Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old February 13 2014, 08:46 AM   #16
Lt.Juliet
Ensign

Re: Freighters and Cargoships

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Norway_class says it is a cruiser. Nothing mentions containers. Do you mean another norway-class?
Lt.Juliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 07:33 PM   #17
Manticore
Rear Admiral

Lt.Juliet wrote: View Post
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Norway_class says it is a cruiser. Nothing mentions containers. Do you mean another norway-class?
That's all non-canon. There's so little officially known about the Norway that she could be anything.
Old February 13 2014, 08:39 PM   #18
Shik
Commander

Assuming you were looking just at Federation/Starfleet logistical vessels, Deneva was a cargo carrier. You've got the Huron-type design, both Y- & J-classes, not to mention the Yorkshire/Antares/Woden-type.
Old February 14 2014, 01:58 AM   #19
Nob Akimoto
Captain

View Nob Akimoto's Twitter Profile

Note that "freighter" is an explicitly civilian term because it charges freight - that is, it charges money or a fee for conveying its cargo. In fact in the age of sail warships could often charge freight money, because they would be used to convey high value articles like bullion, with the captain (and admiral) receiving a small percentage of the total value.

The generic term for things that haul stuff is usually a cargo ship or carrier. Transports, tenders, tankers, colliers, ammunition ships, all fall under those distinctions as auxiliaries.

I do tend to wonder at what level Starfleet maintains auxiliaries and whether or not they repurpose starships for that purpose. The extensive starbase network would seem to argue against them having a large fleet of auxiliaries, if only because the starbases seem to be pretty self-sufficient.
Nob Akimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2014, 07:16 PM   #20
Shik
Commander

But one still needs ships to move the items from starbase to starbase, thus our "Class 6 supply ship" & the like. Commodities are still somewhat essential, it seems; otherwise in the 24th century we'd just have a couple couriers dropping an isolinear chip off at places with replicator patterns for the whatever. Also, what happens when you can't make it to a starbase? Gotta unrep somehow.
Old February 14 2014, 10:02 PM   #21
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Manticore wrote: View Post
That's all non-canon. There's so little officially known about the Norway that she could be anything.
Since a Norway-class ship was explicitly shown participating in the battle against the Borg in ST:FC, I think we can assume it is exactly what it looks like: a Starfleet vessel, no more, no less.
Old February 15 2014, 12:18 AM   #22
EmperorTiberius
Captain

My guess is Miranda, Intrepid, Nebula, and Akira are all logistics ships which carry supplies in times of peace. In war, they can be armored and used as second-rate backup ships. Some of them might even be garbage scows
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 12:21 AM   #23
Johnny
Commander

Not that I can help with any on screen evidence, but I do sometimes wonder about the economics of the the federation.

ie: people are going to want to get around but don't have their own ships, and the federation don't have the capacity to move mass civilian population, so some enterprising young engineer applies for three ships to be built that he can use to ferry people from one planet to another. And there's a private venture.

Also, the cabbage grown on another planet is really tasty and they need to ship it around. they won't do it themselves so they contact mr enterprising engineer, and he uses part of his cargo space for shipping cabbages.

All of a sudden it's taking off and there's a fleet of cargo ships that are privately 'owned/used'! Shame we never see them.

I like the idea that people do things because they love it! It makes me all fuzzy!

I always figured that starfleet ships would ship starfleet cargo around. It would seem unusual to ship around civilian people/things unless in emergencies.
Old February 15 2014, 03:34 AM   #24
blssdwlf
Commodore

Johnny wrote: View Post
I always figured that starfleet ships would ship starfleet cargo around. It would seem unusual to ship around civilian people/things unless in emergencies.
Yep, Starfleet ships in general also double as cargo/supply ships. This was done alot in TOS and in TNG we still see the E-D making deliveries.

Civilian/commercial freighters, cargo ships, cruise liners etc exist but they're not the focus of most Trek series and thus we don't see them as often, IMHO.
Old February 15 2014, 09:08 PM   #25
SicOne
Commodore

Manticore wrote: View Post
That's the one. Aside from very little being officially known about the class, I was looking for an in-universe explanation for her design. A big-ass container for cargo would fit right in that spot. Otherwise, the design of this class doesn't make a helluva lot of sense.
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 10:52 AM   #26
Lt.Juliet
Ensign

How are those starbases built? Wouldn't that need a lot of resources and therefore ships to carry them in the first place?
Lt.Juliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 11:02 AM   #27
AverageWriter
Lieutenant

I guess we don't see many Federation Freighters because the writers think they're not interesting enough.
We saw a few of them in the Animated Series like the Antares. In TNG I think the Lalo was a Freighter, too, but I could be wrong about that.
AverageWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 12:42 PM   #28
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

How are those starbases built? Wouldn't that need a lot of resources and therefore ships to carry them in the first place?
Could be built by a mix of different vessels carrying construction materials, equipment and various supplies, both Starfleet and civilian. Even the Enterprise-D was used to make a cargo run to Deep Space Nine to deliver the station's initial batch of runabouts.
Old February 21 2014, 03:49 PM   #29
J.T.B.
Commodore

Transport of cargo in ships like Enterprise would actually seem to weigh in favor of having dedicated cargo vessels. While it might work for relatively small volumes of stores or emergency situations to be shipped on a cruiser, problems would come when the vessels' multi-purpose roles conflict. If you need X-cargo at Y-location at Z-time, but it is shipping on a cruiser that is needed for a tactical situation at location-A immediately, that doesn't work.

It has also been real-world experience that military logistics is best handled at a high enough level that it can be prioritized without regard to "local" considerations by individual commanders. The US Transportation Command today is a unified command with full control of its own assets and a four-star commander who answers only to the Secretary of Defense and President. Unless Enterprise changes chains-of-command for transportation missions, it seems unlikely that vessels like her would be used as transports on anything more than an occasional ad hoc basis.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 05:52 PM   #30
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Nob Akimoto wrote: View Post
in the age of sail warships could often charge freight money
An interesting possibility that Starfleet might charge freight costs for carrying civilian shipping into places where private ships don't operate, or operate rarely.

Like in Dagger of the Mind, cargo going to and from the Tantalus colony.

Add to the list of freighter the Astral Queen. Passager ships do carry freight, and freighters occasional carry passagers.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote