Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 8 2014, 03:15 AM   #1
Dream
Admiral

The X Factor canceled by FOX

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...o-uk-show.html

I'm surprised it took so long. I imagine the show was losing lots of money for FOX. This is a huge victory for those who wanted more scripted shows.
Old February 8 2014, 03:38 AM   #2
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: The X Factor canceled by FOX

Good, now they can do a show based on the comic X-Factor.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 03:58 AM   #3
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Who says we will get more scripted shows?

I'm a little surprised by this because Fox didn't get Thursday Football, I figured they would use it for filler for one more year before ditching it.
Old February 8 2014, 07:16 AM   #4
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

I think all it proves is Simon needs Idol a lot more than Idol needs Simon, something most people figured out a long time ago.
Old February 8 2014, 08:37 PM   #5
Aldo
Admiral

I wonder if that means we'll see Simon return to American Idol? I don't watch the show, so it wouldn't mean much to me either way, but it would seem likely he'd go back to it.
Old February 8 2014, 09:07 PM   #6
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
I wonder if that means we'll see Simon return to American Idol? I don't watch the show, so it wouldn't mean much to me either way, but it would seem likely he'd go back to it.
The article says he going back to Britain and X-Factor UK.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 10:07 PM   #7
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Any way you slice it, this stupid exploitative crap show's off of the air; it's on my personal shit list for the Ceri Rees incident, in which a senior citizen was made to look like a fool while auditioning:

From the moment Ceri Rees stepped out onto The X Factor stage she was no more than cannon fodder.

Lost, confused and beguiled into believing she was a woman of rare vocal talent, the 54-year-old can have had no idea that she was about to be held up as an object of public ridicule.

The result? For seven excruciating minutes on Sunday night — a sixth of the programme’s entire running time — Mrs Rees was humiliated in front of 11 million viewers.

The fact that her disastrous appearance was saved for the climax of the show — conventionally the slot occupied by an episode’s stand-out performance — said it all: as far as X Factor top brass were concerned, this was TV gold.
How they must be regretting that decision now. Far from being a success for the show’s reputation, Mrs Rees’s appearance has prompted widespread revulsion at how a vulnerable and misguided soul like her could have been so cruelly exploited.

Yesterday, as a devastated Mrs Rees left her one-bedroom council flat in Bridgend and went into hiding, a distinctly unedifying story began to emerge.

For this is the fourth time she has appeared on screen in auditions for X Factor, having been rejected by judges in 2005, 2006 and 2008. (Not that her obvious inability to sing prevented her painful performances from being broadcast on each occasion.)

On Sunday night’s show, she had a gleaming set of dentures and a glossy new hairstyle, but there was no disguising her frailty — exacerbated by the loss of her husband, Clive, to a sudden brain hemorrhage four years ago.

Worse still, a close friend said far from reapplying for X Factor, Mrs Rees was ‘hounded’ by producers urging her to return to the show.
The Humiliation of Ceri Rees By The Cowardly And Exploitative X-Factor TV Show

Neil DeGrasse Tyson's Cosmos can't come soon enough; I hope that it takes over the time slot of this shitty show.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 10:10 PM   #8
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Cosmos is going to be on Sunday nights in the USA, starting in March, when The X Factor USA would have been on next fall on Wednesday and Thursday.
Old February 8 2014, 10:26 PM   #9
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
Any way you slice it, this stupid exploitative crap show's off of the air; it's on my personal shit list for the Ceri Rees incident, in which a senior citizen was made to look like a fool while auditioning:

From the moment Ceri Rees stepped out onto The X Factor stage she was no more than cannon fodder.

Lost, confused and beguiled into believing she was a woman of rare vocal talent, the 54-year-old can have had no idea that she was about to be held up as an object of public ridicule.

The result? For seven excruciating minutes on Sunday night — a sixth of the programme’s entire running time — Mrs Rees was humiliated in front of 11 million viewers.

The fact that her disastrous appearance was saved for the climax of the show — conventionally the slot occupied by an episode’s stand-out performance — said it all: as far as X Factor top brass were concerned, this was TV gold.
How they must be regretting that decision now. Far from being a success for the show’s reputation, Mrs Rees’s appearance has prompted widespread revulsion at how a vulnerable and misguided soul like her could have been so cruelly exploited.

Yesterday, as a devastated Mrs Rees left her one-bedroom council flat in Bridgend and went into hiding, a distinctly unedifying story began to emerge.

For this is the fourth time she has appeared on screen in auditions for X Factor, having been rejected by judges in 2005, 2006 and 2008. (Not that her obvious inability to sing prevented her painful performances from being broadcast on each occasion.)

On Sunday night’s show, she had a gleaming set of dentures and a glossy new hairstyle, but there was no disguising her frailty — exacerbated by the loss of her husband, Clive, to a sudden brain hemorrhage four years ago.

Worse still, a close friend said far from reapplying for X Factor, Mrs Rees was ‘hounded’ by producers urging her to return to the show.
The Humiliation of Ceri Rees By The Cowardly And Exploitative X-Factor TV Show

Neil DeGrasse Tyson's Cosmos can't come soon enough; I hope that it takes over the time slot of this shitty show.
54 is a senior citizen? I turned 55 last month! Also that was on the UK version, not the US one,which is the one that was canceled. Though I think the focus these shows have on the bad performers ridiculous and a waste of time.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 10:54 PM   #10
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Cosmos is going to be on Sunday nights in the USA, starting in March, when The X Factor USA would have been on next fall on Wednesday and Thursday.
Hey, I said that I hope it takes over the time slot, not that it would or will do so.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
54 is a senior citizen? I turned 55 last month! Also that was on the UK version, not the US one,which is the one that was canceled. Though I think the focus these shows have on the bad performers ridiculous and a waste of time.
Well, close enough-hell, I feel like a senior citizen, and I'm in my mid-40's.

And the reason I placed it is to show how crappy it is, and how it fosters these kind of incidents. That's why I'm glad it's being canceled even though the incident never happened here.
Old February 9 2014, 02:12 AM   #11
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

American Idol and William Hung..
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 04:46 PM   #12
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

^Well, that too, but this incident was worse than that by the greatest of magnitudes; Hung at least knew what he was getting into, Mrs. Rees really didn't, and has been completely exploited by the producers of the UK version of this show.
Old February 10 2014, 04:54 AM   #13
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Good, now they can do a show based on the comic X-Factor.
I was going to say the same thing (well, movie, but still the same point).

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote