Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old January 5 2014, 11:50 PM   #16
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

Re: Changes begining with 3rd Season

360, Dukhat? That points you back in the direction you were going in the first place. Now, a 180, that's a different story.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 07:02 AM   #17
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

I'm still on the fence with the Xindi storyline. It had its moments, yet it could have been better.
Old January 7 2014, 07:43 AM   #18
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I wish the season had had fewer diversions.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 10:30 AM   #19
teacock
Admiral

And I wish we never got taken out to the holosuite.. but there ya go. Episodic 22+ a season television.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 03:35 PM   #20
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Tachyon wrote: View Post
I'm still on the fence with the Xindi storyline. It had its moments, yet it could have been better.
Or, better yet, it could not have happened at all.

I never bought into these "what's your favorite/least favorite season of Star Trek?" discussions before, then that worthless Xindi season happened.

Most notably, it achieved the impossible. It took Trip, who was an insufferable, unlikable, loud mouthed jackass from day one, and turned him into an insufferable, unlikeable WHINY loud mouthed jackass.

But, I understnad some people like the Xindi arc, and I'm fine with that. I just don't.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2014, 02:55 AM   #21
MakeshiftPython
Captain

The new upbeat opening was a very strange decision, more mystifying than why they chose the original song in the beginning. From what I understand, the fourth season starting with "Borderland" was going to debut a totally revised opening with the Archer theme and have Bakula recite the opening lines that Shatner and Stewart did, albeit "where no human has gone before". For whatever reason (my guess is they didn't want to spend money on new visuals for the opening), that never came to pass and so the revised version of that Rod Stewart song remained.

I like the third season as a one-off. I'm not sure if it was ever the right direction for the series, but I thought it was worth it just for how it made me care for the characters for the first time. I did not like Archer in the first two seasons. He was just too damned naive to make a believable captain, so I was fine with the direction they took him, making him not only more hardened but self aware that he was going to far and losing something. I do like that moment in "Storm Front" where Silik comments on how he changed and Archer says "not for the better". It's stuff like that that made him come off more like a believable person. No longer in gazelle land.

That said, I think the fourth season really should have been what the show was from the start. That would mean I'd erase the whole Xindi arc, wouldn't it? Yet I like what was brought to the table. It's such a complicated show, this ENTERPRISE. That's why I give it much more credit than VOYAGER, which just never went anywhere interesting beyond a couple of dozen episodes.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 09:37 PM   #22
MikeyO
Ensign

I hated the theme in the first two seasons and was disappointed that they changed it only slightly. I wish they would have replaced it entirely, but that's just my opinion.
MikeyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 10:44 PM   #23
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

FormerLurker wrote: View Post
360, Dukhat? That points you back in the direction you were going in the first place. Now, a 180, that's a different story.
180 is a reverse of direction, 360 means you completely spun around, were shook up, and now have a totally new way of looking at the things that were right in front of you before.

Old February 7 2014, 10:54 PM   #24
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Saganistheman wrote: View Post
I do not see the reason behind the subtle changes to the opening credit music.
Subtle?

It was jarring! And absolutely friggin' AWFUL!
Old February 7 2014, 11:06 PM   #25
MacLeod
Admiral

You know I never really had an issue with the theme song, that being said the version used in S1-2 was the better version.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 12:09 AM   #26
Mach5
Rear Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
You know I never really had an issue with the theme song, that being said the version used in S1-2 was the better version.
I too was one of the few who liked the intro because I thought it captured the spirit of the show perfectly, but I absolutely hated what they've done to it in season 3.
Old February 8 2014, 12:43 AM   #27
MikeyO
Ensign

Mach5 wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
I too was one of the few who liked the intro because I thought it captured the spirit of the show perfectly, but I absolutely hated what they've done to it in season 3.
I like the sequence quite a bit with the imagery of the progression of exploration, and I agree that the lyrics fit, I just couldn't stand the music/singing combination. I typically skip the opening credits on most shows after I've seen it a dozen times mostly to save time, but ugh, as soon as it would start I immediately want to skip ahead. If I had to choose between the S1-2 or S3-4 themes though, I think the latter is more tolerable.
MikeyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 01:12 AM   #28
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

I liked the added back beat.