Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old February 6 2014, 02:48 AM   #91
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Re: Rain Robinson (Sarah Silverman)

I'm not so sure about Memory Alpha's take on this. It's not unusual in STAR TREK to just use Time Travel to reset a situation and pretend like it never happened, so that Life goes on. THE VOYAGE HOME, of course, being a movie, is allowed to contradict this, entirely and does so with a cheesey grin on everybody's face, at the end. Whales do not belong in 23rd Century oceans and Gillian Taylor sure as hell has no business being in any other century but the 20th! Yet ... there it is.

And, in "Future's End," the "Gillian" is not, unfortunately Rain Robinson, as it should well have done. No. It is actually the Doctor. He becomes a new character in this episode, forever changed, in that he is now, as he so eloquently put it, "Footloose & Fancy Free." But as for Rain Robinson and all the rest on 20th Century Earth, who knows? For all VOYAGER wonders, who cares what they know, or think they know? We got what "we" wanted! But it would've been sweet, had Tom and Rain had made sweet love in her little blue van.

Then, at the end of the episode, after Tom's beamed up and everything, Rain's gassing her van up at a gas station, talking into a taperecorder and touching her belly ... "Will I tell Tom's child who his father was? He deserves that. Though we only knew eachother 24 hours ... we loved a lifetime's worth!"
Old February 9 2014, 02:07 AM   #92
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I once spent an hour on the phone debating with my Trek editor on how much of "Future's End" had actually happened and how much had been "erased" from the timeline. We never did resolve the matter.

(Which is why I largely stayed away from "Future's End" in my Eugenics Wars novels.)
Old February 9 2014, 02:47 AM   #93
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
But it would've been sweet, had Tom and Rain had made sweet love in her little blue van.
I can see it now... Voyager finally makes it home to Earth, and Janeway is trying to get various crewmembers' legal troubles sorted out. Tom is worried about his official release from the prison in Auckland when his lawyer says, "Lieutenant, you've got another problem: A suit has been filed on behalf of Rain Robinson and family, claiming you owe 400 years' worth of child support (including the interest)!"

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I once spent an hour on the phone debating with my Trek editor on how much of "Future's End" had actually happened and how much had been "erased" from the timeline. We never did resolve the matter.

(Which is why I largely stayed away from "Future's End" in my Eugenics Wars novels.)
It did seem a little disconnected when Rain suddenly showed up on Roberta's doorstep. I don't remember if you explained any kind of connection, or just left the reader to reason out that Roberta would have heard about the odd happenings during the events of "Future's End" and met Rain while investigating it.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 03:02 AM   #94
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

(Yes I am aware who you are, but by this point you should be aware about how obnoxious I am.)

Braxton from the beginning (Braxton A), and Braxton from the end (Braxton B) are from completely (mildly) different timelines.

BRAXTON [on viewscreen]: Do you know me?
CHAKOTAY: Yes, unfortunately.
JANEWAY: You tried to destroy our ship in the twenty-fourth century and the next time we saw you, you were an old man, homeless, in 1996.
BRAXTON [on viewscreen]: I never experienced that timeline.
PARIS: Then what are you doing here?
BRAXTON [on viewscreen]: In my century we can scan time, much as you use sensors to scan space. The Temporal Integrity Commission detected your vessel over twentieth century Earth. I was sent to correct that anomaly. Prepare to follow me back into the rift. I'm returning you to your own time, to your previous co-ordinates in the Delta Quadrant.
More importantly, the Braxton from the beginning did not believe in alternate timelines or that choices create branches in the time stream, even though he tried to change the future by destroying Voyager even though it was already predestined to destroy the Earth. His math was bad, and he was probably shellshocked, which is why he was charging at a windmill.

A leads to b leads to c leads to A.

Inviolable.

Braxton A was from a timeline Voyager was destroyed in Season 3.

Braxton B was from a time line where Voyager had a rich and important future history probably extending to the original timeline in Endgame which was a 21 year epic journey home with Dead Seven and crazy Tuvok.

All of Futures End happened in both Braxton A and Braxton B's recorded history up to the point that Voyager rammed the Aeon and crashed into 29th century Earth, or fired a torpedo and did not crash into 29th century earth.

Both Braxtons are from different futures who can coexist and do coexist, even though one of their futures is now (probably?) unreachable, which is why 3 years later in Relativity that we found out that the two Braxton's had been integrated into a single gestalt entity.

Or...

It's the Doctor's mobile emitter.

If the Doctor didn't have the mobile emitter from Starling, then he couldn't have helped Janeway launch that torpedo (it's possible he helped at the last second, it's also possible that he was only there to help get her out, the script I'm reading isn't %100 clear.) and Chakotay would have had to ram the Aeon and Voyager would have collided with 29th century Earth.

(Without the Doctor, Chkotay and Torres would never have been rescued from the Survivalist enclosure? That means that Janeway would have been in the captains Chair posturing against that hunk Starling, while random #### up X failed to launch the Torpedo before Janeway's death urge kicked in.)

This would mean that one timeline had 29th century mobile emitter technology 500 years earlier than the other, which would have been a staggering leap forward, and why Christopher in his time agent books suggests that only timelines with that cheat sheet can fight back the Borg.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 12:41 PM   #95
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Indeed ... "Future's End" has layer upon layer of connotations, implications and possibilities on offer. And, dare I say it, this is fast becoming my favourite VOYAGER thread!

Old February 18 2014, 11:52 PM   #96
2takesfrakes
Commodore

As these photographers soon discovered - First Hand - Sarah Silverman is too beautiful to ignore. And believe me, I've tried. Oh, how I've tried! But she's been pushing her newest site quite hard, of late, so it's only fair that I should let you know. It's called Jash and it features videos and tour dates for Silverman, as well as the rest of her Jash cohorts. Might you be interested ... want the details? Well, then ... I say, Welcome to the Show:

http://jash.com/luminaries/sarah-silverman/