Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

View Poll Results: Rate "The Enemy Within"
1 1 2.70%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 4 10.81%
6 11 29.73%
7 4 10.81%
8 6 16.22%
9 6 16.22%
10 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 9 2014, 04:06 AM   #31
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

Re: Episode of the Week : The Enemy Within

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
The episode was so politically incorrect.
Naturally, since political correctness didn't exist in 1966.

Yes and I even liked the unicorn poodle dog.
It was better executed than "the Hand Plant".
Old February 9 2014, 04:13 AM   #32
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

Sir Rhosis wrote: View Post
In answer to Lance's question, evil twins have been with us for a long long time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_twin

Also, after I wrote the Unseen article a number of years ago, a Youtube user recut the act to conform to the script. Results here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-olilLSyyYE

Sir Rhosis
That actually points out a pet peeve of mine: how so many people seem to credit Star Trek with firsts which are, in fact, old tried and true conventions.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 04:24 AM   #33
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

We have a pretty good record here of setting the... record (Austin Powers moment, there) straight regarding Trek firsts, though. I used to see the old "Kirk used 'hell' first in City as a curse word" a lot, which was debunked, as well as many others.

Sir Rhosis
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 04:34 AM   #34
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

They even used animals for experiments.
That's not even partially true, since the space dog was split accidentally to begin with. Its halves would have died, just like Kirk's were going to, if they hadn't tried rejoining it. The procedure would have been the same, even if it had been done after Kirk was rejoined, and the animal likely still would have died.

The charge of using animals for experiments would stick if they'd taken an initially healthy animal and split it on purpose, just to see if they could rejoin it.
Old February 9 2014, 05:05 AM   #35
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain

View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
That's not even partially true, since the space dog was split accidentally to begin with. Its halves would have died, just like Kirk's were going to, if they hadn't tried rejoining it. The procedure would have been the same, even if it had been done after Kirk was rejoined, and the animal likely still would have died.

The charge of using animals for experiments would stick if they'd taken an initially healthy animal and split it on purpose, just to see if they could rejoin it.
So why was the dog there?
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 05:23 AM   #36
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Sulu's holding the dog in the very first scene on the planet surface. Kirk says:

KIRK: That should make a good specimen.
Later on:

[Transporter room]

KIRK: What is it, Scotty?
SCOTT: Transporter breakdown. Continue circuit testing. We beamed up this animal and, well, look for yourself. It's in this specimen case. (opens lid to reveal angry pink animal)
KIRK: Yes?
SCOTT: A few seconds after they sent this one up through the transporter, that duplicate appeared. Except it's not a duplicate, it's an opposite. Two of the same animal, but different. One gentle, this. One mean and fierce, that. Some kind of savage, ferocious opposite. Captain, we don't dare send Mister Sulu and the landing party up. If this should happen to a man.
KIRK: Oh, my.
I think we can accuse them of taking animals out of their natural habitats for study back at base that they may not ever have intended to return. If there's a crime here relating to mistreating animals, it was kidnapping.
Old February 9 2014, 05:42 AM   #37
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain

View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile

Sulu's holding the dog in the very first scene on the planet surface. Kirk says:

KIRK: That should make a good specimen.
Later on:

[Transporter room]

KIRK: What is it, Scotty?
SCOTT: Transporter breakdown. Continue circuit testing. We beamed up this animal and, well, look for yourself. It's in this specimen case. (opens lid to reveal angry pink animal)
KIRK: Yes?
SCOTT: A few seconds after they sent this one up through the transporter, that duplicate appeared. Except it's not a duplicate, it's an opposite. Two of the same animal, but different. One gentle, this. One mean and fierce, that. Some kind of savage, ferocious opposite. Captain, we don't dare send Mister Sulu and the landing party up. If this should happen to a man.
KIRK: Oh, my.
I think we can accuse them of taking animals out of their natural habitats for study back at base that they may not ever have intended to return. If there's a crime here relating to mistreating animals, it was kidnapping.
You raise your charge to kidnapping. I reduce my charge to animal testing.

They tested the solution on the animal before testing it on Kirk.

Not that I really have any problem with that
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 06:24 AM   #38
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

This situation isn't like The Andromeda Strain. Not that what they did in that film was unjustified, but they actually took healthy animals and exposed them to a space disease, in order to understand its pathology and find a cure.

It's true that they took advantage of already having the split animal to test the procedure for Kirk, but all they did was try to cure a space dog that needed curing, and they didn't sacrifice an otherwise viable animal just for Kirk's benefit. That's not even animal testing; it's experimental exoveterinary medicine.

Yes, I don't believe that they'd just randomly snatch space dogs, especially not as isolated specimens. That's a strike against the episode right there. The only reasons the space dog was in the episode were to reveal to the rest of the crew what was going on to Kirk and to amplify the jeopardy that Kirk was in.
Old February 9 2014, 09:08 PM   #39
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
That actually points out a pet peeve of mine: how so many people seem to credit Star Trek with firsts which are, in fact, old tried and true conventions.
The way Star trek generated the "evil twin" you have to admit was unique, employing a technological device.

It's not like born twins. Or Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde who was simply one man under the influence of a mind altering drug.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 10:22 PM   #40
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
Sir Rhosis wrote: View Post
In answer to Lance's question, evil twins have been with us for a long long time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_twin

Also, after I wrote the Unseen article a number of years ago, a Youtube user recut the act to conform to the script. Results here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-olilLSyyYE

Sir Rhosis
I can't resist pointing out that Bette Davis made at least two "evil twin" movies: A Stolen Life (1946) and Dead Ringers (1964). And Boris Karloff did it at least once: The Black Room (1935).

But, yeah, the transporter twist was new.
Old February 10 2014, 12:26 AM   #41
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

While the "evil twin" trope was already a television cliche by the time "The Enemy Within" came around, the episode put a fresh spin on the idea by having the evil twin actually be the dark side of the personality of the series' lead. The episode is certainly one of the darker-themed entries in the early first season, with effective direction by Leo Penn. Shatner turns in one of the greatest of his performances on the series, compellingly portraying both the "evil" and the "good" Kirk as recognizably distinct and different types. The raw elements of this episode work so well, as they do in the best episodes of TOS, that the viewer overlooks the absurdity of the central premise (that the transporter could seperate positive personality elements from negative ones.) The subplot of the stranded crewmen succeeds in adding tension to the central storyline.
Moment you might miss if you're not paying close attention - when Scotty is discussing the transporter situation, and the inadvisability of bringing the stranded crew aboard, he says "They might all be duplicated like y-" and then quickly catches himself and says "Like the animal." No dummy, Scott has of course figured out the obvious origin of "the imposter".
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 03:17 PM   #42
Cap'n Claus
Rear Admiral

If I had to complain about anything in this classic episode, it's McCoy's attitude about the men below. "What if death was caused by transporter malfunction? Then you'd die. They'd die anyway."

"They'd die anyway" always felt too cold for McCoy. What the hell did Sulu do to him? The guy's a doctor. Even if the line stayed, the delivery could have been a little different.

Other than that, a solid 9 or 10. Easily in my top 5 Trek's ever. And god what a great score!
Old February 11 2014, 04:11 PM   #43
Warped9
Admiral

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
If I had to complain about anything in this classic episode, it's McCoy's attitude about the men below. "What if death was caused by transporter malfunction? Then you'd die. They'd die anyway."

"They'd die anyway" always felt too cold for McCoy. What the hell did Sulu do to him? The guy's a doctor. Even if the line stayed, the delivery could have been a little different.

Other than that, a solid 9 or 10. Easily in my top 5 Trek's ever. And god what a great score!
Jim Kirk is McCoy's friend and under stress people can say things they might not otherwise say.
Old February 11 2014, 04:32 PM   #44
Cap'n Claus
Rear Admiral

Which is fine for real people, but it seems out of character for a scripted regular. But it was early in the series' development and Bones was a little crankier.
Old February 12 2014, 01:49 AM   #45
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

You said it for me. It was only McCoy's third episode production-wise, the whole show was still working out its rough edges, including Nimoy's portrayal of Spock. Could we expect any more from McCoy at this point?