A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 6 2014, 10:05 PM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: "The Man Trap" if you had seen it's debut in the 60's

What strikes me about "The Man Trap" is how much eating is in it. There are so many scenes where the characters are eating or talking about food, more than any other episode. I sometimes wonder if that was intentional satire in a story about the crew themselves becoming "food" for a predator.

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
I'm wondering about the 'Monster of the Week' reference.

I only watched the reruns in the 70s. I had no fears about the whole series being about monsters. But that's not the first episode I saw. I have seen the term used to refer to "The Man Trap" before but wonder why people would think that.
As Greg said, the template is something like The Outer Limits, which was a smart SF anthology, but which the network demanded include a monster in every episode to entertain the kids. Monsters were also frequently featured in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and Lost in Space, though not every week. The whole reason NBC scheduled "The Man Trap" as the series premiere is because it fit the monster-story template that so much SFTV had at the time, and thus conformed to their expectations.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2014, 11:56 PM   #17
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

The food scenes are, I believe, a function of the early episodes' greater inclusion of scenes of onboard daily life.
Old February 7 2014, 12:14 AM   #18
urbandefault
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
What strikes me about "The Man Trap" is how much eating is in it. There are so many scenes where the characters are eating or talking about food, more than any other episode. I sometimes wonder if that was intentional satire in a story about the crew themselves becoming "food" for a predator.

I'm wondering about the 'Monster of the Week' reference.

I only watched the reruns in the 70s. I had no fears about the whole series being about monsters. But that's not the first episode I saw. I have seen the term used to refer to "The Man Trap" before but wonder why people would think that.
As Greg said, the template is something like The Outer Limits, which was a smart SF anthology, but which the network demanded include a monster in every episode to entertain the kids. Monsters were also frequently featured in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and Lost in Space, though not every week. The whole reason NBC scheduled "The Man Trap" as the series premiere is because it fit the monster-story template that so much SFTV had at the time, and thus conformed to their expectations.
The eating thing is a great observation. When I was younger we used to talk about little things like that we'd notice in the episodes, but now I've seen them so many times that stuff like that goes right by me.
Old February 7 2014, 01:27 AM   #19
Bad Atom
Commodore

View Bad Atom's Twitter Profile

I always assumed the eating scenes served two purposes, to show the crew's off-duty life and have a convenient way to show the creature's desire for salt.
Bad Atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 01:34 AM   #20
Christopher
Writer

Bad Atom wrote: View Post
I always assumed the eating scenes served two purposes, to show the crew's off-duty life and have a convenient way to show the creature's desire for salt.
Well, yeah, on the surface, but I've wondered if there was an additional subtext. Or maybe it's a George Clayton Johnson thing, although I don't remember whether his Twilight Zone episodes had a lot of eating.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 02:10 AM   #21
plynch
Commodore

I never thought about this until reading it somewhere on this BBS I think . . . they could've gone Horta-esque and just fed it lots of salt and not killed it, right?

I know it had killed, but it was starving; they later forgave MamaHorta and moved on, right?

Come to think, why didn't it just go to the food slots or the galley and eat a bunch o' salt? Eh, whatever, I like the ep's early moodiness and conversational dialog. I generally prefer the vibe of the earlier eps and wish they'd kept it.

But they didn't. So we we move on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the late '60s.
Old February 7 2014, 03:39 AM   #22
Dale Sams
Captain

Talk about being immured in the present-day...this only just occurred to me. Did the network receive any complaints about Uhura's part in that particular show?

If I ever heard about it, I've forgotten.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 03:42 AM   #23
Dale Sams
Captain

plynch wrote: View Post
I never thought about this until reading it somewhere on this BBS I think . . . they could've gone Horta-esque and just fed it lots of salt and not killed it, right?

I know it had killed, but it was starving; they later forgave MamaHorta and moved on, right?

Come to think, why didn't it just go to the food slots or the galley and eat a bunch o' salt? Eh, whatever, I like the ep's early moodiness and conversational dialog. I generally prefer the vibe of the earlier eps and wish they'd kept it.

But they didn't. So we we move on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the late '60s.
Not only that, but it's *Spock* calling the idea, 'reckless'.

But though slightly out of character for him for almost the rest of history, I don't mind at all how Spock is portrayed in that episode.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 08:45 AM   #24
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

plynch wrote: View Post

I think the Salt Monster had them backed into a corner so McCoy had no choice but to phaser it to save Kirk.
Based on other episodes they probably would have saved it if Spock had a choice (unless it was killing the Captain - then no dice)
CommishSleer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 08:43 PM   #25
plynch
Commodore

Yeah, at the climax of the ep, there's clear life-or-death. Back up a few hours and put out a message, Hey, Baggy Eyes, all the salt you can eat . . . come an' get it. Then you've got a neat cultural exchange thing going soon. Instead of little Hortas digging tunnels, you'd have an old Vampire taste-testing the soup . . . but still.

But I understand, it was early, they were finding their way in the tone of the show.
Old February 8 2014, 01:33 AM   #26
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

Kirk (TOS) was inconsistent when dealing with 'monsters'. He was happy that Lenore (the killer of his friend and 6 others) was being cared for and he seemed to let Dr Coleman off scott free despite being involved in several deaths and in helping Lester try to kill Kirk.
Yet Kirk didn't even attempt communication with the cloud creature in "Obsession" or the creatures that were attacking Deneva. Perhaps they were misunderstood like the Gorn and the Horta.
I personally give the Salt Vampire killing a pass because they didn't seem to have a choice. Though that was of course the writing. They wanted to show I think McCoy and Spock's loyalty to Kirk I think so the Salt Vampire's death was incidental.
Old February 8 2014, 01:46 AM   #27
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

To be fair, Lenore was obviously mentally disturbed and had already accidentally killed her own father. She was no longer a threat to the ship or its crew and had ended up paying a huge price for her crimes; what would be the point in treating her like a monster? She was more to be pitied than feared.
Old February 8 2014, 02:05 AM   #28
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

Tell that to Dr Leyton's wife.

But I agree with you. She had to live with the horror of what her father did for her entire life.

Edit: Although I'm sure she wouldn't be found 'insane' under current US laws.
Old February 8 2014, 02:23 AM   #29
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Tell that to Dr Leyton's wife.

But I agree with you. She had to live with the horror of what her father did for her entire life.

Edit: Although I'm sure she wouldn't be found 'insane' under current US laws.
Yeah, imagine finding out that your beloved father is actually Kodos the Executioner. That might drive you around the bend. And remember she was only nineteen years old when Kirk ended her murder spree. She was literally a troubled teen.

In any event, once she's exposed, she's not powerful enough to destroy an Earth colony or anything, so you might as well treat her humanely. Although, judging from what we saw in "Dagger of the Mind" and "Whom Gods Destroy," I'm not sure shipping her to a Federation asylum is exactly light punishment.
Old February 8 2014, 02:28 AM   #30
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

"The Wrath of Lenore". Come on, it practically writes it's self!
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote