Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 2 2014, 12:27 AM   #31
Christopher
Writer

Re: I hate her so much I skip pages with her on it.

You know, I think T'Ryssa would be perversely pleased to know that some people can't stand her. A lot of her behavior, at least in her pre-Enterprise days, has been consciously calculated for shock value, particularly toward Vulcans or others who made assumptions about how she should behave based on her appearance. The way she acts is a statement about her refusal to be judged by other people's standards and expectations and likes and dislikes.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 01:44 AM   #32
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Christopher wrote: View Post
You know, I think T'Ryssa would be perversely pleased to know that some people can't stand her. A lot of her behavior, at least in her pre-Enterprise days, has been consciously calculated for shock value, particularly toward Vulcans or others who made assumptions about how she should behave based on her appearance. The way she acts is a statement about her refusal to be judged by other people's standards and expectations and likes and dislikes.
Says the guy who created her.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 10:27 AM   #33
Mage
Commodore

-Brett- wrote: View Post
I kinda liked the notion that in the enlightened, tolerant, "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations" 24th century, more than one personality type can exist.

If the Treklit writers are feeling ambitious, maybe one day they can add a third personality type. That's probably going a little too far for most Trekkies though.
Competely agreed.

I love Trys. She does get on my nerves sometimes, she can be annoying sometimes. But I love her character, and I love that she did tone down a bit, she grew. I mean, we've been on a journey with her for a few years now, and she's really developed as a person. Still that goofy young kid at times, but also an officer capable of taking charge of the E-E's bridge and defusing a tense situation.

Thanks Christopher, for creating her, and thanks for all the other authors who worked with her and developed her so well.
Old February 2 2014, 01:14 PM   #34
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

A lot of her behavior, at least in her pre-Enterprise days, has been consciously calculated for shock value, particularly toward Vulcans or others who made assumptions about how she should behave based on her appearance.
I totally get this, and it comes out in your scenes with her. I've taught students just like her.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 02:07 PM   #35
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

I had never heard of the character and I generally don't read Trek literature but I will say that the original post starting this thread made me want to read about her.
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 06:01 PM   #36
JD5000
Commander

T'Ryssa is just a half-Vulcan Ro Laren. She would be less obnoxious if the character concept hadn't already been done.

That said, I wouldn't mind a plot line in which Laren is the only one around to help T'Ryssa out with her half Pon'far....just sayin.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 06:14 PM   #37
Christopher
Writer

JD5000 wrote: View Post
T'Ryssa is just a half-Vulcan Ro Laren.
In the sense that they're both Picard proteges whose attitude contrasts with the usual TNG crew, yes, it was my intent to do something similar. But Ro is ultra-serious and driven while Trys is just the opposite (at least to start with). And Ro has a tragic backstory from growing up under Cardassian oppression and in refugee camps, whereas Trys is a Starfleet brat whose attitude is mostly about coming from a broken home and rebelling against the roles and expectations people have tried to impose on her. Really she has more in common with Tom Paris than Ro, I'd say. And is maybe kind of an anti-Spock, a human-Vulcan hybrid who went in the opposite direction.

Old February 2 2014, 06:16 PM   #38
JD5000
Commander

I don't think she's less like Ro than Paris, but I think that's a pretty good comparison. The way I see her as similar to Ro are what you described, plus she is a character that breaks the stereotype of her culture to the annoyance of most and amusement of some. Having faith in T'Ryssa is supposed to be rewarding as we see her develop, just as it seems the intent was with Laren.

Side note - did you create T'Ryssa, Chris?

Second side note - I have 2 of your books on my Kindle, and I enjoyed them both!
Old February 2 2014, 06:34 PM   #39
Christopher
Writer

Yes, I did, along with fellow Enterprise-E personnel Rennan Konya (who debuted in SCE: Aftermath) and Counselor Hegol Den. She and Den debuted, and Konya joined the E-E crew, in Greater Than the Sum by yours truly. Though I actually created the Chen character years earlier, under the name T'Lyssa Chen, for a Trek/D&D crossover role-playing game that a friend and I played over e-mail for a brief while (before she had a child and her priorities shifted).

Old February 2 2014, 06:43 PM   #40
JD5000
Commander

Yes, I did, along with fellow Enterprise-E personnel Rennan Konya (who debuted in SCE: Aftermath) and Counselor Hegol Den. She and Den debuted, and Konya joined the E-E crew, in Greater Than the Sum by yours truly. Though I actually created the Chen character years earlier, under the name T'Lyssa Chen, for a Trek/D&D crossover role-playing game that a friend and I played over e-mail for a brief while (before she had a child and her priorities shifted).
That's a really interesting back story about the origin of the T'Ryssa character. The fact that some people don't like her makes her a good character, the crappy characters are the ones that don't inspire any emotion at all!
Old February 2 2014, 07:26 PM   #41
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I've only read T'Ryssa Chen in a few things. I think all I've read that had her in them were the Cold Equations trilogy, the first Destiny book (I never did read the other books in that trilogy) and the TNG parts of Typhoon Pact and The Fall, and honestly she wasn't particularly memorable in most of the ones I've read with her (I loved the Cold Equations trilogy, but I didn't even remember she made an appearance in any of the books until I looked it up). She seems just to be there to have a nontraditional personality in the book (well, that and the TNG book crew had only about half of the TV show cast left, so they probably needed more characters). She's not really interesting, and seems just to be mostly there for shock value (which is pretty lame), but I don't dislike her. I just don't care. She's not a bad character, she's just not a good one. She could easily be erased and not effect anything, but it doesn't bother me if she keeps appearing.

If she became the focus of a book I might cross the line from not caring to being semi-annoyed by the character, but as long as she gets about as much time as she has in the books I've read, she's not a big deal. Kind of like every other TNG book supporting character that's there just to make up for about half the TV cast not being on the Enterprise anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying almost all of the newer ST books I've read set in the current continuity, but the Enterprise-E books do lack a bit in the crew department. Then again, its still got a better crew than Titan, so there's that.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 09:10 PM   #42
JD
Admiral

Don't read Greater Than The Sum.
Old February 2 2014, 10:13 PM   #43
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I hadn't even heard of it before looking up Chen's appearances. I haven't read many books from this ongoing trek novel continuity that are pre-Destiny (and I only read the first destiny book). Its not usually a big deal that I didn't read a lot of the early parts of the ongoing novel continuity, although I still have no idea what books had the big borg invasion in them that the current books can't stop talking about. When it comes to the early books, if the one you mentioned focuses on Chen (or any other enterprise crew member not seen on TV or movies) I'd avoid it if I saw it.

I would read a newer book if a new book crew member was the focus, but mostly to stay caught up. At this point, I'm caught up enough with the pre Typhoon Pact events to not have to go through the early books that set up people like Chen. Even though I liked the TNG parts of The Fall, Typhon Pact and the Cold Equations trilogy (which the E-E crew was a big part of aftert part 1), I do miss the TNG books having a stronger cast. Maybe they can steal Tuvok from Titan now that its just an admiral's taxi.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 10:23 PM   #44
chelly
Lieutenant Commander

I love Chen and Abbey (since several people mentioned her in the thread). I find them to be very interesting and fun.
chelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 11:07 PM   #45
T'Ressa Dax
Captain

Which to me is a good reason to like her.