New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old February 3 2014, 04:59 PM   #31
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Is Avery Brooks a good actor?

I think his acting would be great live on stage, but sometimes I think he forgot that there was a camera right in front of his face.
Old February 3 2014, 05:17 PM   #32
JD5000
Commander

I've never been a professional television actor, but I get the impression that forgetting about the camera is impossible.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 05:50 PM   #33
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

mickmike wrote: View Post
I think Avery stood out most in his scenes with Jake and Kasidy. Those scenes always felt really natural and Avery had amazing chemistry with both Cirroc Lofton and Penny Johnson.

I also liked the way Avery handled scenes were Sisko had to discipline the crew. The scene in 'Sons of Mogh' where Sisko tears strips off of Worf and Dax was pretty awesome.
I enjoyed that Kirk, Sisko, and Archer weren't afraid to be asses at times. Janeway comes off as psycho though ,and the only time Picard was an ass was about kids.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 08:43 PM   #34
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Yes.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 03:09 PM   #35
bbailey861
Admiral

Over the breadth of his career, I cannot say. As Sisko - certainly.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 05:21 PM   #36
M
Vice Admiral

Personally, I think Brooks is brilliant as Sisko, genius even. I never felt his performance was too theatric. I always loved to see and listen to him. I must confess, however, that I'm somewhat weirded out by the way he behaves off camera.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 05:41 PM   #37
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

I'm curious...what is it with all the "Brooks is insane/weird/eccentric" stuff?

What exactly did he do? Are we talking about Charlie Sheen, Tom Cruise, or Joaquin Phoenix levels of weirdness here?
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 05:45 PM   #38
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

^He sound random in his interview with Shatner. To me, he soundedb like a jazz musician.
Bad Thoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 05:56 PM   #39
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post
I'm curious...what is it with all the "Brooks is insane/weird/eccentric" stuff?

What exactly did he do? Are we talking about Charlie Sheen, Tom Cruise, or Joaquin Phoenix levels of weirdness here?
On a personal note, I met/saw/took pictures/listened to him at the ST Vegas Con in 2010.

It was a revealing experience for me as I know can see where those "querks" come from.

Of the discriptors you listed, I think eccentric applies to Arvery more accurately than the others.

I was listening to him on stage answering questions from the fans and I say thinking to myself... "I have no idea what this guy just said/means"

You can also get a good feel for Avery in Shatner's "The Captains".

The guy is "out there".

In my opinion, he's a much better musician than actor.

I kept rooting for him watch DS9. I complelety supported Star Trek having a "black captain". I thought it was appropriate and the franchise needed to go there. (Same with Janeway). But my thoughts were always "why didn't they chose someone that could act?"

As I said before, the plethora of great supporting actors helped him immensely. Being the CO of a Space Station rather than a Star Ship where stories could be centered on other characters and situations "hid" is limitations as an actor.
Old February 4 2014, 06:08 PM   #40
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

^^

As I said before, everything in the pilot doesn't tie well together...but on the other hand, he was hit with a shitload to do in that show.

Be Sisko three years ago. Lose your wife. Be a father, a commander, told you're some kind of Emmisary, discover the wormhole, talk to non-linear* aliens....etc...etc..

*That bit about "You're not as linear as you think Sisko" is still moving.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 06:11 PM   #41
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
^^

As I said before, everything in the pilot doesn't tie well together...but on the other hand, he was hit with a shitload to do in that show.

Be Sisko three years ago. Lose your wife. Be a father, a commander, told you're some kind of Emmisary, discover the wormhole, talk to non-linear* aliens....etc...etc..

*That bit about "You're not as linear as you think Sisko" is still moving.
So you are justifying subpar acting with great writing?

I'm not saying I hated him, far from it. But this thread is about his acting, not about feelings etc.
Old February 4 2014, 08:05 PM   #42
JD5000
Commander

Dale Sams wrote:
No actor springs immediately to mind that could easily handle all the roles given to Sisko. No denying that he is a very multi-faceted character with multiple motivations. He's thrust into a unique situation that none of us have full experience with - his actions and reactions should be confusing at times.
Old February 4 2014, 08:31 PM   #43
dub
Fleet Captain

Yanks wrote: View Post
You can also get a good feel for Avery in Shatner's "The Captains".
I think the "The Captains Close Up" paints a much more coherent picture of Brooks. At least that's how it came off to me. I think the first version was edited to make him look like a crazy man. I mean, he's still a unique guy with an interesting way of saying things, no matter how you slice it. But I think "Close Up" is the better version.

Yanks wrote: View Post
I kept rooting for him watch DS9. I complelety supported Star Trek having a "black captain". I thought it was appropriate and the franchise needed to go there. (Same with Janeway). But my thoughts were always "why didn't they chose someone that could act?"
I think he was a little stiff in the beginning, but I think much of the cast was as well. As the series grew, so did the cast. And they were able to find their chemistry. Strangely, I really feel when he shaved his head he loosened up quite a bit and really found Sisko. The hair added to his stiffness! He also seems to be better when he's in scenes with better actors. Unless he's being extremely emotional, then it seems Brooks can erase all of his surroundings and just be overwhelmed by whatever emotion is in the script. To me, he's one of the actors who got better as the show got better, and became superb when the show was superb.

Few of the actors were consistently good. Colm Meaney was, though his character was somewhat established. Andrew Robinson nailed it from the beginning. Marc Alaimo and Louise Fletcher were delicious villains from the beginning. I felt Rene Auberjonois and Armin Shimerman both got better as their makeup improved. I think Nana Visitor was better as she toned down her anger, but in her defense that was a character development. The improved uniforms seemed to help as well, oddly enough.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 08:46 PM   #44
trekker670
Fleet Captain

I think there are two very distinct sides to Avery Brooks.

The side of Mr. Brooks that appears when he's on the job (acting, producing, teaching, etc.) is very professional and "normal." This is the side we see when he's playing the role of Sisko, when he's performing his duties as musical consultant in "The Captain's" documentary, and in a lot of the "official" interviews seen on the DVD sets.

Then there's the side of Mr. Brooks that we see in "The Captain's" documentary and at conventions. He's very much a free thinker and "eccentric" to a point where, IMO, it's uncomfortable to watch (breaking into song mid-sentence, making everything an issue related to racial injustice, etc.). I've heard this side be attributed to his being intoxicated, but I wouldn't put too much credit into it.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 08:59 PM   #45
JD5000
Commander

I'm no cop, but he never seemed drunk to me in the interviews I've seen. Just 'eccentric'. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he smokes a little herb here and there, but neither takes away from his natural personality. People are MORE like their 'true selves' with a little chemical influence.

And well said dub and 670, I agree with all your thoughts and I think you both provided very well-written and well-thought out views.