Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old February 1 2014, 11:03 AM   #16
Shat Happens
Commander

Re: TWOK uniforms : original badge design

I'd like to see that page. What is "ANOVOS"?
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 01:00 PM   #17
urbandefault
Captain

Shat Happens wrote: View Post
I'd like to see that page. What is "ANOVOS"?
http://www.anovos.com/

Licensed replica uniforms and doodads.
Old February 1 2014, 01:10 PM   #18
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

dub wrote: View Post
This is all new to me! Is there an image of what the TWOK badge actually looks like without the Starfleet insignia on top?
Yep. When It's a Wrap! was auctioning insignias, there were a few that had fallen apart. And there is a still of someone's (in ST VI - Kirk's?), where it has been reassembled upside down in a few sequences (the dot is on the lower left, not upper right.

The one that David Marcus wears in ST III was revealed in It's a Wrap! pics as a different-but-similar citizen's version without the Starfleet insignia.

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
Was this ever documented anywhere? like a fanzine tech manual? I don't remember this detail...
Nope.

It took a while for definitive info on all the rank insignias for ST II-VI to filter out, too. I recall ordering a set of resin insignias from Intergalactic Trading Post or Star Tech in January 1984 and the card they came fastened to was labelled. Until then, it was all guesswork, from ranks identifed onscreen by dialog.

The trapezoidal "chief" epaulette badges worn by Rand in TMP were wrongly identified by several mail order catalogs as being for the back of the flaps in the ST II uniforms, as were some round UFP badges - but, of course, it is possible they were both used as "security doodads" if there were so many variations in use.

Last edited by Therin of Andor; February 1 2014 at 01:23 PM.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 07:29 AM   #19
TheWelshPirate
Lieutenant Junior Grade

drt wrote: View Post
I think the costume dept dreamed it up, then never told anyone.
I think that is probably the case. In TWoK, David wanders on to the bridge as easy as you please in the middle of a battle situation. So unless somebody handed him an all-access security device to pin on his preppy sweater-scarf, my guess is that the writers and/or directors either didn't know about that little tidbit or decided that it just wasn't worth caring about.
TheWelshPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 08:08 AM   #20
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

TheWelshPirate wrote: View Post
So unless somebody handed him an all-access security device to pin on his preppy sweater-scarf...
No, David's pin is on the jacket he wears in ST III, when he was on an official exploration mission with Saavik.

Found it in my files!:

Marcus' citizen research pin by Therin of Andor, on Flickr.
Top: assorted Starfleet pins. Centre and below: Citizen research pin worn by Dr David Marcus in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.

From the "It's a Wrap!" auction listings: "A metal badge appearing on researcher costumes in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, specifically on the costume of 'Dr. David Marcus' (Merritt Butrick). The item is pin backed, molded from gold colored metal with a slight curve. Its raised features include three hashes, four dots, and an off side rectangular feature. The hashes are meant to appear on the left side. The non raised portion is painted red. One dot and one hash are painted green. The items were never explained and could indicate rank, division, diploma, discipline or anything else. The item measures approx. 2.75 X 0.75 inches."

my guess is that the writers and/or directors either didn't know about that little tidbit or decided that it just wasn't worth caring about.
The writers wouldn't be caring about pins. That's a job for Wardrobe, in consultation with the director's underlings and the costume designer.

One of the pins sold by the old catalogs as supposedly being for the back of the strap "security" pin is depicted in the separate image at the top of the combined Marcus graphics. It was worn by the character Samno in ST VI, and is depicted with his name badges.

Last edited by Therin of Andor; February 3 2014 at 08:44 AM. Reason: added pics
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote