Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old February 9 2014, 01:43 PM   #136
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Re: "Planet of the Titans" Revisited

That Phase II Enterprise is awesome.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 04:07 PM   #137
Christopher
Writer

Khan 2.0 wrote: View Post
i imagine the opening 10-15 mins of Kirk being lost wouldve been similar in look and tone to TOS (end of the 5 year mission) and when they all come back 3 years later everything wouldve looked more Phase 2/TMP
Probably not much more so than the Kelvin scenes in ST '09 looked similar to TOS. If they had the budget for a feature film, they wouldn't have felt much obligation to conform to the look of a TV series where they had to make do with what they could. They might have opted for a similar aesthetic, but they certainly would've added greater detail and sophistication. The idea being that it had really looked like that all along but the budget hadn't been there to show it clearly before.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 05:34 PM   #138
Khan 2.0
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
i imagine the opening 10-15 mins of Kirk being lost wouldve been similar in look and tone to TOS (end of the 5 year mission) and when they all come back 3 years later everything wouldve looked more Phase 2/TMP
Probably not much more so than the Kelvin scenes in ST '09 looked similar to TOS. If they had the budget for a feature film, they wouldn't have felt much obligation to conform to the look of a TV series where they had to make do with what they could. They might have opted for a similar aesthetic, but they certainly would've added greater detail and sophistication. The idea being that it had really looked like that all along but the budget hadn't been there to show it clearly before.
yes like the klingons in TMP (Im sure the general opinion from everyone was they were supposed to have looked that way all along.... until Enterprise)

i imagine theyd have retained the colour coded uniforms but jazzed them up abit (like JJ trek) and the bridge etc wouldve been similar to TOS but sleeker more realistic (any explanation couldve been the Ent had a refit or two post Turnaround Intruder) enough to make fans go 'oh THATs what it was supposed to look like!' ...but not too different from TOS as itd all need to look noticably different Phase2/TMP for when it got refitted 3 years later..

damn i really wish wed got POTT in 76...maybe itd have done more BO than TMP and even swiped some of SWs..leading to a Trek II in 78 or 79 (God Thing? JFK?) and Trek III in 80 or 81 (Wrath of Khan)...so maybe theyd have been 7 original crew movies
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 05:46 PM   #139
Christopher
Writer

Christopher wrote: View Post
...The idea being that it had really looked like that all along but the budget hadn't been there to show it clearly before.
yes like the klingons in TMP (Im sure the general opinion from everyone was they were supposed to have looked that way all along.... until Enterprise)
Or rather, until DS9: "Trials and Tribble-ations" showed the 24th-century characters in the same room with TOS-style Klingons and asking Worf about the change. ENT just picked up on that in-joke and built a story out of it.

And it wasn't everyone's opinion before then, not by a long shot. It was what Roddenberry suggested was the case about the TMP Klingons, and the shows were agnostic on the issue until the reuse of TOS footage in "Trials" forced them to acknowledge it. But in fandom and tie-ins, there were a ton of theories about the different types of Klingons. John M. Ford's novel The Final Reflection posited that Klingons often created genetic fusions with other species, and that TOS Klingons were actually Klingon-human fusions. DC's graphic novel Debt of Honor acknowledged the existence of two races of Klingon without explaining why they were different. Michael Jan Friedman's My Brother's Keeper novel trilogy showed Klingons in the early 2260s genetically engineering a new, fiercer variant of themselves which was implicitly the TMP-onward style of Klingon (though I don't think Paramount allowed him to make it explicit). A Howard Weinstein storyline in DC's ST comics had the crew going back in time into Klingon history, and showed smooth and ridged Klingons coexisting even centuries in the past.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 08:41 PM   #140
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Khaless in Savage Curtain looked very different, albeit he was plucked from Enterprise crew mental images rather than the real thing.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 10:29 PM   #141
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

I kind of wish that Trial's and Tribble-ations hadn't had the scene where they ask Worf about the forehead ridges. It would have been better if they had continued with the "they looked that way all along" idea.

It would have been even better if Michael Dorn would have been made up to look like one of the TOS Klingons for scenes set aboard K-7. Have nobody even notice that Worf's forehead keeps changing shape in between scenes either.
Old February 10 2014, 12:34 AM   #142
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
The Planet of the Titans Enterprise designs aren't the same ship as Phase II's.

i kind if wish POTT had been the first movie in 1975 or 76 beating SW to cinemas.

sounds it wouldve been like Star Treks Prometheus...with a more TOS flavour than TMP (ST Phase 2: The Movie) i imagine the opening 10-15 mins of Kirk being lost wouldve been similar in look and tone to TOS (end of the 5 year mission) and when they all come back 3 years later everything wouldve looked more Phase 2/TMP
I doubt the show would have looked anything like Phase II/TMP in any regard, since they had entirely different production designers, and especially given Ken Adam's concept sketches for Titans, which are very unlike any other Trek.
—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice; February 10 2014 at 12:45 AM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 02:16 AM   #143
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post
The Planet of the Titans Enterprise designs aren't the same ship as Phase II's.
Quite true. The Phase II design was just an earlier version of the TMP refit.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 02:23 AM   #144
Khan 2.0
Commander

there was an fake plot synopsis for Prometheus that was abit similar to POTT...i see if i can find it..
Old February 10 2014, 02:33 PM   #145
Khan 2.0
Commander

here it is...sort of similar anyway:
http://m.tgdaily.com/entertainment/5...y-hits-the-net
Old June 24 2014, 08:57 AM   #146
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Well, I was digging through some articles on a Battlestar Galactica site and found the following article with some McQuarrie work for The Planet of the Titans that I'd not seen before (link).

As always, take the captions with a grain of salt, but the one for the machine (seen in the big Art of Ralph McQuarrie book) lines up with what Phil Kaufman said about being influenced by Olaf Stapleton, as McQuarrie says the rendering is based on scene in Stapleton's The Star Maker.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old June 24 2014, 01:18 PM   #147
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Very interesting link, thanks! "Klingon Mothership"?!? (well, the Federation "mothership" looks like a predecessor to Earth Spacedock). And it's obvious that "Buck Rogers" starfighter started as a (rejected) design for the colonial BSG Viper.

As some of you will know the animation sequence in the "Star Wars Holiday Special" featured a rebel base located within an asteroid in the beginning. Was that "inspired" by the McQuarrie artwork for "Planet of the Titans"?

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2014, 03:08 PM   #148
pfontaine2
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Maurice. Thanks for pointing out that article in MediaScene on Ralph McQuarrie. Based on the link alone, I found the issue on ebay and just ordered it. It's fascinating to see sketches that haven't surfaced anywhere else, even in that huge (and obscenely expensive) McQuarrie retrospective book that was published about five years ago. There's a new edition of the book on Kickstarter that's much less expensive and features lots of new material, though it excludes his Star Wars art.
pfontaine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2014, 09:40 PM   #149
Maurice
Vice Admiral

pfontaine2 wrote: View Post
Hey Maurice. Thanks for pointing out that article in MediaScene on Ralph McQuarrie. Based on the link alone, I found the issue on ebay and just ordered it. It's fascinating to see sketches that haven't surfaced anywhere else, even in that huge (and obscenely expensive) McQuarrie retrospective book that was published about five years ago. There's a new edition of the book on Kickstarter that's much less expensive and features lots of new material, though it excludes his Star Wars art.
Interesting. I have the obscenely expensive copy, and would like to see the version with more material on non-Star Wars projects.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old June 27 2014, 02:42 AM   #150
pfontaine2
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here's the link:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

Truth be told, it looks like a great deal of stuff is reprinted from the earlier book but a third of it is new material. It also looks like it's going to be a physically smaller book. The earlier book was nearly impossible to read unless you had an honest to goodness coffee table to put it on. It certainly wasn't a book that sat easily on your lap...I signed up for mine nonetheless and hope they get funded.
pfontaine2 is offline   Reply With Quote