Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old February 11 2014, 12:55 AM   #76
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Star Trek Continues: Episode 2 "Lolani"...

Lou was quite articulate, I'm kinda sad that he never played the Gray mobster Hulk... Although he might have in one of the Animated Hulk series where he still played Hulk.

Spartacus in space?

I didn't like the end.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 01:08 AM   #77
Maurice
Vice Admiral

^^^As in
  1. you didn't like how the story problem was resolved
  2. you didn't like the coda
  3. both?
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 01:42 AM   #78
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The self-cleaning.

I didn't like the self-cleaning.

(How long do spoilers last with these things?)

This could have been an ongoing arc that crept up from time to time about emancipation, civil war and reconstruction.

And really?

Unless the Klingons or the Romulans took the Orions side, how long would they really last in an all out war against the Federation?

The Orions still use atomic fission to power their warp drives.

What exactly would the Federation do if they had conquered Orion?

And how would that lead to the humanacentric Orion Syndicate as seen in DS9?

What if Kirk had gone through with rescuing the slavegirl before he couldn't?

Imagine Commodore Gray decking him with one punch... "This is what happens to assholes who do not follow my orders!"

Meanwhile having a drug that inoculated the crew was nice, but what if the only way out was to still have one of those marriage sex melds Trip and T'pol had that everyone on Enterprise in the Eyes of Vulcan legality was massive married big love clot of polygamy?

Remember the Telepath rail road from Babylon 5? It was a year later since the station first dealt with the problem of runaway telepaths and Sheridan is looking for the area leader of the illegal underground on Babylon 5, and it turns out to be Doctor Franklin, another main cast member who had been morally swayed a year before to get up off his as and do the right thing no matter the consequences.

I understand that the writers can't over complicate things, and keeping with the patterns of the original show that they have to tie everything off, but how much difference would it have made if Kirk had challenged Lou Ferrengo to a bowling competition match, while Lolani boosted his ride, so that she could run off and start a grass roots movement to free her gender?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 02:39 AM   #79
Lord Garth, FOI
Commander

Loved every minute of it, felt exactly what it is meant to be, a good season 3-4 episode
Vic is Shatnerkirk, his mannerisms are dead on without cliche, he looks enough like him and his height and build are almost identical.
I love hot chicks so I was not disappointed in that regard either
Louie was fantastically oily and menacing
Habakorn is getting quite good and Chris is his father (scary)
I would be happy with a different McCoy and Larry is a fine actor for sure but I don't feel Leonard McCoy
Drexlers effects spot on
Beautiful poignant story. My favorite episode is Empath and this evoked similar emotions to me
Wish we could get this funded and get it on a network I'm already jonzing for the next episode
(We need an engineering set)
Lord Garth, FOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 02:54 AM   #80
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
This could have been an ongoing arc that crept up from time to time about emancipation, civil war and reconstruction.

And really?

Unless the Klingons or the Romulans took the Orions side, how long would they really last in an all out war against the Federation?

The Orions still use atomic fission to power their warp drives.

What exactly would the Federation do if they had conquered Orion?

And how would that lead to the humanacentric Orion Syndicate as seen in DS9?
I am assuming a lot of this refers to other shows I've not watched.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 03:00 AM   #81
Warped9
Admiral

For those who haven't seen it yet here are some screencaps.

That hangar deck is cool. And the Enterprise is sweet, too.

Last edited by Warped9; February 11 2014 at 03:11 AM.
Warped9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 03:47 AM   #82
Shane Houston
Commander

View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile

JT Perfecthair wrote: View Post
Anyone feeling the other way? I found this to be very boring and the characters far less engaging than recent Phase 2 offerings.
I do. First, the story. The first half was a paint by the numbers TOS story. It was predictable. In fact, the only part not predictable was the ending.

Captain Kirk. How many have we had now? Shatner, Pine, Cawley, Vic and now Brian. No offense to Vic, but his Kirk is wound up WAY to tight. An example would be when he's giving orders during an emergency situation it's more like how the actor himself would respond to danger than Captain Kirk. Yes, Kirk yelled when he had to but it didn't sound like a hissy fit. Although he deserves props for one hell of a flying kick. Is there anyway to lower his voice in tone artificially? His voice is to high.

Scotty has the best line.

Seems to me if you're going to have Uhura from Phase II, you should give her something to do. She should have been the one to take Lolani under her wing. TOS doesn't need counselors. I mean let's be real here, we all know why the McKenna character exists. I enjoy her as an actor but the character doesn't fit. Plus she hogs all the screen time, leaving Uhura and Sulu with nothing to do. And where the hell is Checkov?

Spock was better this time and had something to do. But I'm still Meh as far as the character is concerned.

When Lou first appeared I barely understood him, and during the dinner scene I cringed. But he brought his A game afterwards. When he kicked ass he kicked ass.

Final score for Lolani, is 5 out of ten. A very slow and dull paint by the numbers first half almost brought this train to a grinding halt. I get it, it's a fan film and not to be judged by professional standards. But don't call it Star Trek Continues and pretend it's a continuation of TOS and have Kirk already begin to lose his eyesight. And if you want to do TNG fine, do TNG. But if it wasn't the first episode with a holodeck, this time we had more of Counselor Troi-I mean counselor McKenna. Choose, be TOS or TNG. But just choose already.

I liked the moral story at the end and was taken back by how it ended. But we could have done well with less Kirk angst over Lolani at the end. Picard would have let Lolani go, but not Kirk. The ending scenes seem like they come out of a TNG episode rather than a TOS piece.
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 03:53 AM   #83
feek61
Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post

Of note is that Gary Kerr did the CAD drawings for the Hangar Deck and did an fantastic job. It looks great!
Old February 11 2014, 04:16 AM   #84
Warped9
Admiral

feek61 wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post

Of note is that Gary Kerr did the CAD drawings for the Hangar Deck and did an fantastic job. It looks great!
Yep. I learned of that last week.
Old February 11 2014, 06:34 AM   #85
I am not Spock
Commodore

I just watched it. Loved it. Perfect tribute to TOS.

This was my first experience of Star Trek Continues. I'd love to see more. I've been really impressed by what I've seen of the fan films so far. I've been loving Phase 2 as well.

Vic was great as Kirk, and Lolani was beautiful. I wouldn't even need the Orion pheromones to be attracted to her.
Old February 11 2014, 11:35 AM   #86
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Hot damn. Color me impressed! This was a cracking episode. Solid dialogue, top notch lighting and direction, good actors, great effects that don't overwhelm, and a really good morality tale.

The cast did a terrific job. I loved the special guest star and was excited to see who it was. The other actors did a wonderful job, and were very believable. Still, if I have to hand it to anyone, I have to say that Vic Mignogna held it all together. His portrayal of Kirk is the best I've seen in any fan production. He really sold me on it.

Larry did a good job as Bones. Chris Doohan, well what can I say? I accidentally called him Jimmy while watching the episode, and realized what I had done. Again, everyone did a terrific job, and I need to add that I love the character of Dr. McKennah. The dinner scene, where Scotty refers to Zaminhon as a brutal monster, was excellent all the way through.

I wasn't bored for a moment, and found myself making silent comparisons to the original series, and finding so much that matched up and rang true to the style and tone of classic Trek. I kept forgetting that this wasn't a classic episode, that it had been made in the 21st century. That takes skill!

All in all, an excellent job! My congratulations, and thanks, to everyone who worked on the show, because you did such a great job, and I got to see it for free.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 11:35 AM   #87
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile

Very evocative of Season 3 TOS. Really enjoyed this. Well done to everyone on the team who put it together. Bonus points for a gold-medal worthy execution of Kirk's two footed kick to the chest. Outstanding
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 03:36 PM   #88
Warped9
Admiral

I never expected that Star Trek would ever again be in a form that would affect me again like TOS. The best I hoped for was to see space adventure, other SF or even a new Trek done in a new form that would click in such a way to grab me in some semblance of how I felt about TOS. Babylon 5, The X-Files and one or two other series as well as some of TNG were pretty cool and could even make me grin with some enthusiasm, but it still wasn't quite the same magical feeling as TOS.

One also has to be realistic and accept that recapturing the chemistry of the original cast with new performers would be highly unlikely.

In all candour the STC cast does not have that chemistry. There is no questioning their enthusiasm and dedication. But then I haven't seen any other cast in a fan production match STC's level of execution either. The STC cast do a decent job of reprising the TOS characters without being slaves to the original cast. It's a fine balance.

But it's the rest of the STC production that raises the whole above the average. Despite the challenges they've managed to evoke the feeling of the original Star Trek unlike anyone else be it fan or professional production. I find myself moved in a very unexpected way, in a way I haven't known for a very long time.

And I am thankful of that. No, it ain't perfect (neither was TOS), but it's pretty damned cool nonetheless.
Old February 11 2014, 04:05 PM   #89
geneo
Lieutenant

Yep, no chemistry and Vic needs a few more acting lessons as Kirk or something, I'm not sold yet.
geneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 04:28 PM   #90
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
I forgot to mention that the title was pretty unimaginative. Yes, there was "Gem" on Star Trek, but that one word/name title is the exception rather than the rule.
Well, there was the episode "Miri," and the aborted episode "Joanna." But indeed, those were exceptions to the general episode title trend. I think the "single name" episode titles really picked up steam with TNG (e.g. "Sarek").
At the same time, a lot of fan films take on some of the most pretentious episode titles in Trek history. Like "Whose Birth These Triumphs Are" or even "For Want of a Nail." Good god. The contents never justify such high minded titles.

Give me me "Arena", "Catspaw" or "Lolani" and "The Child" any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Simple and they get the episode's point across a lot more clearly. Yeah, I know: "For the World is Hollow and I have Touched the Sky." But you know something, it perfectly states the point of the episode.

Oy. Sometimes I think the titles are created first ("Hey, original Trek did 'Dagger of the Mind.' Shakespeare!").