Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 31 2014, 03:47 AM   #571
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Re: Season FIVE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Another possibility is that everything was D1 right up until they needed to put titles on the episode, and to do that perhaps they made D2 dupes and that's where all the composite artifacts originate.
Old January 31 2014, 05:09 AM   #572
MakeshiftPython
Captain

Being produced on D1 and then finalized on D2 might be the case, because I remember on DS9 the rainbow artifacts that would appear on exterior shots in the first three seasons were no longer present from the start of S4.

Just to get off topic, I do miss watching DS9 as if it were looking brand new on the DVDs from season four and on, when it looked as good as it could ever look on a CRT TV before I upgraded to HD.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 11:34 AM   #573
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Or the VFX team could've gone D2 to D1 for the effects and done the effects in D1 or the D1 could've been false PR on Paramount's part. When I was checking the Blu-Ray of Tribble-ations, I had set my PS3's display output to 480p, and surprise, surprise, that episode actually played at 480p while the TOS and TAS episodes both played at 1080p (with other Blu-rays I've noticed that with the PS3, if the display's set to 1080p then everything will be upressed to 1080p, if it's set lower, such as 720p, it'll only play 1080p encoded stuff at 1080p or 1080i at 1080i, everything else will be at 720p). Of course Tribble-ations is in a 16:9 matte, but encoded at a high bit rate 15-20Mbps on average.

Last edited by tomswift2002; January 31 2014 at 11:55 AM.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 06:53 PM   #574
Borjis
Commodore

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Another possibility is that everything was D1 right up until they needed to put titles on the episode, and to do that perhaps they made D2 dupes and that's where all the composite artifacts originate.

I was thinking that as well. It always shows itself whenever you see the deflector dish of the D.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 11:51 PM   #575
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Then there's also the fact that D1 was not readily accepted at the time for being a film to video tape transfer method.

This is a quote from "Video Editing: A Post Production Primer Fourth Edition" by Steven E. Browne published in 2002 (you can check out the quote here: http://www.tlu.ee/~rajaleid/BFF6193_...Primer-4ed.pdf on page 6 of the PDF --- page 10 of the scanned book)

D1, an expensive, extremely high-end product, was used for effects and graphics. D2, a less-expensive digital medium, made inroads into the higher-budgeted production and postproduction environment and as a film-to-tape mastering format...while D2 was used for some graphic and animation product creation.
So even though D1 may sound like the better format for the editors to use, it has a number of strikes against it, with the biggest one being that for film-to-video mastering, it was not the format that was being used. And the high cost of D1, as someone mentioned in the Season 2 forum, would've been a major detractor to the producers of TNG and DS9.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 01:13 AM   #576
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

No, the use of D1 was not "false PR on Paramount's part." As it says in the official ST:TNG magazine piece, the whole reason they moved their post-production to that digital bay at The Post Group was so they could work entirely in D1 and abandon the analog 1" tape. Note that the article also says, "...some of the equipment in the bay is still considered R & D (Research and Development) and came with no manuals."

Given the option between D1 and D2, D1 is obviously what they would use given the heavy amount of live-action bluescreen photography shot on the Paramount stages and the front light/back light ultraviolet matting they were doing on the motion control stages at Image "G".

As I said, D2 might have been used further down the chain when titles were put on the episodes. That would explain everything you're pointing out without contradicting the existing sources of information we have.
Old February 5 2014, 03:51 PM   #577
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Deleted -- Wrong thread :-)

Last edited by trekker670; February 5 2014 at 06:57 PM.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 05:43 PM   #578
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

"Brothers" is a season 4 episode, though. ;-)
gaghyogi49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 06:58 PM   #579
trekker670
Fleet Captain

True enough :-) I've moved my post.
Old February 7 2014, 07:50 AM   #580
depp91
Ensign

Look what I found googling, this seems like a preview shot of the remastered S6 episode Birthright - where does this come from???
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=61265
depp91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 10:21 AM   #581
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

depp91 wrote: View Post
Look what I found googling, this seems like a preview shot of the remastered S6 episode Birthright - where does this come from???
Looks legit to me. As to where it comes from, who knows? But it's obviously the real deal. Good find!

Last edited by Maxwell Everett; February 7 2014 at 09:06 PM.
Maxwell Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 10:27 AM   #582
M
Vice Admiral

The newly composited matte shot look amazing, but reading "Birthright" I was hoping to get a glimpse of Deep Space Nine in HD. Damn.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 04:04 PM   #583
trekker670
Fleet Captain

M wrote: View Post
The newly composited matte shot look amazing, but reading "Birthright" I was hoping to get a glimpse of Deep Space Nine in HD. Damn.
Those were my hopes as well!

But, it does look good (as expected). It's interesting to see the changes they made in the foliage just surrounding the compound.
Old February 7 2014, 05:30 PM   #584
depp91
Ensign

I wonder who leaked this shot...
It looks great though. The improvement is HUGE despite the low resolution. Looks like one of the more realistic matte paintings in TNG.
depp91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 06:14 PM   #585
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

The buildings and the trees around it (which were touched up for the remastering) were actually a tabletop model. I guess the trees were changed and added to better mask the transition from the model to the photo of trees.
gaghyogi49 is offline   Reply With Quote