New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old February 2 2014, 07:49 PM   #16
Dale Sams
Captain

Re: Is Avery Brooks a good actor?

Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
JD5000 wrote: View Post
Bad Thoughts wrote:
I might be interested in an episode in which Nog could not stop mourning the loss of his father, it would have a different poignancy.
I'm not sure I could take it. Nog is pretty whiny when he wants to be.
Nog-centric stories often involve self-pity, though to be fair, The Visitor has its share as well. And I would not suggest that such an episode would be on par with The Visitor: it would more likely resemble It's Only A Paper Moon. Nonetheless, I think that it would succeed better than a Wesley-centered The Visitor, even if a better actor were cast as the grown-up Wesley. DS9 invested in family relationships, and it paid off in The Visitor, even if the primary actors, Sisko and Lofton, did not appear as much in the episode as other characters. Indeed, I wasn't nearly as touched by Beverly's disappointed that Wesley was dropping out as I was by Sisko being disappointed that Jake gave up writing. I didn't care about the former relationship.
Poor Wesley was doomed from day one. Instead of being cowed by Picard in the first ep, they should have had him say "Don't have a cow man"....or...the equivalent . Without being bratty, but just letting Picard know that he's overreacting.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 10:33 PM   #17
Ro_Laren
Commodore

I always thought that Avery was a good actor. He gave my third favorite performance as Trek Captain. I always ranked the Trek Captain actors's performance as the following (from best to worst): Patrick Stewart, Kate Mulgrew, Avery Brooks, William Shatner, Scott Bakula.
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 11:52 PM   #18
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Plomeek Broth wrote: View Post
I have seen DS9 in it's entirety but wanted to get a feel of what other Niners think.

Good actors abound on this show with Shimmerman, Robinson, Alaimo, Aberjunois (I know I misspelled it), etc. Kai Winn too.

It's my favorite show but not my favorite captain.

It always seemed to me like he delivered his lines in a very heavy handed, hammed up, over the top way. You get used to it after awhile but it can be jarring if you haven't seen it in awhile.

Do you find Brooks hit it out of the park with his acting chops or left something to be desired?

Just wanted to see if I'm in the minority on this one or there are others who felt the same way.
Avery suffered from not being able to show emotion/feelings very well.

He's not the greatest actor.

Had he been the Captain of a ship, where most all the stories centered around him, that series wouldn't have lasted.

Plays a good bad ass though.
Old February 2 2014, 11:55 PM   #19
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Plomeek Broth wrote: View Post
Is Avery Brooks a good actor?
Yes.
Old February 3 2014, 12:08 AM   #20
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

He's good, he's solid but there are many actors who are just better, Susanna Thompson LeVar Burton, Meaney, Nichols, Christopher Lloyd, Gary Graham, Rick Worthy, Jeffrey Combs, Patrick Stewart.....Brooks is good but there are others who have been GREAT
TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 12:27 AM   #21
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

He had an idiosyncratic acting style to be sure, but I never felt he was lacking in presence or authority...unlike some hero captains (*cough*Bakula*cough*).
Old February 3 2014, 12:44 AM   #22
Bad Atom
Commodore

View Bad Atom's Twitter Profile

Brooks is a polarizing actor, to be sure. I attribute the eccentricities in his acting to three things:

One is the fact that he played such a complex, multifaceted character. There were a lot of different sides to Sisko (leader, father, religious icon) and he brought something different to all of them while still staying true to the character. That's a tricky balance to pull off and not come off as bipolar - a criticism often leveled at Kate Mulgrew. I think he succeeded for the most part. I'd also add that Brooks benefited from good, consistent writing for the character.

The second is that he was first and foremost a stage actor, and even after seven years that heightened sense of theatricality remained. (Patrick Stewart was also guilty of this, to a smaller degree.) I've directed stage actors in film projects and it takes a lot of work to bring them down to the level of intimacy required for TV acting. There were definitely moments where Brooks needed to be reined in more.

Third is his real-life eccentric nature. In interviews, he comes across as extremely intelligent but more than a bit "out there". It's a testament to his acting (and the writing and directing) that the character comes off as real and grounded.
Bad Atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 05:04 AM   #23
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I love Avery's acting. What a bland world we would live in if every actor had the same style.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 05:40 AM   #24
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

"YOU BETRAYED YOUR UNIFORM!!!!!" I love it!

Brooks is over the top, but I wouldn't call that bad acting. As others have said, if he had played it bland, the show would not have been as entertaining.

My favorite Sisko moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZlBETlT1yo
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 05:43 AM   #25
Lance
Fleet Captain

I always like how (for want of a better word) 'raw' Avery's performance felt to me. I always liked the way Sisko felt like a man whose issues were always there, somewhere under the surface, and he was always masking them with a joie de vivre. I believe in this man, a single father still never quite dealing with the trauma of losing Jennifer the way that he did. He could accept that Picard had no personal part in that, but the situation still played tragically on his mind. I liked that it was a wound that never quite healed as time went on, either. He felt to me sometimes like the most 'real' of all the Star Trek captains. Relatable. We were not simply seeing an efficient officer of duty, as we did with many of the other captains. In Bejamin Sisko we were seeing the man beneath the uniform. Something of a tortured soul, looking for a purpose.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 06:28 AM   #26
JD5000
Commander

I think 'raw' is a great choice of adjective, even though Mr. Brooks is an experienced actor. Occasionally, I think he might even humble Sir Patrick. But **** it, it worked. DS9 is a totally enjoyable series,and Sisko/Avery's quirks only add to it. Avery makes Scott Bakula wonder if he Shat his pants, or if that's just the smell of his own failure.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 07:16 AM   #27
JesdenScott
Ensign

Wow, you guys are real hard on Bakula, poor guy I loved Enterprise personally.

But DS9? That's what really hooked me into Star Trek universe completely. Sure, TNG was great, but DS9 sold me. Absolutely loved it.

As for the topic, I think Brooks is definitely an odd guy in real life and his acting is certainly unconventional when compared to the other captains. However, as noted above, I think this just makes him a more interesting person to watch. I certainly had a similar impression when watching him that there was always something beneath the surface for his character, waiting for it to erupt at any moment. A controlled crazy.
JesdenScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 08:24 AM   #28
mickmike
Lieutenant Commander

I think Avery stood out most in his scenes with Jake and Kasidy. Those scenes always felt really natural and Avery had amazing chemistry with both Cirroc Lofton and Penny Johnson.

I also liked the way Avery handled scenes were Sisko had to discipline the crew. The scene in 'Sons of Mogh' where Sisko tears strips off of Worf and Dax was pretty awesome.
mickmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 09:00 AM   #29
cal_nevari
Lieutenant Commander

I liked him on DS9, and he did some narration work I liked, and I vaguely remember I liked him in Spenser For Hire as Hawk.
cal_nevari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 03:52 PM   #30
mendelin
Lieutenant Commander

View mendelin's Twitter Profile

DS9 differs from Roddenberry's TOS&TNG. DS9 is more realistic and more complex.
Captain Sisko must have been a complex and multifaceted character. Brooks is quite odd to perfectly represent Sisko.
mendelin is offline   Reply With Quote