RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,708
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 440
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 27 2014, 04:59 PM   #16
urbandefault
Captain

Re: Picard/Crusher

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Are Picard and Crusher meant to be an item post-"Attached"? He completely ignores her in the TNG movies.

I actually think Picard and Beverly are a good fit - they're both dull as ditchwater!
Picard ignored Beverly in the movies because he knew that if they got married (my fingers almost typed 'martyred' ) it would never last. Better to nip it in the bud and move on the the hot 300 yr old chick in INS.
Old January 28 2014, 02:01 AM   #17
Makarov
Commander

When I was a kid watching the show I definitely thought they were a couple. Now as an adult I see a bit less chemistry between them. That said I still think they end up together. (although I would rather have seen Picard marry Vash)
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2014, 01:31 PM   #18
MikeS
Fleet Captain

MikeS wrote: View Post
Komack wrote: View Post
In general, we all found the budding Picard/Crusher romance to be an unbelievable plot twist - maybe, in large part, to what seemed to be the utter lack of chemistry between the two actors/characters. Is there a general consensus among the fans re the romance?
"Plot twist"? Are you serious? That romance was hinted at for six seasons. Off the top of my head I can think of The Naked Now, Arsenal of Freedom, Remember Me.
Allegiance
Old January 28 2014, 03:05 PM   #19
Lance
Commodore

It was also supposed to get various call-backs throughout Nemesis, but nearly all of Dr Crusher's scenes got cut out, unfortunately.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2014, 05:18 AM   #20
Ro_Laren
Commodore

dub wrote: View Post
I got the sense early on that they had a fling (or an almost-fling) in the past. Then for the rest of the series, there was sexual tension from time to time between the two of them (at least that was the vibe I was getting). So it was no surprise to me when they actually got together.
I go the impression (mainly from the episode Attached) that Picard was always trying to hold himself back out of some sort of respect for his late best friend Jack. He felt guilty for having feelings for Beverly when Jack was alive and even after Jack died Picard felt like he was stabbing his friend in the back if he pursued a relationship with Bev. To be honest, other than Riker and Deanna, Picard and Beverly is the only Trek relationship that I would really think was believable. I guess Paris and Torres were fine, but I rarely ever think about them as a couple. I've never been a fan of Kira/Odo or Chakotay/7. Maybe Dax and Worf are okay, but even that felt a little off at times.
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2014, 05:55 AM   #21
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
It was also supposed to get various call-backs throughout Nemesis, but nearly all of Dr Crusher's scenes got cut out, unfortunately.
You've really got to hand it to the producers of Nemesis in sort of an inverse way: they were able to extract absolutely every character-related aspect from the final product!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 09:44 PM   #22
T'Cal
Commodore

In at least two episodes (The High Ground & Attached - maybe another) Crusher and Picard are in life or death situations, and she tells him, "Jean-Luc, I have something to tell you..." A friend speculated that Wes was actually Picard's son from a fling they had when she was still with Jack. They never resolved what it was she wished to tell him. In the non-canon book Q-Squared, there's a plot line in which Jack is still alive and captain of the Enterprise with Jean-Luc as his XO. Beverly, separated from Jack, joins the crew as CMO and she and Picard rekindle the torrid affair they had years ago on the down low. Excellent story.
Old February 5 2014, 09:49 PM   #23
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I loved that plotline from the novel. And finding out Jack turned into a maniac under pressure.
Old February 5 2014, 11:36 PM   #24
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain

T'Cal wrote: View Post
In at least two episodes (The High Ground & Attached - maybe another) Crusher and Picard are in life or death situations, and she tells him, "Jean-Luc, I have something to tell you..." A friend speculated that Wes was actually Picard's son from a fling they had when she was still with Jack.
I've heard that one before. In an evil mirror universe maybe – but it's just not believable, in fact it's down right silly, for the characterizations shown in the canon universe. It would mean both Jean-Luc Picard and Beverly Crusher engaging in a rather vile and despicable pattern behaviors. It would entail Picard knocking boots with the wife of his best friend and fellow officer. It would also require Dr. Crusher to lie to her husband and her son about her son's paternity - possibly having to alter medical records. Sorry, I don't see either character behaving in such a manner.

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie
Old February 5 2014, 11:57 PM   #25
Makarov
Commander

Let's not forget the first duty of a starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it's personal truth, historical truth, or the truth of who's the baby's daddy.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2014, 12:11 AM   #26
urbandefault
Captain

Pfft.

In TNG, Picard should have bedded Beverly in the 1st season and been done with it.

That would explain her absence in the 2nd season. Her return would have been to benefit her son.
Old February 6 2014, 04:11 PM   #27
Mister Spock
Lieutenant

Picard was no doubt conflicted about Beverly. She is the widow of his best friend and a subordinate aboard his command. He would feel that to pursue a relationship with Beverly, especially as she is trying to raise the son of his dead friend, would be inappropriate in the eyes of Starfleet and would also be disrespectful to the memory of Jack Crusher.

He's better off just playing with his Ressikan Flute.
Mister Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 07:26 AM   #28
TheSubCommander
Captain

Makarov wrote: View Post
When I was a kid watching the show I definitely thought they were a couple. Now as an adult I see a bit less chemistry between them. That said I still think they end up together.
Totally agree. I thought the same, too. I never could figure out if it was because the producers themselves didn't know how to handle a Picard/Crusher romance, or if it was just the two actors had no chemistry with each other, and the idea was considered but abandoned.

I used to be of the opinion it would have been a good pairing, but now I am not so sure it would have been.

(although I would rather have seen Picard marry Vash)
Sometimes I think I am the only Trek fan than couldn't stand Vash. Her jacked up teeth just bugged me.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 11:28 AM   #29
wtriker1701
Lieutenant

I found their hinted relationship quite intriguing. Would have loved to see it to be continued on the big screen.
wtriker1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 02:13 PM   #30
2takesfrakes
Commodore

urbandefault wrote: View Post
Pfft.

In TNG, Picard should have bedded Beverly in the 1st season and been done with it.

That would explain her absence in the 2nd season. Her return would have been to benefit her son.
Johnny should've had Bev in his Ready Room, in NAKED NOW, there's no question about that. I agree that it would've served to clarify her departure, later. But, oh well ... whatcha gonna do ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote