MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 7 2014, 08:55 PM   #106
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: The Seekers

David Mack wrote: View Post
^ Don't expect to see any of them in Seekers.
That seems pretty definitive - I didn't really expect to.

Then again, what about in something that's not Seekers ? It just strikes me that there's a few non Starfleet characters around in the 23rd Century that might just have a story or two left in them...
Old February 7 2014, 09:28 PM   #107
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

One never knows, but at this time I have no plans to revisit any of the Vanguard principal characters, other than the crews of the Sagittarius and the Endeavour.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 09:39 PM   #108
Relayer1
Commodore

^ Fair enough. It's your corner of the sandbox after all. Please let me know if you change your mind...

I'm looking forward to Seekers anyway !
Old February 7 2014, 10:15 PM   #109
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they now had titles for merchandising and sales purposes. Pocket wouldn't want people in bookstores to miss a book because they were confused by the lack of a title
Peter Gabriel fans never had that problem.
Old February 7 2014, 10:31 PM   #110
Relayer1
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they now had titles for merchandising and sales purposes. Pocket wouldn't want people in bookstores to miss a book because they were confused by the lack of a title
Peter Gabriel fans never had that problem.
I lost interest when he started naming albums...
Old February 8 2014, 04:55 AM   #111
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Quinn being free and clear? I'm fine with that.

Pennington getting his own adventures apart from anything else in the TOS era...might be interesting. Ditto for Nogura. Neither character need show up in the Seekers books at all.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer

Last edited by DEWLine; February 8 2014 at 04:56 AM. Reason: clarification
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 09:25 PM   #112
Jedi Ben
Lieutenant

One thing that really interested me in The Fall: A Ceremony of Losses was the Operation Vanguard and Shedai references so have decided to give it a whirl. Turns out the first 3 Vanguard books are harder to get than the others so have bagged those first.

Will likely preorder this duo, if I get on well with the Vanguard trio. I suspect it's likely as I tend enjoy these little mini-author-verses a lot.
Jedi Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2014, 12:50 AM   #113
JWolf
Commodore

Jedi Ben wrote: View Post
One thing that really interested me in The Fall: A Ceremony of Losses was the Operation Vanguard and Shedai references so have decided to give it a whirl. Turns out the first 3 Vanguard books are harder to get than the others so have bagged those first.

Will likely preorder this duo, if I get on well with the Vanguard trio. I suspect it's likely as I tend enjoy these little mini-author-verses a lot.
Actually, it's trivial to get ALL of the Vanguard books. Just buy them as eBooks and you can get them no trouble at all.
Old February 14 2014, 12:55 AM   #114
David Mack
Writer

^ Unfortunately, because of some major weirdness in S&S's pricing algorithms (which links increases in print version costs to eBook costs for some titles), the prices of the Kindle, Apple iBook, and Nook versions of Reap the Whirlwind are all outrageously high, for no good reason. I recommend finding used copies on ABEBooks whenever possible.

Old February 14 2014, 12:57 AM   #115
Jedi Ben
Lieutenant

JWolf wrote: View Post
Actually, it's trivial to get ALL of the Vanguard books. Just buy them as eBooks and you can get them no trouble at all.
Just can't get into that format. I spend 8 hours a day screen-reading, don't really want that for the fun stuff.

I still like holding a book!
Old February 14 2014, 01:12 AM   #116
David Mack
Writer

For those who do like eBooks, it might be possible to acquire the nook version of Reap the Whirlwind more economically via nook.com in the UK, which sells the nook version for £3.99 (roughly $6.67 USD). Also, amazon.co.uk sells the Kindle version of Reap the Whirlwind for the same price. If you sign up on those sites with a U.S. address, it might be possible to buy the eBooks from them without paying VAT, since that applies only to EU residents. (Unless these eBooks are region-restricted; anybody know anything about that?)

UPDATE: I registered an account at amazon.co.uk and it was able to sense that I was in the U.S., and as such, it won't let me buy Kindle ebooks through their site. So this advice helps my European fans, but not the Yanks or the Canucks.

Last edited by David Mack; February 14 2014 at 01:40 AM.
Old February 14 2014, 02:06 AM   #117
Relayer1
Commodore

You can apparently get software that lets you be in any country you like for internet purposes. I've heard of it being used to register for foreign Netflix accounts and similar. I'd think it would work for ebooks too.

I don't think it's actually illegal (I'm not sure though) and I don't know what it's called, but you can probably find a download out there somewhere - other people have...
Old February 14 2014, 03:41 AM   #118
David Mack
Writer

I suspect the key to that would be masking one's original IP address and then having a service like TOR mask one's location. However, there might also be a second layer of verification, such as checking the billing address of one's credit cards, and banning sale to those with addresses outside the permitted region.

Old February 14 2014, 03:27 PM   #119
Jedi Ben
Lieutenant

That whole business of region-locking eBooks, much like DVDs, would exasperate me if I were buying. It just offends the bargain hunter in me - what do you mean I'm not allowed to buy that at this price because I live in X?
Old February 14 2014, 07:38 PM   #120
Jedi Ben
Lieutenant

By the by, for UK posters interested in this series, Book Depository are offering them at a prebuy price of £4.31 each - hard to say how much longer they will be doing that for though.

Given the RRP ends up as £6.99, it's quite a bargain. If you scan the site for advance releases, you can prebuy the books for as low as £3.84!

(I'm aware people's experience with BD varies, but I've never had any problems myself.)