Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old February 10 2014, 01:40 PM   #16
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Re: NFL Offseason '14: Wake me up when minicamps start

Draft him. Sign Tebow. Make them roommates during training camp. Call up Hard Knocks. Profit.
Old February 10 2014, 05:21 PM   #17
tighr
Commodore

Heard a good point on Sirius NFL radio this morning. Even before this announcement, he was a 4-5 round prospect. We're having a completely different conversation if he was already a 1-2 round prospect.

Teams will pass on him not because of his orientation, but because whichever team drafts him is going to by default get attention which will cause a distraction (i.e., non-traditional tv shows and magazines who don't typically talk about football will try and get interviews/articles about him). The distraction will be more of a concern than how good of a special teams player he will be (which is what he will be). Unfortunately, like all players, if he doesn't get results on special teams, he will be cut, and that will also invite media distraction.

They also said this is the same reason no one picks up Tebow as even a 3rd QB, even though it's highly likely that Tebow is one of the top NINETY available quarterbacks today.

I'm also sick of analysts talking about "the media". Since when did the media stop thinking they were part of "the media" themselves?
Old February 10 2014, 05:28 PM   #18
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

tighr wrote: View Post
I'm also sick of analysts talking about "the media". Since when did the media stop thinking they were part of "the media" themselves?
Probably a few years after Disney bought Cap Cities and ESPN gradually moved from being "a channel where dudes talk about sports" to "SPORTS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS."
Old February 10 2014, 05:53 PM   #19
Scout101
Admiral

Teams will pass on him not because of his orientation, but because whichever team drafts him is going to by default get attention which will cause a distraction (i.e., non-traditional tv shows and magazines who don't typically talk about football will try and get interviews/articles about him). The distraction will be more of a concern than how good of a special teams player he will be (which is what he will be). Unfortunately, like all players, if he doesn't get results on special teams, he will be cut, and that will also invite media distraction.

They also said this is the same reason no one picks up Tebow as even a 3rd QB, even though it's highly likely that Tebow is one of the top NINETY available quarterbacks today.
BAD teams will do exactly that, because they're one media circus away from imploding. Good teams could figure out a way to handle it.

Just as a direct response to your last bit, the Patriots DID pick up Tebow as a 3rd QB for at least the pre-season. Did the media thing for a couple days, then calmed down. And they cut him because he wasn't a good QB, not because he was a distraction...

So again, a GOOD team with competent management and some solid locker room leaders should be able to handle this without too much issue. It'll completely destroy the season of a bad team. Going to the Jets or Dolphins may be slightly different than the Patriots or Packers...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old February 10 2014, 07:39 PM   #20
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

It's going to be a distraction in the media when they sign him, and another if he gets cut. As for nontraditional media, there have already been articles in gay magazines I've never heard of before as opposed to your typical sports pages. I don't care what he does in the bedroom, but if you're going to be a story each week, is it worth taking him?
Old February 10 2014, 08:07 PM   #21
Scout101
Admiral

At that point, isn't it really just down to: Can he PLAY? If he's any good, then absolutely, yes. If not, doesn't matter if he's Queer Eye or Marlboro Man, he can't help the team.

Like I said, a non-clusterfuck of a team won't have a problem with this, and can deal with the attention and deflect/make it a non-issue. A mediocre or bad team will get eaten alive by this, there will be instant hazing stories, fighting in the locker room, all that nonsense.

If teams pass on a good player due to fear of media puff pieces, they deserve what they get, and it's likely not even in the top 5 of fuckups they'll make this offseason. If they take him just BECAUSE of the media attention (and he can't play), just as big a mistake. Jackie Robinson's story was only interesting because he was good. Otherwise, you just get a Tebow to the Jets level of media circus, and a 3rd string QB dominates your storylines and tears apart your locker room and leadership...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
Old February 10 2014, 09:58 PM   #22
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

Sam was named the SEC Defensive Player of the Year this past season and was an integral part of a Missouri team that went to the SEC championship game. I think it's clear that he can play.

I can see teams with their heads on straight taking him, like the Patriots, 49ers, or Seahawks, but the majority of teams will shy away from him because of the media attention drafting him would bring. But I suspect there will be some team out there dumb enough to draft him just for the headline. Sounds kind of like something the Jets would do, actually...
Old February 10 2014, 10:15 PM   #23
Scout101
Admiral

And Tebow wasn't too shabby at Florida; it's a matter of whether he can make the jump to Pro ball. In the NFL, he's a little undersized for DE, and not a natural LB. Not to say he can't figure it out, it's just not a slam dunk case of a clear 1st rounder falling to the 4th because he's gay. This may make him fall a little further than he would otherwise, but he'sa 3rd or 4th rounder and a little bit of a projection/project at this point.

And like the nonsense with Manti T'eo last year, someone that can figure it out might get a bargain...
Old February 10 2014, 11:06 PM   #24
tighr
Commodore

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Sam was named the SEC Defensive Player of the Year this past season and was an integral part of a Missouri team that went to the SEC championship game. I think it's clear that he can play.
Scout already beat me to it, but the counter-example is Tebow with two national championships, SEC records, and a Heisman under his belt. But even then, there were the questions about his technique and arm strength in the pros.

Despite all this, Tebow was still rated a 2nd round QB (and ultimately went in the 1st). Sam is projected 4-5th round. He's a special teamer.
Old February 11 2014, 12:27 AM   #25
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
^ Seattle isn't in the arctic tundra though.
Didn't say it'd be easy. Green Bay does fine in the cold.
Green Bay doesn't draft and trade based solely on the weather conditions, but it is does come into play. Minnesota on the other hand, structured their team to optimize the playing indoors. And they can't really change that just for the two years they'll be outdoors waiting for the new stadium to be finished. It should be an interesting few years.
Old February 13 2014, 12:33 AM   #26
The Lady Eve
Vice Admiral

Sports broadcasts are typically known for their punchy lists of best plays, epic goal countdowns and testosterone-fueled commentary.

Which makes Dale Hansen's address Monday night all the more remarkable. The Dallas sports anchor for ABC local affiliate WFAA took a break from the standard script to address the issue of Michael Sam, a defensive lineman poised to become the first openly gay player in the NFL.

The approximately two-minute segment, titled "Hansen Unplugged: Celebrating Our Differences," opens with a joke about Sam's "shocking" circumstance -- that he's the "best defensive player in football's best conference," yet only a third to fifth-round NFL pick ("Really?!?") -- before adopting a more serious tone and addressing Sam's critics and haters alike.

In particular, Hansen focuses on athletes who are deeply destructive to the world and people around them, yet are still revered for their on-field performance:

"You beat a woman and drag her down a flight of stairs, pulling her hair out by the roots? You're the fourth guy taken in the NFL draft. You kill people while driving drunk? That guy's welcome. Players caught in hotel rooms with illegal drugs and prostitutes? We know they're welcome. Players accused of rape and pay the woman to go away? You lie to police, trying to cover up a murder? We're comfortable with that."

Hansen then drives home the hypocrisy: "You love another man? Well, now you've gone too far!"

"I'm not always comfortable when a man tells me he's gay; I don't understand his world," Hansen adds later. "But I do understand that he's part of mine."

HuffPost

Old February 13 2014, 12:58 AM   #27
tighr
Commodore

The Lady Eve wrote: View Post
Sam's "shocking" circumstance -- that he's the "best defensive player in football's best conference," yet only a third to fifth-round NFL pick ("Really?!?")
Sam was a 3-5 round pick prior to his announcement.

That's not to say he's not a great player or that he wouldn't be a great addition to a team regardless of his status, but it is to say that there are ~150 other college athletes turning pro this year that would be better additions to teams.
Old February 13 2014, 02:21 AM   #28
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Pegaritaville wrote: View Post
Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
^ Seattle isn't in the arctic tundra though.
Didn't say it'd be easy. Green Bay does fine in the cold.
Green Bay doesn't draft and trade based solely on the weather conditions, but it is does come into play. Minnesota on the other hand, structured their team to optimize the playing indoors. And they can't really change that just for the two years they'll be outdoors waiting for the new stadium to be finished. It should be an interesting few years.
Minnesota is in a rebuilding mode anyway right? If they draft/trade for tougher players in the next couple years, that can't hurt once they're back indoors.
Old February 13 2014, 06:29 PM   #29
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

The Lady Eve wrote: View Post
Sam's "shocking" circumstance -- that he's the "best defensive player in football's best conference," yet only a third to fifth-round NFL pick ("Really?!?")
Sam was a 3-5 round pick prior to his announcement.

That's not to say he's not a great player or that he wouldn't be a great addition to a team regardless of his status, but it is to say that there are ~150 other college athletes turning pro this year that would be better additions to teams.
Third to fifth round still means he's getting drafted and probably playing in the NFL, probably an OLB in a 3-4 system. That alone makes him different from Tebow. People probably would have considered Tebow for some position other than QB.
Old February 13 2014, 06:43 PM   #30
tighr
Commodore

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
That alone makes him different from Tebow. People probably would have considered Tebow for some position other than QB.
People still do. If Tebow wants a shot in the NFL, he has been offered numerous times a contract if he was willing to play FB or TE or some other position that doesn't throw the ball. It's clear that Tebow is a big, physical guy with pure athletic skills, he just can't throw. He just declines to accept those offers, believing he's an NFL-caliber QB. He would have been worth the late 1st round pick he was taken with if he would only convert.

Guys like Manning and Brady are able to play QB well past their mid-30's precisely because they can throw. Guys who never learned to throw properly watch football on TV on Sundays.