Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Favorite Incarnation Of The Doctor
William Hartnell 2 2.06%
Patrick Troughton 10 10.31%
Jon Pertwee 9 9.28%
Tom Baker 22 22.68%
Peter Davison 5 5.15%
Colin Baker 3 3.09%
Sylvester McCoy 2 2.06%
Paul McGann 3 3.09%
John Hurt 1 1.03%
Christopher Eccleston 7 7.22%
David Tennant 16 16.49%
Matt Smith 17 17.53%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 4 2014, 11:03 PM   #31
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Re: Favorite Incarnation Of The Doctor

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
Green Lantern wrote: View Post
I found it unbearable. If you like Shakespearian plays then you were born to love this, but I loathe them so I obviously wouldn't be very keen on this.
You've made this comparison twice now and I have to ask, how is The Aztecs anything like a Shakespearean play? I don't see the connection at all.

I have to agree with what others have said here, I love The Aztecs, its one of my favorite Hartnell stories. I really wish the show would do more pure historicals once in a while. History can be exciting enough on its own, no need for aliens all over the place
How can I say this? There were loads of "oohs" and "arhs" and stuff along with hammy acting that felt like they were just doing a play. I suppose I can't really make you understand without doing a sarcastic impression but seeing this is the internet, I can't.

Meh, never liked history much. Much prefer the sci-fi.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 11:18 PM   #32
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I admit, the Historicals, in general, I do have a bit of an aversion to, but, as I said, I do love The Aztecs (And do like The Romans quite well).

I did notice, that the Special Edition of The Aztecs, actually does feel quite a bit like a play (Due to the Remasstering?), but, I don't really see how that is a negative for it

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 11:38 PM   #33
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Classic Favorite: Tom Baker
New Favorite: David Tennant
It's much easier to decide by doing it your way. With that in mind...

Classic Doctor: Jon Pertwee
New Favorite: Matt Smith

Those are the two incarnations with whom I would most want to accompany through time and space.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 11:43 PM   #34
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
Tom Baker, of course.
Agreed, because you know what, he was my Doctor.
He's not just my Doctor. Far as I'm concerned, he IS The Doctor. Period. Those before him were just warmups. Those after him are just pretenders.

And I am unanimous in this.
I just got this mental image of Mrs Slocombe and the rest of the staff from Grace Brothers in the TARDIS: "Don't worry if your ears are too long; they'll ride up with wear!"

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
I found it unbearable. If you like Shakespearian plays then you were born to love this, but I loathe them so I obviously wouldn't be very keen on this.
You've made this comparison twice now and I have to ask, how is The Aztecs anything like a Shakespearean play? I don't see the connection at all.

I have to agree with what others have said here, I love The Aztecs, its one of my favorite Hartnell stories. I really wish the show would do more pure historicals once in a while. History can be exciting enough on its own, no need for aliens all over the place
How can I say this? There were loads of "oohs" and "arhs" and stuff along with hammy acting that felt like they were just doing a play. I suppose I can't really make you understand without doing a sarcastic impression but seeing this is the internet, I can't.

Meh, never liked history much. Much prefer the sci-fi.
There's nothing "just" about doing a play. That's what people had for entertainment before radio and TV, y'know.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 01:04 AM   #35
diankra
Commodore

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
And I am unanimous in this.
I just got this mental image of Mrs Slocombe and the rest of the staff from Grace Brothers in the TARDIS: "Don't worry if your ears are too long; they'll ride up with wear!"
Ah, Mollie Sugden. So nice in person. Really lovely. :-)

Anyway... I really wish we could do one of these polls with a 'Name top three' approach... Hartnell and many others might come surprisingly high if we did - no chance of winning, but in the top five maybe.
In which spirit, if it was a vote-for-five, I'd go for Hartnell, Troughton, Tom, Hurt and Eccleston (instead of just Troughton). With Matt Smith getting Hurt's place if he 'Didn't count' (and McGann next in waiting after that).
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 02:04 AM   #36
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

I will admit that I have not yet heard all of the BF stuff for the 4-8 Doctors yet, however I can safely say that from what I heard, and its a lot (basically Eighth's entire Main Range run, and most of his Adventures series), all of them get an improved appreciation. OK, Four was good on TV too, but I did feel like 5-7 were not very well-served on TV for the most part, especially the Sixth, whose on-screen persona alone is a definite step-down in characterization for the Doctor. That said, BF did hugely improve upon him, and I can't wait to hear more of him.

Honestly, I love them all. They're all the same character for me, albeit with a different, say, outlook in life. However, Eccleston was my Doctor, and Tennant is a close second. And for the old Docs, Baker all the way, very closely followed Troughton - simply because, before I ever saw a single second of Doctor Who, the Fourth Doctor simply embodied the role. Whenever DW was mentioned, the big scarf, curly hair and long-ish coat came to mind. An indelible image.

Anyway, here's the ranking:

12. John Hurt's War Doctor
11. William Hartnell's First
10. Colin Baker's Sixth
09. Sylvester McCoy's Seventh
08. Jon Pertwee's Third
07. Matt Smith's Eleventh
06. Peter Davison's Fifth
05. Paul McGann's Eighth
04. Patrick Troughton's Second
03. Tom Baker's Fourth
02. David Tennant's Tenth (by extension, the Meta-Crisis, although maybe not)
01. Christopher Eccleston's Ninth
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 02:10 AM   #37
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Old February 5 2014, 12:34 PM   #38
Timewalker

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
I did feel like 5-7 were not very well-served on TV for the most part...
Why do you think that about Peter Davison's Doctor? Most of his stories were pretty good, and had some interesting story arcs - especially Turlough/Black Guardian, which was a continuation from the Key to Time arc back with the Fourth Doctor and Romana I.

Old February 5 2014, 12:35 PM   #39
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I did notice, that the Special Edition of The Aztecs, actually does feel quite a bit like a play (Due to the Remasstering?), but, I don't really see how that is a negative for it
Well if you detest theatre like myself, then that's a pretty big negative. Some people like theatre and that's alright, but I can't stand it, I loathe plays. Overall, the Aztecs for me was easily the worst classic serial ever and possibly the worst story of all time too. Certainly in the bottom three.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 01:29 PM   #40
Starkers
Admiral

Jesus wept...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 01:37 PM   #41
DWF
Vice Admiral

Tom Baker no question.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 03:28 PM   #42
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Always gonna be Paul McGann for me-- the whim of purchasing an audio drama back in 2001 is what turned me from someone who watched the show on TV sometimes into a full-blow fan!

I find it hard to rank otherwise, but these days I'd place William Hartnell, Peter Davison, and Christopher Eccleston near the top.
Old February 5 2014, 10:11 PM   #43
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Why do you think that about Peter Davison's Doctor? Most of his stories were pretty good, and had some interesting story arcs - especially Turlough/Black Guardian, which was a continuation from the Key to Time arc back with the Fourth Doctor and Romana I.
I admit that Five's turn is OK, and he certainly did have his classics, like Earthshock and, of course, Caves of Androzani. But mostly, I thought his run was plagued with a general lack of characterization. In a lot of ways, Big Finish fleshed out the characters, especially Nyssa, whose survivor's guilt is most emphasized in them, in both big and small ways. BF just added moments of actual drama that you would expect nowadays from DW - namely, a confrontation between Turlough and Tegan after it was revealed that the former was working for the Black Guardian. Or Nyssa's outcry about Adric's death in Spare Parts, or the Fifth Doctor's adamant refusal to let himself be the prototype for the Cybermen.... great character moments like that are badly missing in the TV stories.

Of course, that doesn't mean that his TV stories aren't as a whole better than Sixth/Seventh's runs, and it is. But its not as great as they could've been, partly because JNT was not concerned about characterization and more about getting high ratings.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2014, 12:42 AM   #44
Timewalker

I admit that Five's turn is OK, and he certainly did have his classics, like Earthshock and, of course, Caves of Androzani. But mostly, I thought his run was plagued with a general lack of characterization. In a lot of ways, Big Finish fleshed out the characters, especially Nyssa, whose survivor's guilt is most emphasized in them, in both big and small ways. BF just added moments of actual drama that you would expect nowadays from DW - namely, a confrontation between Turlough and Tegan after it was revealed that the former was working for the Black Guardian. Or Nyssa's outcry about Adric's death in Spare Parts, or the Fifth Doctor's adamant refusal to let himself be the prototype for the Cybermen.... great character moments like that are badly missing in the TV stories.

Of course, that doesn't mean that his TV stories aren't as a whole better than Sixth/Seventh's runs, and it is. But its not as great as they could've been, partly because JNT was not concerned about characterization and more about getting high ratings.
Earthshock was definitely a classic. It really annoyed me that during the 50th anniversary marathon, the end credits for that one weren't silent as they were in the original broadcast.

I guess I'll have to check out these audio adventures. I've never heard any of them.

Old February 6 2014, 01:39 AM   #45
2takesfrakes
Commodore

David Tennant is my favourite "Doctor," but whichever one had this delicious piece of crumpet as his sidekick can't be all bad, either ...

For if I were he, I, too, would have to whisk her away in the Tardis and have my Doctor Whovian way with her.