Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old December 19 2012, 03:02 PM   #46
Darkwing
Commodore

Re: Timo's Hobbyist's Guide to the UFP Starfleet

Aridas, mea culpa. I thought I recalled the list from Starfleet Design matching up to Jane's.
Old January 17 2014, 07:35 PM   #47
Revanche
Ensign

Wow...just jumped ahead and read the Lynx entry. Excellent job making my head hurt by making timetravel incomprehensible to the outside observer. That, cloaked with the subterfuge of the project, really made that the one entry difficult to understand. You (the reader) come out feeling as what little you read was more than to which you should have been exposed.

Edit: that was a compliment, by-the-way, as I'm sure obfuscation was the intention.

Last edited by Revanche; January 17 2014 at 08:35 PM.
Revanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 06:21 AM   #48
thesonofodin
Ensign

Timo, do you have any updates for the guide?
thesonofodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 09:28 AM   #49
Timo
Admiral

Sorry for the absence... More recent versions now uploaded. Some reshuffling in Part I, and some rough artwork to better visualize the ideas.

Basically, I'm done inserting all the FASA stuff, and fairly happy with most of the eras now that there is very little new material coming in. The parallel universe in the new movies isn't really the subject of this Guide, but I'm including the small craft anyway, and taking a few liberties with the ships. Yeah, the older ones should be common to both universes, but I'm still keeping them at TOS size for the time being; the new ones already have their parallels in the regular timeline, mainly in the form of humungous "command cruisers" and "battleships" from computer games.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 06:44 PM   #50
thesonofodin
Ensign

Timo, can you post a link for the update?
thesonofodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 07:15 PM   #51
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Seconded...
Old March 20 2014, 08:42 PM   #52
Shik
Commander

Timo wrote: View Post
Sorry for the absence... More recent versions now uploaded. Some reshuffling in Part I, and some rough artwork to better visualize the ideas.

Basically, I'm done inserting all the FASA stuff, and fairly happy with most of the eras now that there is very little new material coming in. The parallel universe in the new movies isn't really the subject of this Guide, but I'm including the small craft anyway, and taking a few liberties with the ships. Yeah, the older ones should be common to both universes, but I'm still keeping them at TOS size for the time being; the new ones already have their parallels in the regular timeline, mainly in the form of humungous "command cruisers" and "battleships" from computer games.

Timo Saloniemi
DAMMIT! And I JUST deleted them off my tablet. ALRIGHT...is it the same Drive link, then?
Old March 20 2014, 09:39 PM   #53
Timo
Admiral

Yup, the link from page two of this thread still takes you to the Drive account.

Oh, and thanks for the semi-backhanded compliment, Revanche! I think the guide could use more weirdness overall...

Timo Saloniemi
Old March 22 2014, 02:34 AM   #54
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

"...Texas and Greenpeace submarines..."?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 05:37 PM   #55
Timo
Admiral

...Not everything in there is directly lifted from canon, novel or RPG sources. The Kermit and her exploits definitely derive from elsewhere.

Timo Saloniemi
Old March 22 2014, 09:07 PM   #56
Mytran
Fleet Captain

There's updates to this work? Dammit, it took me ages to read the earlier version, where am I going to find the time to do it again? In any case, this a very well constructed history of the future.

Glad to have you around again Timo, you have been very conspicuous by your absence.
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 04:06 AM   #57
Shik
Commander

Timo wrote: View Post
...Not everything in there is directly lifted from canon, novel or RPG sources. The Kermit and her exploits definitely derive from elsewhere.

Timo Saloniemi
And STILL no mention of the UEO!
Old August 6 2014, 11:35 PM   #58
Revanche
Ensign

Now I've got a real First World problem here: I've been developing my own wiki around the Guide, so I can run a Fleet-level campaign around the events Timo fleshes out so well. When I saw his last update in 2012, I wiped what had been built before and started over, vowing to stick with that last update, just so that I could include all the new material and then move forward. (I've past editions saved on my harddrive, going back to when I first found them in 2003 and they were in Word format.)

Now...I really don't want to wipe and start over. What to do, what to do...?

What would be most awesome is if there was a wikia built just for Timo, allowing him one central place to make his updates and allowing his supporters to maybe commission artwork to fill in all those blank image scenes. I'd be glad to help out as a wiki admin and copy-editor. I just don't have the wiki coding skills to make it pop.

The Guide really needs to be seen. I can't speak highly enough about it.
Old August 7 2014, 10:21 AM   #59
Timo
Admiral

Aargh... This makes me feel I should actually do something about the Guide. And also that I should not, because apparently I'm driving people crazy.

Well, there's another update there, behind the good old Google Drive link. I'll try to recall what I have tinkered with:

Some ENT era stuff has been redone; I've gone through YouTube grabs of the ST:Legacy game to get a good look at the ships introduced there, and rewritten the Daedalus to match the game and the ENT era novels. My version of the Battle of Cheron tries to eat the cake, have it, and grab some other people's cakes, too.

The unseen Placido from Spaceflight Chronology is integrated into the overall story a bit better, and even begets a FASA/SFC successor, affecting the Trent entry.

Having fallen in love with John Bryne's comic art, I've included all his ships seen so far, blending some with Last Unicorn Games unseen or unused designs or histories; the Sentinel entry is affected, but see also Bryne (and his comics!).

I've added Masao's Capella, as used in Christopher's DTI novel, with the usual liberties taken. The design sort of forms a continuum with SFC's old Hale of similar dimensions. This entry was written before Masao did his recent update and finalizing of the relevant Starfleet Museum entry, and only slightly polished after the fact, but I loved the opportunity to use a registry scheme from the earlier version of that ship...

Some further unseen classes are name-dropped here and there. Part II is affected the most, with ENT Vulcan ships gaining names from RPGs or computer games, plus fuller descriptions.

A few more pics, with captions altered to turn them from placeholders to "actual" images - but the artwork often is by people I've not contacted for permission, and not really meant to go public. The images either nicely indicate what I was thinking about when writing an entry, or are the direct inspiration for that entry (Rob Caswell's art relating to the Archer class meets both criteria, really).

Save for Part III, this is more or less done now, pending further movie developments. I really like the new shuttles from ST:ID, and how they seem to relegate the more varied designs from the previous movie into "special" status rather than alt-timeline counterparts of the TOS shuttle. Then again, this is utterly an alt-timeline design, without evident roots in the original timeline, so perhaps I won't be able to include it after all. Other small craft are also waiting for proper treatment.

(Oh, and I'd like to include the Canopus class from SFC, also mentioned in FASA's Four Years War. She's a big vessel, the size of a Constitution, so where do I hide her? Supposedly in the Sagittarius Arm, which she was designed to explore, but why did Starfleet build something like that when the 4YW was their chief concern? That's the one unfinished entry in Part I.)

Timo Saloniemi
Old August 8 2014, 10:56 PM   #60
Revanche
Ensign

> And also that I should not, because apparently I'm driving people crazy.

A 'good' crazy, I assure you. No one ever complains sincerely of too much good sci-fi to read.

I just really wish we could present this in a format where it would get more attention. I shared this with a Kiwi friend of mine 2 days ago and he was simply floored with how much information there was and apparently is now reading it on his mobile.

Ass for updates, if you were to keep a change log, as you've provided in a rough fashion with your last post, that would go a long way in helping me with my personal project. And it would allows others who re-find this to go back and re-read the changes.

Seriously, Timo: you've put a lot more effort into this than Masao has his (not at all to denigrate what he has accomplished), but it is a different medium. If your fans with varying (and complementary) skills were to identify themselves, would you be willing to open this to assistance? Find a way to put it on it's own site?