Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 9 2013, 12:33 AM   #91
shanejayell
Captain

Re: Star Trek: The Seekers

I'm hoping we'll see some crossover with Vanguard plot threads. And the SCE of the era...
Old October 9 2013, 06:03 PM   #92
Mage
Commodore

shanejayell wrote: View Post
I'm hoping we'll see some crossover with Vanguard plot threads. And the SCE of the era...
Well, considering that the last VAN novel ended
Old October 9 2013, 09:11 PM   #93
Relayer1
Commodore

shanejayell wrote: View Post
SCE. Yes...
Old October 11 2013, 06:49 PM   #94
Sho
Fleet Captain

Can you imagine KRAD writing an SCE-themed Seekers entry ...
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 04:00 PM   #95
Mage
Commodore

I just realized something.....

no Bersh glov Mog. I really liked him.
Old October 14 2013, 04:29 AM   #96
trampledamage
Clone

Sho wrote: View Post
Can you imagine KRAD writing an SCE-themed Seekers entry ...
I would certainly like him to!

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 04:36 PM   #97
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

The books are now listed at Amazon.

What's odd is that they seem to have titles - weren't the Seeker books supposed to be just numbered (Seekers , Seekers 2, etc..)?

FWIW at least in the amazon listing the first book by David Mack is called Second Nature and the second one by Ward/Dilmore Point of Divergence.

Note: Since they only list Dilmore as the writer of Book 2, they just as well could be wrong about the titles as well.

ETA: Dayton confirmed on Twitter that they were asked to provide titles.

Last edited by Defcon; November 3 2013 at 04:49 PM.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 04:46 PM   #98
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

That's lame. I loved the throwback feel of those cover mock-ups, with just the numbers.
Old November 3 2013, 04:50 PM   #99
Defcon
Rear Admiral

They could still go for that and only have the titles on the spine, but I guess that's unlikely.
Old November 3 2013, 05:44 PM   #100
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Defcon wrote: View Post
They could still go for that and only have the titles on the spine, but I guess that's unlikely.
I wouldn't be surprised if they now had titles for merchandising and sales purposes. Pocket wouldn't want people in bookstores to miss a book because they were confused by the lack of a title, and they would want people to be able to find the book online through searches. A title cuts adds clarity. I'm only speculating -- I don't know that that's the reason -- but it wouldn't surprise me at all because I deal with the very thing in my day job.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 06:36 PM   #101
Defcon
Rear Admiral

Dayton has posted about the listing on his blog:

We were told Friday that this info was being pushed out over the weekend, and it looks like Amazon.com‘s already more or less on the ball with it, but the first two Star Trek: Seekers novels are now as listed as forthcoming and available for pre-order.
Kinda.

Star Trek: Seekers #2 – Point of Divergence, by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore, August 26th, 2014

Now, there’s a few things to note about these listings:
First, they’re listed as being only available in Kindle e-Book format. For those wondering, rest assured that the books also will be available as mass market paperbacks, along with all the various other e-Book formats.
Next, they’ve appended “Star Trek: The Original Series” to both titles. I suspect this is just related to whatever sales/marketing copy was sent out, as “Star Trek: Seekers” remains the series title. For whatever it’s worth, they did the same thing with Harbinger, the first book in the Star Trek: Vanguard series

At the moment, Kevin is listed as the sole author of Book #2, which is just another example of how Amazon tends to dick up entries with more than one author. I imagine this will be updated/corrected in due course.
Anyway, there you go. I expect that other booksellers will start populating their own sites with similar info in the coming days. It should be fun to see what they do with the data entry.

Meanwhile, I guess I should probably get on with writing my part of Book #2, then….

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they now had titles for merchandising and sales purposes. Pocket wouldn't want people in bookstores to miss a book because they were confused by the lack of a title, and they would want people to be able to find the book online through searches. A title cuts adds clarity. I'm only speculating -- I don't know that that's the reason -- but it wouldn't surprise me at all because I deal with the very thing in my day job.
I think you're probably spot on with that.
Old November 3 2013, 11:52 PM   #102
Defcon
Rear Admiral

David Mack has now posted about this as well on his blog.

Excerpt:

Eagle-eyed readers who remember the original pitch for the Seekers concept might be scratching their heads right now. Because Dayton and I have already been asked about this on Twitter, I might as well address the inevitable inquiries now.
When we first announced the series, our vision was that the books would not have regular titles, only numbers, in order to evoke the retro look and feel of the old James Blish anthologies published by Bantam in the 1970s.

Long story short, we were overruled on this by the publisher. I’ll spare you the book-industry technobabble, but the simple explanation is that we were told the automated, meta-tagged, keyword-driven sales system that connects publishers, wholesalers, and retailers, would have suffered some kind of cyber-seizure if we had denied it titles. So, the books will now have titles. Win some, lose some.
Old February 7 2014, 08:39 PM   #103
Relayer1
Commodore

Can anyone remember if the authors said anything about whether Reyes (and Desai) were 'done' or if there was any chance of seeing them again ?

How about Pennington and (I'm sorry but) I just can't remember what happened to Quinn.
Old February 7 2014, 08:43 PM   #104
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

^ Don't expect to see any of them in Seekers.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 08:52 PM   #105
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
(I'm sorry but) I just can't remember what happened to Quinn.
He has a new identity and a clean chance at a new life out beyond the Federation. T'Prynn saw to it (rather than killing him as she was directed to do). I doubt we'll ever be seeing him again. He's free now.