New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old January 21 2014, 08:26 AM   #331
dcsmokey
Commander

Re: Fan Filmmaker's Primer

You're right - a better example would have been the opening battle of First Contact.
dcsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 08:32 AM   #332
Maurice
Vice Admiral

dcsmokey wrote: View Post
You're right - a better example would have been the opening battle of First Contact.
QFT. And when they did try to show a bit of the battle in the DS9 premier, it felt really small and not scary. In fact, since they had the Borg just grab and hold the Saratoga for minutes instead of just blasting it the way they did the Excelsior class ship, it sucked the life out of the scene.
—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice; January 21 2014 at 09:12 PM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 04:24 PM   #333
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

Maurice wrote: View Post
dcsmokey wrote: View Post
QFT. And when they did try to show a bit of the battle in the DS9 premier, it felt really small and not scary. In fact, since the had the Borg just grab and hold the Saratoga for minutes instead of just blasting it the way they did the Excelsior class ship, it sucked the life out of the scene.
Gotta say that for some reason, the destruction of the Odyssey was extremely impactful on me. I don't know if it's the angle they used or the perspective of the ship being docked that gave a feeling of enormous size to the ship compared to the space station or what, but when that thing blew up, my jaw dropped.

Back on topic, good to see you back Jack and I hope you will keep beating the drums for stories. Get your hands on a good story and you will find a way to make it work!
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 11:56 AM   #334
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Getting back to...

EDITING: Continuity Editing

TOPIC: EDITING

A while back I posted a message with video on the subject of Structural Editing vs. Relational Editing (link to post), but it occurs to me that I should introduce the topic of basic Continuity Editing first.

Here's a Filmmaker IQ segment which ably illustrates this: Birth of Continuity Editing.

I recommend watching this even if you're not an editor or think you're uninterested in the historical sequence of development of editorial technique. Why? Because it introduces the various kinds of cuts in the order they were born. It also illustrates what I've said before about some filmmaking "rules", i.e. that they're not arbitrary decisions but based on observing how audiences reacted to various techniques.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old February 6 2014, 05:33 AM   #335
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Getting back to...

EDITING: Continuity Editing

TOPIC: EDITING

A while back I posted a message with video on the subject of Structural Editing vs. Relational Editing (link to post), but it occurs to me that I should introduce the topic of basic Continuity Editing first.

Here's a Filmmaker IQ segment which ably illustrates this: Birth of Continuity Editing.

I recommend watching this even if you're not an editor or think you're uninterested in the historical sequence of development of editorial technique. Why? Because it introduces the various kinds of cuts in the order they were born. It also illustrates what I've said before about some filmmaking "rules", i.e. that they're not arbitrary decisions but based on observing how audiences reacted to various techniques.
This is the best video... and likely one that the majority of the big name fan film editors would benefit enormously from studying.
Old February 6 2014, 04:57 PM   #336
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

Some problems with fan productions are easily identified and can be easily improved upon (sound, for just one example). But editing is in my mind the toughest issue to deal with. Good editing requires a high degree of technical skill and it also requires a great feel for a film's pacing and structure. Even if there are no glaring errors such as jump cuts there are subtle mistakes that can distract a viewer even if they're not sure what the problem is.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2014, 11:59 PM   #337
Maurice
Vice Admiral

MikeH92467 wrote: View Post
Some problems with fan productions are easily identified and can be easily improved upon (sound, for just one example). But editing is in my mind the toughest issue to deal with. Good editing requires a high degree of technical skill and it also requires a great feel for a film's pacing and structure. Even if there are no glaring errors such as jump cuts there are subtle mistakes that can distract a viewer even if they're not sure what the problem is.
Editing is an art, it's true. I touched on this in my review of "The Night the Stars Fell From the Sky" (link), where I felt the editing actually hurt the film.

A slim volume I highly recommend to beginning filmmakers is Oscar-winning editor Walter Murch's In The Blink Of An Eye: A Perspective On Film Editing (link to Amazon page for the book), which isn;t a book about the technical act of editing but rather about the art of editing, and approaches to it. As the title suggests, one of his observations is that oftentimes you can tell when to cut because the actors blink before and after a thought. If you watch people in conversation you'll notice that when they're passionate talking they will hardly blink at all, but the moment they complete the thought, blink.

Just for reference, here are excerpts from notes on various Exeter edits I sent to Scott Cummins:

3:40 Around [dialog] there’s too much cutting. I know none of the takes are ideal, but there are just too many jarring angle changes for no apparent reason. I realize that this is because the footage is not ideal, but the edits really draw attention to themselves. As they say in the record biz, if you notice the edit, then it’s not working.

at 08:17 You need to cut off the first 15 frames of this shot of Garrovick and then it will be fine.

at 08:23 You need to cut away from Cutty a few frames earlier because I register his eyes moving the follow Garrovick, who doesn't really move much until the next shot

at 08:31 The cut goes to Garrovick when he's half in the frame. Is there any way to roll-edit this cut to avoid that?

09:44 I'd trim the head of the corridor shot a hair because we only barely see the one crewman as he exits, so we either need to see more of him or none.
—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice; February 7 2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old February 21 2014, 02:18 AM   #338
TayLaLaLa
Fleet Captain

Has an "Elite Force" fan production been done? I don't think I have seen one and loved the games and think it would make an awesome series.
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 02:20 AM   #339
Maurice
Vice Admiral

TayLaLaLa wrote: View Post
Has an "Elite Force" fan production been done? I don't think I have seen one and loved the games and think it would make an awesome series.
Excuse me, what does that have to do with this thread?
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old February 21 2014, 02:25 AM   #340
TayLaLaLa
Fleet Captain

Nothing I suppose. My apologizes but I don't think I can delete my post.
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 02:38 AM   #341
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Nothing I suppose. My apologizes but I don't think I can delete my post.
I'd suggest starting a new thread on this topic in the root directory of Fan Productions, where more people might see it.

You can usually delete posts. It's under EDIT.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old February 23 2014, 09:51 PM   #342
Maurice
Vice Admiral

This has been floating around for a while, but I thought it was worth sharing because while it's nominally about writing it's true of just about any creative pursuit, and especially about that period where your taste exceeds your ability. It's super-short but worth it.

—Glen Larson, 2010
Old February 23 2014, 10:19 PM   #343
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Thanks for that Maurice. I admit I am on my third novel (non-Trek although there are Trekkies in it and one of them creates an artificial life form he names after a Trek character)... and I threw a play in there to try to get the 'keep it short' down. This is going to be the first one I try to sell... the others just weren't good enough. I have done about 30 or 35 rewrites, and I'll probably do 10 more. I've gotten comments from more than 25 people, and every one of them was useful. They helped me get out of my own head.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 09:42 PM   #344
Maurice
Vice Admiral

10 Tips For Kids Who Want to Be Filmmakers! : FRIDAY 101

While this is supposedly aimed at "kids" who want to be filmmakers, what he says is good advice for any beginner.

—Glen Larson, 2010