Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 1 2014, 09:41 PM   #1861
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

I doubt many people would have been clamoring for Bryan Cranston if he'd never shaved his head for Breaking Bad.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 09:44 PM   #1862
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Imagine the reaction if Bryan Cranston had been cast as Lex Luthor in Superman Returns prior to Breaking Bad. "The goofy dad from Malcolm in the Middle!? What the fuck!?"
Old February 1 2014, 09:49 PM   #1863
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
urbandefault wrote: View Post
I don't get the Cranston thing. Just because a guy can act and is willing to shave his head, it does not necessarily follow that he would be a good Lex Luthor.

If that's the only qualifier, how about Patrick Stewart?
Cranston is capable of doing vicious and intelligent very well and that would be perfect for Luthor. He's also the perfect age for the character. Patrick Stewart is too Shakespearean for the part. The problem we have with Eisenberg is that we're afraid he's going to portray a young, hip, cruel, and geeky Lex rather than an older, reserved, and brutal Luthor.

Ask yourself who would be better for a live action version of that scene. Bryan Cranston or Jesse Eisenberg?
But, again, who says that particular animated version of Luthor is the only way to go? As opposed to, say, the Silver Age version, the pre-Crisis version, the Smallville version, the Gene Hackman version, etc? Or a "young, hip, cruel and geeky" Luthor?

What's wrong with a young and hip Luthor? There's no rule that says you have to copy the cartoon version. Or any other previous version.
Old February 1 2014, 09:51 PM   #1864
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I doubt many people would have been clamoring for Bryan Cranston if he'd never shaved his head for Breaking Bad.
For me, it's not the shaving of the head, it's that he's a really good actor with a tremendous range.

Something, honestly, I have yet to see from Eisenberg.
Old February 1 2014, 09:57 PM   #1865
Christopher
Writer

Ask yourself who would be better for a live action version of that scene. Bryan Cranston or Jesse Eisenberg?
That's a meaningless question, because they're not remaking that story in that continuity with those versions of the characters. Their job is to create a new version of the story, one that reinterprets the characters and concepts in ways we haven't seen before. They know what their version of Lex Luthor is going to be, and they've chosen the actor that they think will best suit that character. Once we see the movie, maybe we'll understand why.

I had enormous problems with Man of Steel, but one thing that didn't bother me on the whole was the casting. I've never been a fan of Kevin Costner, and Amy Adams wasn't as tough and lively as I like Lois to be, but Cavill is the most perfect Superman since Reeve, and most of the rest of the cast was excellent. So I'm willing to extend these guys a little trust where casting is concerned, though I remain extremely wary about the writing.

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
As an aside, here's a trailer for The LEGO Movie that spoofs the trailer for Man of Steel:
I have to wonder if there's some significance to the fact that a trailer referencing Man of Steel concludes with a shot of Lego Superman saying "You ruined it. Good job." Probably not, but it could be taken as a bit subversive.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 09:57 PM   #1866
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

urbandefault wrote: View Post
I don't get the Cranston thing. Just because a guy can act and is willing to shave his head, it does not necessarily follow that he would be a good Lex Luthor.

If that's the only qualifier, how about Patrick Stewart?
Cranston is capable of doing vicious and intelligent very well and that would be perfect for Luthor. He's also the perfect age for the character. Patrick Stewart is too Shakespearean for the part. The problem we have with Eisenberg is that we're afraid he's going to portray a young, hip, cruel, and geeky Lex rather than an older, reserved, and brutal Luthor.

Depends on how the character is written. Michael Rosenbaum played "young, hip, cruel, and geeky" Lex for years on Smallville. Older actors like Spacey and Hackman ( no strangers to "older, reserved, and brutal" characters) played a Luthor that was borderline comical and camp.

Part of what makes Walter White a great character is the writing. Plus we see him evolve over the series. The Walter we see at the beginning is a different man the one we see at the end. Cranston is great in the part, but I doubt he's want to play a Luthor who was written like Walter White redux. If we're going Breaking Bad, IMO Gustavo Fring (Giancarlo Esposito ) is closer to Lex Luthor than Walter White. And Dean Norris looks more like classic Luthor than Cranston.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 10:00 PM   #1867
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
The Lex Luthor of the Bruce Timm animated series was a great take on the character, but it's not the only viable way to approach the character.
Just what I was trying to say, but shorter and more to the point.
Old February 1 2014, 10:01 PM   #1868
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Depends on how the character is written.
Yep, as with any part. As good an actor as Cranston is, he was a pretty dull villain in Total Recall given the material and the direction.
Old February 1 2014, 10:53 PM   #1869
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Depends on how the character is written. Michael Rosenbaum played "young, hip, cruel, and geeky" Lex for years on Smallville.
At the same time he was voicing a much different character on Justice League.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 10:58 PM   #1870
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
That's a meaningless question, because they're not remaking that story in that continuity with those versions of the characters. Their job is to create a new version of the story, one that reinterprets the characters and concepts in ways we haven't seen before. They know what their version of Lex Luthor is going to be, and they've chosen the actor that they think will best suit that character. Once we see the movie, maybe we'll understand why.
It's the new version of the story where they reinterpret the characters and concepts in ways we haven't seen before that we're commenting on. Based upon Eisenberg's casting, and Synder's previous history, we can speculate on what Luthor will be like and how his character will fit into the film.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 11:30 PM   #1871
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

It's the new version of the story where they reinterpret the characters and concepts in ways we haven't seen before that we're commenting on. Based upon Eisenberg's casting, and Synder's previous history, we can speculate on what Luthor will be like and how his character will fit into the film.
What about Snyder's past work tells you that Luthor will be "young, hip, cruel, and geeky" and will be written like Zuckerberg in Social Network? I've only seen Eisenberg in the Social Network and Zombieland and nothing tells be he's a one trick pony type actor.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old February 1 2014, 11:47 PM   #1872
urbandefault
Captain

Really.

You know from Snyder's history what the story is and how the characters will fit into it?

If this Eisenberry (sic) guy has left an impression on you, maybe that's a hint of his acting talent. That's what actors are trained to do, unless I'm sadly mistaken.

Speculate all you like, but unless you have inside information it's still just speculation.
Old February 2 2014, 12:01 AM   #1873
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Based on Snyder's history I know Luthor will wear a speedo and have piercings.

Last edited by Nerys Myk; February 2 2014 at 01:21 AM.
Old February 2 2014, 12:36 AM   #1874
Christopher
Writer

It's the new version of the story where they reinterpret the characters and concepts in ways we haven't seen before that we're commenting on.
Then why do you think a clip from a Justice League Unlimited episode could possibly be relevant to that question?

Based upon Eisenberg's casting, and Synder's previous history, we can speculate on what Luthor will be like and how his character will fit into the film.
I don't see how we can. Eisenberg is an actor. It's his job to adopt different personalities as needed.

Do I really need to play the Heath Ledger card once again? At the time he was cast as the Joker, he was known as a pretty-boy actor and fandom exploded in outrage because they couldn't imagine him being any good in the role. Before that, it was Michael Keaton as Batman -- "how is Beetlejuice going to play a serious action lead?" Fans keep making the same mistake because they forget what acting is.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 12:50 AM   #1875
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Do I really need to play the Heath Ledger card once again? At the time he was cast as the Joker, he was known as a pretty-boy actor and fandom exploded in outrage because they couldn't imagine him being any good in the role. Before that, it was Michael Keaton as Batman -- "how is Beetlejuice going to play a serious action lead?" Fans keep making the same mistake because they forget what acting is.
There's also an unfortunate tendency to assume that if it's not just like a previous version, it's wrong.

Case in point: I'll see your Heath Ledger card and raise you Katee Sackhoff.

"Omigod, Starbuck can't be a woman!"