TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 11 2014, 04:09 PM   #1
Jeyl
Commodore

Episode of the Week: 4x07 "Reunion"

TNG's Reunion is the third part in Worf's continued storyline where it combines two seemingly separate episodes by following up on both. One part featuring the return of K'Ehleyr from "The Emmisary" and the other part being the story that continues the events from "Sins of the Father". On one hand, we have to deal with the usual "Klingon Honor" schtick that is continuing to plague the Klingons of TNG. On the other hand, Yay! K'Ehleyr is back and she delivers the best response to this whole situation.

K'Ehleyr: The Klingon Empire is at a critical juncture. We may be facing civil war.
Riker: War over what?
K'Ehleyr: The usual excuses. Tradition, duty, honour.
It's so good to have her back, but unfortunately her return has come with a price. A price that I'm sad to say was totally not worth paying. She brought Worf's illegitimate son!

(Of course it had to be a son.)

Moving on, "Reunion" is also the first episode of TNG to introduce Star Trek to one of it's most memorable reoccurring Klingon characters, Gowron! Not only will he play an important roll in Worf's continuing story in TNG, but will play a much larger one in the later seasons of Deep Space Nine. Robert O'Reilly plays the role of Gowron with such energy and commanding presence that it's impossible not to be intimidated by him. And that stare...

After a bunch of nonsense about who should rule the Empire and who follows the real way of the Klingons, K'Ehleyr decides to investigate into what actually happened with Worf during his discommendation, and Picard thinks she should mind her own gawddang business. So, in-universe we now have Picard to thank for what is about to come.

She soon snoops around some Klingon files and discovers the truth about Duras in his role on selling out the Klingons to the Romulans. When Duras comes into her quarters and confronts her about this, she makes the dumb decision by telling him that she knows everything. So off screen he proceeds to beat her to death, but not before both Alexander and Worf come to have one more family moment. Man, for medical emergencies, they really are slow. And poor Beverly. She's the ship's number one physician and even here she gives one tricorder reading and shakes her head.

So Worf, ticked off beyond known decides to go onboard the Klingon vessel and kill Duras. Riker tries to stop Worf from delivering the final blow, but Worf pays no attention and finishes Duras off. Back on the Enterprise, Worf gets lectured at by Picard, has a reprimand put on his record and is sent back to duty. Picard asks now that Duras is dead if he should finally come out with the truth about his family's innocence. Worf says it isn't time yet and the episode ends with a father and son bonding moment.

CONCLUSION:
A good continuation of Worf's story that started in with Season 2, but there's one element that still ticks me off to this day and I think everyone knows what that is. K'Ehleyr's death plays the "Women in refrigerators" trope the absolute "T". Her death is solely meant to motivate the male character into action and it's used even further to give us another father/son bonding moment, because we haven't had enough of that in this one season alone, haven't we?

STINGER:
Picard: mev yap! Sit down. We will begin the ja'chuq.
Gowron: What???
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 04:39 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Episode of the Week: 4x07 "Reunion"

Jeyl wrote: View Post
K'Ehleyr's death plays the "Women in refrigerators" trope the absolute "T". Her death is solely meant to motivate the male character into action and it's used even further to give us another father/son bonding moment, because we haven't had enough of that in this one season alone, haven't we?
Using a one- or two-appearance character to motivate action on the part of a main character! I am shocked and appalled!
Old February 11 2014, 04:57 PM   #3
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Is it possible to have *one* of these without the feminist bullshit?
Old February 11 2014, 08:05 PM   #4
Jeyl
Commodore

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
We can talk about other stuff if you want. I forget to mention that this episode is the first time where the change that occurred in "Yesterday's Enterprise" begins to show itself with the Romulans involvement.
Old February 11 2014, 08:13 PM   #5
PaleMoonlight
Lieutenant Junior Grade

You will die. Slowly. Durasssssssss
Old February 11 2014, 08:19 PM   #6
Jeyl
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Using a one- or two-appearance character to motivate action on the part of a main character! I am shocked and appalled!
There are many methods of motivating a character into action that doesn't have to resort to killing a character. I thought K'Ehleyr was one of the rare highlights of Season 2 and thought she brought a lot of needed charm to what I'd consider a joyless season of TNG. Without her, we're now stuck with the same old "A Klingons Honor is more important to him than his life!" crap that she was openly dismissive of.
Old February 12 2014, 01:42 AM   #7
Mutai Sho-Rin

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Damn close to trolling, dude. If you don't like it, jut keep it to yourself.
Old February 12 2014, 02:15 AM   #8
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

So, in-universe we now have Picard to thank for what is about to come.
Picard didn't make K'Ehleyr persist in investigating the matter; Picard didn't make Duras kill K'Ehleyr; and most importantly...

When Duras comes into her quarters and confronts her about this, she makes the dumb decision by telling him that she knows everything.
...Picard didn't make K'Ehleyr stupid.
Old February 12 2014, 04:06 AM   #9
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

PaleMoonlight wrote: View Post
I love that! O'Reilly's eyes are hilarious.

I also liked Duras' line delivery "It was a bomb!"
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2014, 04:08 AM   #10
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

So no one figured it would be dangerously obvious to have an explosive go off from inside someone's body? Forensics in the 24th century are obviously pretty good at catching that sort of thing.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2014, 07:27 AM   #11
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

jimbotron wrote: View Post
PaleMoonlight wrote: View Post
I love that! O'Reilly's eyes are hilarious.

I also liked Duras' line delivery "It was a bomb!"
Duras was ever transparent in his arrogant stupidity.

And he both beat and *stabbed* K'Ehleyr to death. That's how she got so bloody.
FormerLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2014, 10:26 PM   #12
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
K'Ehleyr's death plays the "Women in refrigerators" trope the absolute "T". Her death is solely meant to motivate the male character into action and it's used even further to give us another father/son bonding moment, because we haven't had enough of that in this one season alone, haven't we?
1-In TNG, most the of guest stars didn't have more than one appearance, male or female.
2-Welcome in 1990! Saving or avenging the beloved, the children ore the best friend was a pretty common motivation for an action hero.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 01:05 PM   #13
Use of Time
Commodore

Does anyone ese feel like Alexander was just treated like this unfinished side project to the writers. He was on the show for a pretty long time and I just don't feel like his character went anywhere. It was like the writing staff would pick him up every once in awhile just to play with him but then drop him where they left him. DS9 made some effort too but I'm not sure if anyone even cared at that point. There were times where he actually had some halfway decent character developement but any pogress seemed to be forgotten down the road.
Old February 13 2014, 02:22 PM   #14
Jeyl
Commodore

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Does anyone ese feel like Alexander was just treated like this unfinished side project to the writers. It was like the writing staff would pick him up every once in awhile just to play with him but then drop him where they left him. DS9 made some effort too but I'm not sure if anyone even cared at that point.
While Alexander certainly had a couple of episodes to his character, his overall development through the course of the TNG era did feel like it didn't amount to much. Which again, is a shame because his character came at the expense of K'Ehleyr, a character who I would much rather have more episodes followed up on than Alexander.

On that point, did anyone really care that much about Alexander? I'm not trying to start a lynching mob on the character, I'm honestly curious. To me he was just an angry brat who kept stealing the spotlight, but I'd like to hear what others think about him.
Old February 13 2014, 03:01 PM   #15
Kevman7987
Captain

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

Alexander was kind of a waste of a character. The only episode with him that I enjoy at all is "A Fist Full of Datas," and that is only because of how ridiculous it is with Worf as a sheriff in the "ancient" west.