TV movie that went nowhere back then. I'd also pick Kiefer Sutherland for 9 and the series revival.
BlastHardcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2014, 10:27 PM   #21
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Chris Lloyd for 6 - YES!!! Infinitely better than Colin B, but definitely a better point of comparison than Walken.
Old February 14 2014, 11:37 PM   #22
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Having trouble imagining Sam Rockwell as the Doctor though. I've seen him in plenty of stuff, so I don't know what it is. Maybe I'm just comparing him to Tennant directly and that's the problem.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2014, 11:58 PM   #23
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

lol, some of the casting choices are actually great!

I think they should make a Doctor Who US set in an alternate timeline. Would be good.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 12:37 AM   #24
Lance
Commodore

Starkers wrote: View Post
Plus you could argue that Tom, Colin and Sylvester weren't that well known before they took on the role.
Actually Colin and Sylv were both quite well known at the time, in the UK at least.

Colin Baker had one of television's more high profile "bad guy" roles during the late 1970s as Paul Merroney in the Dynasty-esque quasi-soap The Brothers. He certainly wasn't by any means a no-name when he got the role of Doctor Who.

Sylv was probably lesser known than Colin, but many people were aware of him from his time with the Ken Campbell roadshow. So much so that "Ferret down the pants" jokes were immediately made at his expense once he was announced in the role (one of his best known routines involved, allegedly, putting these rodents down his trousers live on stage).

Tom Baker, on the other hand... I'll give you that one. For perhaps the most famous classic Doctor of all, he really *was* practically unknown by the public at large when he was cast, although he had a good reputation with the casting agents within the industry itself (which is how his name got put forward to then Doctor Who producer Barry Letts in the first place).
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 04:03 AM   #25
diankra
Commodore

Icemizer wrote: View Post
I would have changed a few of them.

1st Ray Walston older, grumpy but with a kind heart.
2nd Robert Vaughn a smooth and dangerous doctor
5th Patrick Duffy Very alien look but peaceful
6th Matt Frewer A very dark Doctor indeed
7th Robert Culp You knew it was over with this casting
Walston very yes for the first. Vaughn is surely more of an alternative to Pertwee?
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 05:07 AM   #26
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

So who played Dr. Who in the two films released in the 60s?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 05:38 AM   #27
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
So who played Dr. Who in the two films released in the 60s?
Though the linked site has Vincent Price as the third Doctor it would seem to me like he'd be a good choice of an equivalent to Peter Cushing. Perhaps the films would have been done by Roger Corman?
Old February 15 2014, 08:36 AM   #28
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

What shape would the Tardis have been? Is there a comparable American object of similar size?
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 09:17 AM   #29
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
What shape would the Tardis have been? Is there a comparable American object of similar size?
Old February 15 2014, 10:06 AM   #30
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

It occurred to me that Peter Capaldi has won an Oscar for a non-acting role (Franz Kafka's It's a Wonderful Life) and played a spin doctor based on Tony Blair's spin doctor, Alistair Campbell. So his equivalent would have to be Billy Bob Thornton, who won an Oscar for writing Sling Blade (but not acting) and who played a character based on Bill Clinton's adviser James Carville in Primary Colours. And just like Capaldi's Scottish accent will distinguish him from most of his predecessors, so would BBT's southern accent.