Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 9 2014, 05:46 PM   #61
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Re: Fox Developing "Gotham" Young Jim Gordon Series

Christopher wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I wonder how Barbara Gordon will figure into this.
Do you mean the Barbara who was Jim's first wife in Year One? Since I doubt the future Batgirl would be much more than a toddler at this point.
Why can't she be the same age as Bruce?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 05:47 PM   #62
Christopher
Writer

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Because then she'd be Batwoman?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 05:49 PM   #63
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Because then she'd be Batwoman?
You yourself said that they can reinvent at Will, if this is a series that features a child Bruce Wayne (unless they have changed that aspect), why worry about a point we are never going to get to?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 06:03 PM   #64
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The Barbara Gordon thing was just a thought. It'd be a shame to have a Jim Gordon series and not have "Batgirl" there in some capacity. I don't know how much they can compress the age differences or what plans they have for the show but Smallville managed to include a lot of elements from the Superman mythos despite being about Clark's younger years.
If Gordon is married and has kids one of them could be Barbara as a toddler. It wouldn't lead to her becoming Batgirl on screen. It would just be a nod to fans.
Old February 9 2014, 06:04 PM   #65
RoJoHen
Awesome

If Batman is a character in this at all, we could maybe see a toddler Barbara donning a blanket cape and playing Batgirl in the house. That could be fun.
Old February 9 2014, 06:04 PM   #66
Christopher
Writer

I'm just saying that if you make her a peer of Bruce, then it's kind of sexist to call her a "girl" while he's a "man." That sort of thing was acceptable in 1967, but it would be in bad taste today, I think. Sure, Batgirl's an adult in the comics, but it's more acceptable if she started using the name when she was a college student and then just stuck with it for the sake of recognition.

So I'm not talking about whether it can be changed, but whether that particular change is a good idea. If a character is called Batgirl, it stands to reason that she belongs to a younger generation than Batman.

And from what I'm hearing, I really doubt they'll keep Bruce as a child. In the original proposal where the focus was on Gordon and the GCPD, with Bruce's story simmering in the background, I could buy that. But these days the indications are that it'll be as much a coming-of-age story for Bruce as a story about Gordon, and that it'll culminate with Bruce becoming Batman if the show runs to completion. So there's no way they aren't going to age him up. When Smallville started, Clark was nominally 15 and was played by a 24-year-old. Most likely they'll go a similar route with Bruce.

Old February 9 2014, 06:06 PM   #67
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
If Batman is a character in this at all, we could maybe see a toddler Barbara donning a blanket cape and playing Batgirl in the house. That could be fun.
The plan is for Bruce Wayne to be a supporting character, starting out at about the age of 12. He would only become Batman right at the end of the series if it runs the distance.
Old February 9 2014, 06:25 PM   #68
RoJoHen
Awesome

Okay. That doesn't rule out that scene. It just pushes it back to the end of the show.
Old February 9 2014, 06:29 PM   #69
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

^ He still could. Both would be in their pre-Batman and pre-Batgirl roles respectively.

The Barbara Gordon thing was just a thought. It'd be a shame to have a Jim Gordon series and not have "Batgirl" there in some capacity. I don't know how much they can compress the age differences or what plans they have for the show but Smallville managed to include a lot of elements from the Superman mythos despite being about Clark's younger years.
I thought the Dark Knight movies did a good job without Batgirl (as did the pre-Batman and Robin movies ). At the end of the day, Commissioner Gordon is far more important than Barbara Gordon. Hell, Batgirl is far less important than Robin and I doubt we'd get him.
Old February 9 2014, 06:33 PM   #70
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Batgirl won't be in the series, but the series will naturally feature far more of Gordon's home life than any of the movies. If he's married with children then one of them may as well be Barbara.
Old February 9 2014, 06:38 PM   #71
Christopher
Writer

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
The plan is for Bruce Wayne to be a supporting character, starting out at about the age of 12. He would only become Batman right at the end of the series if it runs the distance.
Again, I doubt any series expects to run for a decade or more, so if the plan is for him to become Batman at the end, I think they'll make him older than that. Maybe the pilot will begin with him at 12 and then jump forward a few years.

Plus there are child labor laws to consider. If they want Bruce to be one of the central characters in the show, if they want him to have enough screen time to fill such a role, then they will have to cast someone at least 18 years old, even if they pass him off as younger. We've been sufficiently conditioned by decades of TV and movies to accept twentysomething actors as 15- or 16-year-olds, but not 12-year-olds.

Old February 9 2014, 06:44 PM   #72
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Kevin Reilly said off the cuff that Bruce would start out at about the age of 12. The casting call listed a couple of months ago actually put the age a little lower at the age of 10, and it was a casting call for a series regular. Of course there could be a change close to production, but it seems that the plan is for Bruce to be a supporting character and his development will be an ongoing substory with Gordon as the primary focus.
Old February 9 2014, 07:09 PM   #73
Alidar Jarok

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Batgirl won't be in the series, but the series will naturally feature far more of Gordon's home life than any of the movies. If he's married with children then one of them may as well be Barbara.
If he's married with children, yes. And I suspect he'll be married eventually, but I'm not sure it's a dramatic necessity for his wife to give birth to a daughter during the series's run. Either way, my comments are more directed at Batgirl than some child named Barbara Gordon.
Old February 9 2014, 07:13 PM   #74
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

None of the younger Batman Family superheroes will be in the series, at least not in their superhero guises. The premise doesn't allow for it.
Old February 9 2014, 07:16 PM   #75
Alidar Jarok

That was precisely my point. I was replying mostly to Agent Richard who seemed to be leaning in the other direction.