RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,674
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 526
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old January 22 2014, 06:03 PM   #16
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: F1 2014 Championship Thread

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/01/2...picture-vjm07/

Nice new colour scheme

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 01:41 AM   #17
arch101
Fleet Captain

The new Williams has come out. It's giving everyone the finger.
Old January 24 2014, 01:50 AM   #18
Zulu Romeo
is doing this now

I'm reminded of the Aardvark from the Pink Panther cartoons all of a sudden.

I continue to be Zion Ravescene...
Zulu Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 08:33 PM   #19
Lonemagpie
Writer

And I see that McLaren have launched their car, and poached Eric Boullier to run the team...

Old January 24 2014, 09:22 PM   #20
MacLeod
Admiral

Are any of us really suprised that Whitmarsh has been replaced? Last season was a disaster by McLaren standards, and the year before that losing Lewis (generally considered to be one of the best drivers on the grid), and the fact that Lewis replaced was let go after a single season won't have helped his cause.

Though I'm somewhat suprised at MW's replacement. But perhaps going outside of the team was the right way to go. New eyes etc..
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 12:43 PM   #21
Lonemagpie
Writer

I wish they could have poached Ross Brawn, really...

Old January 28 2014, 03:39 PM   #22
MacLeod
Admiral

And Lewis has crashed on Day 1 of the first pre=season test. Looks like it's down to front wing faiulure though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25924834
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old February 2 2014, 02:49 PM   #23
MacLeod
Admiral

Looks like Red Bull had a torrid first pre-season test, but this being the first pre-season test it's not an indicator of how the season will go. As for the others as we don't know the fuel loads we can't really say.

As for the new noses, I think the worst of the bunch is the Caterham.
Old February 6 2014, 12:48 PM   #24
Pingfah
Admiral

So. Who here has seen Rush? Thoughts?

I thoroughly enjoyed it, I was surprised to find it focus more on Lauda than Hunt because the marketing suggested quite the opposite, but both actors put in sensational performances and the attention to detail, particularly with the cars was phenomenal.

Besides that, it was just very riveting, the race scenes were spectacular and it was just an all round damn likeable, thoughtful and considered movie.
Old February 11 2014, 10:48 PM   #25
MacLeod
Admiral

I missed this rule change, a pole trophy is to be introduced in 2014, which is awarded at the end of the season to the driver who had the mostg poles. In case of a tie the same rules apply as those that apply to the Championships, highest number of 2nd places in case of a tie highest number of 3rd places and so on.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin.../12/15345.html
Old February 14 2014, 12:46 AM   #26
arch101
Fleet Captain

^^^ Wish they could get Anhauser-Busch to sponsor a Bud Pole Award for F1, too. It'd be so entertainingly low-brow for that world.
Old February 22 2014, 12:06 AM   #27
MacLeod
Admiral

Well the 2nd pre-season test is almost over. And whilst it is still to early to say things are looking good for the Merc and Ferrari powered teams, not quite so good for the Renault power teams.

But the crucial thing is that the Engine specification deadline is looming in seven days they have to be sumbitted to the FIA. After which they can only be changed for safety, cost-cutting or reliabilty issues.

And it seems as if Bernie want's to go ahead with his crazy plan for the last three races to be double points. I like many fans and others within the sport don't like the idea. But if they must go ahead with it why not go with a Joker system, where by each team can select the race at which they can score double points. But they have to nominate it before quali begins.

So Red Bull might go for Austria
Mercedes Germany
McLaren Britain

Last edited by MacLeod; February 22 2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old February 27 2014, 05:11 PM   #28
MacLeod
Admiral

Well the third and final pre-season is test and it's another day of woes for RBR, but the bigger story is it's D-Day for the engines tomorrow the 28th Feb. Will Renault be allowed dispensention to improve the reliability their engines?

I don't think that they should, they like Ferrari and Mercedes knew the date. It appears as if Ferrari and Mercedes got their engines ready, why should Renault get an extension because they failed to meet the deadline? It's not exactly fair to Ferrari or Mecedes.

Don't we actually have to wait until we've had 2 or 3 races before we can get an idea of how realiable the enginges are? If there is one does it affect all teams powered by that supplier if so it's an enginge problem, if not it's related to the individual team. So Renault shouldn't get a dispensenation.

Besides Renault got off light with the whole Crashgate scandel from a few years back they brought the sport in disrupte but got a far less serve sentance than McLaren did for spying. Which is worse deliberalty risking the lifes of drivers, marshalls and spectators to win a race or spying?
Old March 1 2014, 09:46 PM   #29
MacLeod
Admiral

And thankfully the crazy idea to extend double oints to the USA and Brazil have not been approved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/26387836

But that still leaves us with 18 races which are worth less the last race.
Old March 1 2014, 10:33 PM   #30
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

Red Bull didn't even get a single full lap in today. *insert Nelson 'HA ha' here*

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote