Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 3 2014, 03:01 PM   #226
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

Well there's only one thing that could make him looked this pained....

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 04:00 PM   #227
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Yeah, and the bit with her dangling in that place with all the gears. If they do I'm a bit disappointed that MJ isn't in this film because I really love the bit in the comics where MJ stays to comfort him.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 08:51 PM   #228
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
Yeah, and the bit with her dangling in that place with all the gears. If they do I'm a bit disappointed that MJ isn't in this film because I really love the bit in the comics where MJ stays to comfort him.
I'm glad they cut MJ out of the film. The film already looks crowded and the addition of MJ probably would have been too much.

Besides, MJ always felt tacked on after Gwen's death. Peter needs the proper amount of time to grieve and move on. I feel like having MJ come to Peter at the end of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (providing that Gwen... you know) would be gimmicky.

I think the proper thing to would (which looks like they are doing) is saving MJ for the third film. I think that would make more sense. Give Peter time to grieve and MJ could periodically help console him throughout the movie. I think that makes much more sense.

As for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 itself, the movie keeps on looking better and better with each new trailer. I'm still skeptical since I wasn't a big fan of the first movie, but I am cautiously optimistic. The movie keeps on looking better, so we'll see.
Old February 3 2014, 10:25 PM   #229
Christopher
Writer

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Besides, MJ always felt tacked on after Gwen's death. Peter needs the proper amount of time to grieve and move on. I feel like having MJ come to Peter at the end of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (providing that Gwen... you know) would be gimmicky.
I don't know about the movie, but I think it worked fine in the comics. I don't see any way in which MJ was "tacked on," considering that she was introduced in the comics half a year before Gwen was (though Peter didn't properly meet her until 11 issues after he met Gwen). Both women were part of Peter's life, and each other's, for pretty much the entire time that Peter and Gwen were involved, and they had kind of a friendly romantic rivalry for Peter's affections, a la Betty and Veronica.

And Gwen's death is an integral part of MJ's evolution as a character. Before then, she'd always been the carefree party girl, pulling away from anything serious or heavy or meaningful. But when Gwen died and Peter angrily told MJ off for being shallow and unfeeling, her decision to stay and comfort him in his grief was a pivotal moment of growth for her, and a powerful statement of how much Peter and Gwen both meant to her. And it wasn't about her becoming the rebound babe, it was about her being there for someone who needed her friendship and support, probably the first time in her life that she'd found the strength to do that. There was nothing tacked on about it, because it wasn't just for Peter's benefit. It was the defining moment for the MJ we know today.

Granted, it'd be hard to make that work in a movie, because it's predicated on Peter, Gwen, and MJ having that established history together. It could've fit in if the movie weren't doing so much else and had been free to focus more heavily on the romantic angle and relationship-building, but I guess that's not in the cards for a mega-budget 3D tentpole action blockbuster these days.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 11:40 PM   #230
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

I really hope they don't kill off Gwen. I love MJ and she'll always be Spidey's girl to me, but Emma Stone's Gwen has been great and she deserves more time.

That said, this movie is really looking good; I checked out the first ASM on a whim and really enjoyed it so I'm looking forward to this.
Old February 4 2014, 06:32 AM   #231
JD
Admiral

The more I see from this the better it looks. I really enjoyed the first one, so I was already looking forward to this, but these trailers just keep making me more and more excited for it. Based off the trailers for this, Winter Soldier, and the first one for Days of Futures Past it looks like we might be in for another great year for superhero movies.
Old February 25 2014, 02:51 AM   #232
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

for some reason they released another trailer even though there was a huge one around the Super Bowl

I know women aren't supposed to be portrayed as having a lot of physical strength but I think Gwen will be able to pull her hand from that web.

But, overall, I'm just not excited. Looks very ordinary despite all the SFX.
Old February 25 2014, 03:07 AM   #233
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Some of the VFX look absolutely terrible ... specifically the shot of Peter and Gwen falling into the clock tower thingy. Hopefully this doesn't represent "the final cut" as it were.
Old February 25 2014, 03:19 AM   #234
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I'm actually warming up to the film. The latest trailer (which I think includes Hans Zimmer's Spider-Man theme in the first 20 seconds) actually goes a long way in building my anticipation and excitement.
Old February 25 2014, 04:47 AM   #235
Christopher
Writer

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I know women aren't supposed to be portrayed as having a lot of physical strength but I think Gwen will be able to pull her hand from that web.
Gender has nothing to do with it. Even just in the movie continuity, those flimsy strands are strong enough to support Spidey's weight through multi-story swings, to catch and hold cars falling off of bridges, etc. That means it would take tons of force to tear or break them. Even Captain America would be stuck there for an hour until the webbing dissolves. (Except, well, he could probably cut the strands with the edge of his shield, or something.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 09:52 PM   #236
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Pretty cool interview with Marc Webb where he talks about the issue of using a lot of villains in one film and his initial reservations about making the first film.

One of the more interesting things is about Rhino...it's not marked as a spoiler in the interview but I'll put it in spoiler code here.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 09:53 AM   #237
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Apparently there will be another trailer for this film (yet another excise to pound us into submission with a lot of useless yet colorful CGI). I've never seen a film with o many trailers.. Never seen such an empty looking movie being pounded into the brains of its target audience more than this one.
Old March 16 2014, 10:45 PM   #238
Dream
Admiral

Marc Webb Not Directing The Amazing Spider-Man 4
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 10:49 PM   #239
JD
Admiral

Not to surprised, very few directors who didn't create a franchise seem to direct more than 3 movies in a series.
Old March 16 2014, 11:16 PM   #240
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

As long as Sony doesn't feel the need to reboot after the third one this time.

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote