Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

View Poll Results: Rate "The Enemy Within"
1 1 2.70%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 4 10.81%
6 11 29.73%
7 4 10.81%
8 6 16.22%
9 6 16.22%
10 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 12 2014, 03:19 AM   #46
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Re: Episode of the Week : The Enemy Within

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Which is fine for real people, but it seems out of character for a scripted regular. But it was early in the series' development and Bones was a little crankier.

There's a sense in which the earliest TOS episodes were a little more sophisticated than the later, polished ones. Before the actors got their egos fully invested in fictional identities and these characters took on a life of their own ("My guy would never say that, re-write it!"), there was a rough-edged naturalism to the dialogue, with raw, unflattering emotions coming out more often.

In this light, you could say that Star Trek followed the opposite path of Battlestar Galactica. Where ST began with some rough and raw naturalism and evolved into idealized romanticism, BG's original series was romanticised while the Ronald Moore remake went to extremes of naturalism.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2014, 03:56 AM   #47
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

But he is not an evil twin, or "bad kirk." Id/passion-Kirk is in fact good, for without him there is no Kirk-as-we-know-him. That twist, illustrating our id as a good and necessary component is a marvelous thing by Mr. Matheson. Along with the weakness and insufficiency of what we normally term "good." I show this ep in my psych class and have the kids cf. to Freud's tripartite model. I do not deny the episode's flaws, but because of its greatness, I give it a 10.

One of the great teleplays ever, imho.
Old February 12 2014, 04:42 AM   #48
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

In high school English, when we were studying Lord of the Flies, I showed an edited version of "The Enemy Within" to draw parallels between Ralph and Jack and the two sides of Kirk. Got a 115%.
Old February 12 2014, 05:51 AM   #49
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile

TRIVIA :

Actor Ed Madden (Geological Technician Fisher), also played the role of the "Geologist" in The Cage. Same character?
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2014, 05:54 AM   #50
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Botany Bay wrote: View Post
TRIVIA :

Actor Ed Madden (Geological Technician Fisher), also played the role of the "Geologist" in The Cage. Same character?
I've wondered that, too. Doesn't he even say something in The Cage about "Geological lab report ready, sir."?

(well, duh..Botany Bay mentioned geology, so I guess that's a bit redundant to point that out!)
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2014, 06:21 AM   #51
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

TRIVIA :

I never noticed that!

I'm sure he was meant to be the same guy, because otherwise why make Fisher a geologist? It seems oddly specific. And the supposed 13 year time difference would not be thought of until mid-season.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2014, 04:04 PM   #52
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

I'm not as sure they put that much thought into it. Probably more of a casting coincidence since the guy in The Cage had like, what, 2 lines?

For those who are put off by Spock's comment about "interesting qualities" at the end, at least it wasn't left as Matheson intended: he had JANICE say it! As it stands, you can chalk it up to Spock's alien insensitivity.

http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/ar...nemywithin.htm
Old February 13 2014, 04:56 AM   #53
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile

TRIVIA :

What happened to Kirk's insignia when he was wearing his gold shirt? Cushman (2013) says that the badges were removed each night when the uniforms were sent off for cleaning. When somebody forgot to sew it back on the next day, in their frantic race to meet airdates and shoot quickly, everyone assumed it was an intentional omission ordered by someone or other, and nobody questioned it.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 09:40 PM   #54
plynch
Commodore

TRIVIA :

What happened to Kirk's insignia when he was wearing his gold shirt? Cushman (2013) says that the badges were removed each night when the uniforms were sent off for cleaning. When somebody forgot to sew it back on the next day, in their frantic race to meet airdates and shoot quickly, everyone assumed it was an intentional omission ordered by someone or other, and nobody questioned it.
People here speak of a perceived propensity on Mr. Cushman's part to make inferences and write of them as if facts. Does the author cite that statement?
Old February 13 2014, 09:43 PM   #55
Warped9
Admiral

plynch wrote: View Post
TRIVIA :

People here speak of a perceived propensity on Mr. Cushman's part to make inferences and write of them as if facts. Does the author cite that statement?
Actually it was several years ago that I heaard of that explanation for the missing insignia.
Old February 13 2014, 10:00 PM   #56
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
TRIVIA :

Actually it was several years ago that I heaard of that explanation for the missing insignia.
Which part? The part that somebody forgot to sew it back on? That many ["everyone" sic] in the production crew noticed it, but no one spoke up for the reason alleged? Or, all of it?
Old February 14 2014, 02:49 AM   #57
Harvey
Admiral

TRIVIA :

The author doesn't cite except when printing a quotation. And those, alas, sometimes don't have a citation, either (or have a citation number which doesn't exist in the back of the book!).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2014, 03:07 AM   #58
Warped9
Admiral

I read the uniforms had to be washed but the insignia (and likely the braiding as well) removed first. They were rushed and yet overlooked to sew the insignia back on. When it was noticed they didn't have time to go back and reshoot it and figured next to no one would probably notice anyway. I know I didn't the first few viewings.
Old February 14 2014, 03:48 AM   #59
plynch
Commodore

i thought it was so when they flipped the film over for id-Kirk the badge wouldn't be on the wrong side. More noticable to the casual viewer than if just missing.
Old February 14 2014, 03:20 PM   #60
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

I'm no weather expert, but at -117 degrees (Fahrenheit, I assume), with only blankets and their uniforms, wouldn't the landing party be, well, dead? If they had the kind of clothing you'd wear in the Yukon or something, I could see them holding out. But to me the temperature seems very extreme. The guys would be in just as much danger of dying from exposure and hypothermia at much higher temperatures.

This crossed my mind as temperatures dipped into the single digits recently and I was fricking painfully cold in my non windy driveway all bundled up.