RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,674
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 566
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 9 2014, 12:46 AM   #46
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: Fox Developing "Gotham" Young Jim Gordon Series

Tweet from McKenzie:

All I can promise is I will do my best not to screw this up. Can't wait to get to work.
Old February 9 2014, 12:51 AM   #47
Christopher
Writer

So Batman is playing Gordon? I don't think that's happened before. Although we have had incarnations of Jim Gordon played by Lex Luthor (Lyle Talbot, Batman and Robin 1949 and Atom Man vs. Superman 1950), Perry White (Ted Knight, '60s Filmation cartoons -- also the Flash for Super Friends), Superboy (Bob Hastings, '60s Filmation and B:TAS), Superman (Danny Dark, Challenge of the SuperFriends), the Spectre (Gary Cole, Under the Red Hood and DC Showcase), and Kanjar Ro (Kurtwood Smith, Green Lantern: First Flight and Beware the Batman -- also Agent Bennet in Batman Beyond/The Zeta Project).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 12:59 AM   #48
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

McKenzie made a really good rookie cop in Southland and was very good in Year One. My initial scepticism about this project is fading.

Now, if Ben can be Batman in YO and then Gordon in this, I think Bryan Cranston can be Gordon in YO and in the next live-action Batman film.
Old February 9 2014, 01:16 AM   #49
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

I am the hardest of hardcore Bat-fans and I cannot express how much I don't care about this series.

At least Smallville was an honest-to-goodness genre show. This is a cop show pretending to be part of the Batman mythos. It won't deliver enough to satisfy fanboys like me, and the mainstream audience (who won't notice or care if they name-drop Edward Nygma or Harleen Quinzell) will see it for what it really is: A dime-a-dozen, cookie-cutter cop show.

A few weeks ago, on Kevin Smith's "Fatman On Batman" podcast, Smith and Paul Dini laid out an idea for a Batman prequel series that would be AWESOME. Too bad it'll never happen.
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 01:42 AM   #50
JD
Admiral

He seems like a good actor, so I'm not to worried.
Old February 9 2014, 05:10 AM   #51
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Wouldn't many of Batman's villains be about the same age he is? Do we really need to see a 10 year old Eddie Nigma?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 05:30 AM   #52
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

It looks like this take on Batman will have many of his villains be at least 10-15 years older than he is with the usual sequence of Batman emerging and then the villains following flipped around.
Old February 9 2014, 05:39 AM   #53
TayLaLaLa
Commodore

Have they cast Joe Chill?
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 04:14 PM   #54
Christopher
Writer

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Wouldn't many of Batman's villains be about the same age he is?
Since it is, of course, an alternate reality from the comics, they are free to reinvent the characters however they wish. Henri Ducard and Ra's al Ghul were two separate people in the comics, but that didn't stop Nolan from combining them.

And really, I don't see any reason why someone like Riddler or Penguin or the Mad Hatter couldn't be 10-20 years older than Batman.

Old February 9 2014, 04:54 PM   #55
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I wonder how Barbara Gordon will figure into this.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 05:04 PM   #56
Christopher
Writer

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Do you mean the Barbara who was Jim's first wife in Year One? Since I doubt the future Batgirl would be much more than a toddler at this point.

Old February 9 2014, 05:09 PM   #57
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Ben McKenzie was my hope for Matt Murdock, so I'm slightly disappointed in this. I think he'll do a fine job, I'm just not sold on the series as a whole.
Old February 9 2014, 05:14 PM   #58
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Do you mean the Barbara who was Jim's first wife in Year One? Since I doubt the future Batgirl would be much more than a toddler at this point.
I was thinking of Batgirl Barbara. She's a good character but they couldn't use her because she'd either be too young or not born yet. I suppose they could make her more of a precocious young girl like Penny from Inspector Gadget if they wanted to though.

They could do something similar with Dick Grayson. I was wondering about him too.
Old February 9 2014, 05:21 PM   #59
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I would think Batman has to predate Batgirl
Old February 9 2014, 05:43 PM   #60
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ He still could. Both would be in their pre-Batman and pre-Batgirl roles respectively.

The Barbara Gordon thing was just a thought. It'd be a shame to have a Jim Gordon series and not have "Batgirl" there in some capacity. I don't know how much they can compress the age differences or what plans they have for the show but Smallville managed to include a lot of elements from the Superman mythos despite being about Clark's younger years.