TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old February 3 2014, 12:35 AM   #736
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

I never warmed up to Ainley's Master, to be honest... he was as one-dimensional as they come, and half the time he'd be disguished as some other character for no good reason other than the "twist" factor, and half the other time he'd be giggling endlessly. Rarely he'd be imposing a figure - chiefly, in his debut story and, IMO, in Ultimate Foe, for instance.

On-screen, I think only Delgado is really worth the part, because he was the only one that I thought could stand on his own against the Doctor, and on his own terms, too.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 12:58 AM   #737
Lonemagpie
Writer

The Seeds Of Doom and Nightmare Of Eden, being my most recent trade-ups to DVD.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 01:27 AM   #738
diankra
Commodore

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
I never warmed up to Ainley's Master, to be honest... he was as one-dimensional as they come, and half the time he'd be disguished as some other character for no good reason other than the "twist" factor, and half the other time he'd be giggling endlessly. Rarely he'd be imposing a figure - chiefly, in his debut story and, IMO, in Ultimate Foe, for instance.

On-screen, I think only Delgado is really worth the part, because he was the only one that I thought could stand on his own against the Doctor, and on his own terms, too.
Ant A wanted to play it more subtly, more like Logopolis and Ultimate Foe, but when he did the directors tended to ask for a more cackly take two.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 01:34 AM   #739
Count Zero
Decidedly something

davejames wrote: View Post
Just watched The Chase for the first time and thought it was a lot of fun. Obviously there wasn't much of a plot, with the Daleks simply chasing the TARDIS around from place to place, but it was still cool seeing them pop in and out of so many different environments so quickly. In fact it almost had the feel of a New Series story in that way.
I liked that one a lot as well. The scenes of the Doctor grooving along to the Beatles playing on his super-TV and the TARDIS landing on the Mary Celeste (I like those throw-away explanations of mysteries the show sometimes throws at you) and on the Empire State Building are scenes that kinda stuck with me.
I also like the ending of Ian and barbara finally making it home. I always wondered how they explained their two years long absence later on, though.
Old February 3 2014, 01:57 AM   #740
DWF
Vice Admiral

Count Zero wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
Just watched The Chase for the first time and thought it was a lot of fun. Obviously there wasn't much of a plot, with the Daleks simply chasing the TARDIS around from place to place, but it was still cool seeing them pop in and out of so many different environments so quickly. In fact it almost had the feel of a New Series story in that way.
I liked that one a lot as well. The scenes of the Doctor grooving along to the Beatles playing on his super-TV and the TARDIS landing on the Mary Celeste (I like those throw-away explanations of mysteries the show sometimes throws at you) and on the Empire State Building are scenes that kinda stuck with me.
I also like the ending of Ian and barbara finally making it home. I always wondered how they explained their two years long absence later on, though.
The Chase was the first story to have a future companion playing a different part and of course Peter Pruves would play Steven later on. The Chase was supposed to be the template for the third theater movie and much of the plot was redone in The Dalek Masterplan.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 02:50 AM   #741
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Yeah, when I watched (and read) The Daleks' Masterplan later (I'm watching the old show in airing order) I remember thinking that they were recycling themselves a bit. On the other hand, Masterplan had enough differing story features that it didn't matter to me. It's a shame so much of it is lost and unlikely to be recovered as it's a great story.
Old February 3 2014, 08:27 AM   #742
davejames
Vice Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
The Chase was the first story to have a future companion playing a different part and of course Peter Pruves would play Steven later on. The Chase was supposed to be the template for the third theater movie and much of the plot was redone in The Dalek Masterplan.
Yeah I've heard that. Kind of a shame they never got to make it, because a big budget, color version of The Chase probably would have been awesome to see.

It certainly would have had more potential for fun than the two dreary Dalek movies they did make (even though I'm sure they still would have found a way to over-simplify and dumb things down).
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 08:41 AM   #743
Flibble
Fleet Captain

The Moonbase and The Tenth Planet.
Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 10:46 AM   #744
Starkers
Admiral

Can you imagine the bitching if RTD or Moffat had done Daleks vs Dracula?
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 04:12 PM   #745
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain

I just finished watching "The Spearhead From Space" and was pleasantly surprised at how good the introduction to The Third Doctor was.
Old February 4 2014, 04:31 AM   #746
kirk55555
Commodore

I just watched The Brain of Morbius. It was pretty good, and it was interesting to see the Sisterhood of Karn, which I first saw in the Night of the Doctor minisode. The Morbius body was goofy, but it didn't ruin the episode. I knew about the faces in the screen thing before hand, and whatever the intention of the people making the episode at the time, it makes more sense to me for those faces to be Morbius's older forms. Overall, I liked this serial. Next is The Seeds of Doom.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 05:04 AM   #747
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I just watched The Brain of Morbius. It was pretty good, and it was interesting to see the Sisterhood of Karn, which I first saw in the Night of the Doctor minisode. The Morbius body was goofy, but it didn't ruin the episode. I knew about the faces in the screen thing before hand, and whatever the intention of the people making the episode at the time, it makes more sense to me for those faces to be Morbius's older forms. Overall, I liked this serial. Next is The Seeds of Doom.
Seeds of Doom was my first Serial, where I paid active attention. Prior to that, I made fun of brother for watching it, and I only watched it out of the corner of my eye, no more than 15% of the time the episodes were on a TV I was near. With Seeds of Doom, I had finally elected to give it a real daily commitment chance as each episode aired. It was often pretty campy, but, I enjoyed and accepted each Serial after more and more.

Seeds of Doom, is a great Serial (Once you accept the premise) because it has alot of stuff happening, and the plot advances to different places over the 6 episodes, it doesn't just run up and down corridors and escape and be captured every episode, the plot and location changes and advances throughout

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2014, 06:59 AM   #748
kirk55555
Commodore

I just watched Tomb of the Cybermen. I liked the 2nd Doctor in The Three Doctors and The Five Doctors, so I decided to check out one of his stories (and this was the earliest complete one, and seems generally well received). I liked it, even if it had one or two problems. It was a bit annoying that they ended up giving the evil humans the upper hand twice by randomly putting weapons down next to the bad guy's "unconscious" bodies. Still, The Doctor and his companions are interesting, and I definitely want to check more of his stuff out. Next I'm planning to watch the 4th Doctor's Seeds of Doom, then I might try the 2nd Doctor's The Abominable Snowmen to see if stories that are mostly reconstructions are something that I'd find watchable.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2014, 01:42 PM   #749
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Seeds of Doom is creepy. You'll never look at ordinary plants the same way again.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2014, 02:29 PM   #750
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I just watched Tomb of the Cybermen. I liked the 2nd Doctor in The Three Doctors and The Five Doctors, so I decided to check out one of his stories (and this was the earliest complete one, and seems generally well received). I liked it, even if it had one or two problems. It was a bit annoying that they ended up giving the evil humans the upper hand twice by randomly putting weapons down next to the bad guy's "unconscious" bodies. Still, The Doctor and his companions are interesting, and I definitely want to check more of his stuff out. Next I'm planning to watch the 4th Doctor's Seeds of Doom, then I might try the 2nd Doctor's The Abominable Snowmen to see if stories that are mostly reconstructions are something that I'd find watchable.
The Moonbase (The Cyberman Serial prior to Tomb of the Cybermen) has 2 complete episodes, and someone on Youtube took the Telesnaps for the two missing episodes and animated them, so, it's very watchable, IMHO, and better than just a Reconstruction.

Episode 1 (Talking Animated)
Episode 3 (Talking Animated)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote