Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old February 3 2014, 04:31 AM   #31
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral

View Yuletide Caroler's Twitter Profile
Re: If There's a New Trek TV Show Then Which Universe Will They Set It

Yep ... which is why I wish they'd have offered at least some perspective. I'm already interested (based on them and their choices for leads - Dawson, for example, I was introduced to in Sin City, but I really loved her performance in a challenging role in Gemini Division) ... a general idea of what their take might be ... would be a lot of fun to sink one's teeth into.
Old February 3 2014, 10:20 AM   #32
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

How about the universe from "Parallels" where the Locutus and the Borg had assimilated Earth and the quadrant was on the brink of total domination?
Old February 3 2014, 01:54 PM   #33
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

^I'd watch a movie (or limited series or a made for TV movie) about that but an entire series of that would be overkill (literally and figuratively).
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 02:24 PM   #34
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Post-apocalyptic Trek is fun for one-off "what if?" episodes, but as a whole series it undermines Trek's basic premise as an optimistic future.
Old February 3 2014, 03:22 PM   #35
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

^Pretty much that.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 01:25 AM   #36
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Renegades isn't nuTrek.
Sure as hell ain't "oldTrek."

Merry Christmas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 02:27 AM   #37
billcosby
Commodore

I think a show set in the alternate reality in TNG's Yesterday's Enterprise would be excellent. Giving the Federation something to fear... total domination from the Klingons. Then again, it might make exploring impossible.
DS9 made a great balance out of war arcs and standalone exploration, though.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 03:55 AM   #38
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

billcosby wrote: View Post
I think a show set in the alternate reality in TNG's Yesterday's Enterprise would be excellent. Giving the Federation something to fear... total domination from the Klingons. Then again, it might make exploring impossible.
DS9 made a great balance out of war arcs and standalone exploration, though.
I enjoyed Andromeda S1 - S4, for the most part, and I think it could make for a good Trek Series, if rewritten a bit to feel more organic to the Brand

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 07:59 AM   #39
drt
Commander

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Why couldn't it just be its own thing? There have been at least three different versions of Sherlock Holmes produced by different people over the last few years.
My guess is the next Trek series will be another Kirk/Spock reboot. And, similar to Sherlock Holmes TV/movies, after that next reboot, the property will probably lie fallow fow several years, and then be simply be Kirk/Spock rebooted again.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 02:24 PM   #40
anh165
Commander

dub wrote: View Post
You say that as if everything post-TOS was UNpopular and poorly-rated, and that's just not the case. But I don't think they need Trek guest stars to make the series work anyway. And the timeline issue is completely separate from the popularity issue. Writers will use whatever timeline works for them. Big wigs could care less about the timeline. Just the brand and whether or not the story or show will sell and be watched.
Most of Trek post TOS/TMP was riddled with poor writing and even worse - poor acting and casting, as an outright form of TV entertainment, it was very poor and often very insulting.

Patrick Stewart and TNG gave post-TOS some credibility and it's success was due to generally half decent casting and very importantly stuck to the explore new worlds and getting into adventures theme. It was relevant at the time where the early 1990's tried to embrace liberalism.

It was DS9, Voyager and ENT, products of Rick Berman and his army that spun Trek into a show that encouraged combat-ism and intolerance. Each week the message was if you cannot run from it (fandango folding nacelles and warp 9.999 speeds), you shoot your way out of it (i managed to pull a anti-borg phaser modulation that triples our firepower out of my ass).

This way of delivering "Trek" killed any need for proper characterisation, which meant killed the need for proper casting, and killed the need for quality acting. So this is why the Tom Paris', Harry Kims', Neelix's, Odos, Siskos, Daxs', Kiras and every Klingon played by every hammy actor got away with very unconvincing and poor performances which would not be tolerated on any other high profile TV series or movie.

Lines are merely a tool to help progress the story or to fill in voids in the screen play rather than provide insight and invite apathy of the characters, no engagement from the audience needed.

And even if Paramount and JJ Abrams took on trek within the prime universe, the huge stylistic changes towards SFX, scripting, casting and acting would cause too much discontinuity from TOS, or from what we saw in Nemesis. The alt universe angle gives the artistic license to give Trek the new/modern visual spectacle and the right sort of casting needed for today's competitive and cut throat film industry.

It is very difficult to sum up the problem of the "prime universe" in a single post, but you only need to watch a decent TV show of any other genre or quality motion picture to appreciate what good entertainment can be. And that "prime universe" trek in today's climate is not the way how to do it.

Last edited by anh165; February 7 2014 at 03:28 PM.
anh165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 04:59 PM   #41
The Baby Stig
Rear Admiral

drt wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Why couldn't it just be its own thing? There have been at least three different versions of Sherlock Holmes produced by different people over the last few years.
My guess is the next Trek series will be another Kirk/Spock reboot. And, similar to Sherlock Holmes TV/movies, after that next reboot, the property will probably lie fallow fow several years, and then be simply be Kirk/Spock rebooted again.
Yep. If Star Trek returns to television, it'll be Kirk/Spock and the Enterprise.

It's a big 'if.'

All we know is, he's The Baby Stig.
The Baby Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 06:10 AM   #42
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

The Stig wrote: View Post
Yep. If Star Trek returns to television, it'll be Kirk/Spock and the Enterprise.

It's a big 'if.'
It'll be back at some point.
Old February 9 2014, 09:45 PM   #43
think
Rear Admiral

View think's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to think Send a message via AIM to think Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to think Send a message via Yahoo to think

Kirk: I want a third option when it comes to universes :P

On the set of the ship relativity, mostly wasting time., but some good jumps between here and there.

OK I have decided to turn my living-room into a man cave of the future.... all things are possible yep. going to attempt a landing on earth with my man cave, incognito///
Old February 10 2014, 04:16 PM   #44
AirCommodore
Lieutenant Commander

Ro_Laren wrote: View Post
If they have a new Trek series TV show then do you think that there is any chance that it would be set in the Prime Universe? Or do you think Abram's Trek movies mean that there is no turning back and that the future of Trek is going to be stuck in Abramsverse?
Every new creative team that comes in may have their own ideas about how to do ST. There really isn't a "Prime Universe". The BermanVerse is gone. His lengthy tenure did allow for a long stretch of continuity in style and storytelling, but we may have a series of different variations on the basic idea of ST going forward.

I now look at each new ST installment the way I look at each new iteration of Superman, Sherlock Holmes, Spider Man or King Arthur. New people, new cast and fresh take on the core story.

The JJverse will last as long as JJ does. When he's gone, that universe will end just as it does when new teams are hired for yet another remake of Superman, Spider Man or King Arthur and Camelot.
AirCommodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 06:20 PM   #45
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

AirCommodore wrote: View Post
Ro_Laren wrote: View Post
If they have a new Trek series TV show then do you think that there is any chance that it would be set in the Prime Universe? Or do you think Abram's Trek movies mean that there is no turning back and that the future of Trek is going to be stuck in Abramsverse?
Every new creative team that comes in may have their own ideas about how to do ST. There really isn't a "Prime Universe". The BermanVerse is gone. His lengthy tenure did allow for a long stretch of continuity in style and storytelling, but we may have a series of different variations on the basic idea of ST going forward.

I now look at each new ST installment the way I look at each new iteration of Superman, Sherlock Holmes, Spider Man or King Arthur. New people, new cast and fresh take on the core story.

The JJverse will last as long as JJ does. When he's gone, that universe will end just as it does when new teams are hired for yet another remake of Superman, Spider Man or King Arthur and Camelot.
Well put. And that's exactly as it should be.