New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 31 2014, 01:15 AM   #31
Ro_Laren
Commodore

Re: Why no Hunger Games video game?

Good question....
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 01:30 AM   #32
JD
Admiral

-Brett- wrote: View Post
The Hunger Games target audience is teenage girls. Not a demographic widely known for being gamers.
You'd be surprised. When I was high school I knew several girls who played video games. And there all sorts of articles on the web about girl gamers.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 05:00 AM   #33
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

The Hunger Games target audience is teenage girls. Not a demographic widely known for being gamers.
As I said earlier, big video game companies and their publishers tend to be pretty conservative, and they have more traditional market researchers and salespeople and all that jazz who buy into "traditional" notions of who buys what. Plenty of teenage girls are into video games, but MBAs at EA and Activision just wouldn't believe it.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 05:35 AM   #34
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

od0_ital wrote: View Post
I agree that a video game about kids killin' kids in a gladiator arena for mass entertainment of the upper class wouldn't really fly with the parents groups.
With all the kids playing GTA IV and Call of Duty I'm not so sure.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 08:10 AM   #35
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Base_Delta_Zero wrote: View Post
Even seeing a child in a video game is generally rare. How many games can you name where the goal is to murder children?
You could murder children in Fallout, The Phantom Menace, Deus Ex, and Baldur's Gate. Fallout 1 even has a perk called "child killer" your character receives after killing a child. I also remember running over children with an ice cream truck in Body Harvest on the N64. See, you play the ice cream music to lure them close, and then turn them into a bloody splatter on the street. Sure, you're supposed to save them to complete the mission, but sometimes you just want to have fun.

There's plenty of games where you can kill kids.
What's funny is you quote me and then don't answer the question correctly. In none of those games is the GOAL to kill children.

Now, if you had quoted the second question of my post, where I ask about games that ALLOW you to target children, your list would be applicable.

Regardless, The Hunger Games focus on children killing other children as bloodsport. The goal is child murder for LOLs. No one is going to greenlight that game.
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 11:10 AM   #36
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
As I said earlier, big video game companies and their publishers tend to be pretty conservative, and they have more traditional market researchers and salespeople and all that jazz who buy into "traditional" notions of who buys what. Plenty of teenage girls are into video games, but MBAs at EA and Activision just wouldn't believe it.
I suspect that this is the biggest reason why there is no game. Actually how much Hunger Games merch is there in general? I know there are dolls and make up (some one really missed the point on that one) but are there action figures and vehicles? I know its a complicated story to market to kids but its been done. I suspect that the bulk of the merch for the films has been targeted at girls, which is why there is no game.

The other thing to consider is what contracts exist that make the movies possible. I would imagine that a Hunger Games game set before Katniss would require the input of the original author. That may increase the development time for any game. Plus when you think about it, a Hunger Games game set before Katniss would be fairly limited story wise, since there would be no larger plot unless it was about the original uprising that was brutally crushed. The challenge of going that route is that the details about that event get revealed in the third story, so the game would be one big spoiler.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 06:40 PM   #37
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Even seeing a child in a video game is generally rare. How many games can you name where the goal is to murder children?
You could murder children in Fallout, The Phantom Menace, Deus Ex, and Baldur's Gate. Fallout 1 even has a perk called "child killer" your character receives after killing a child. I also remember running over children with an ice cream truck in Body Harvest on the N64. See, you play the ice cream music to lure them close, and then turn them into a bloody splatter on the street. Sure, you're supposed to save them to complete the mission, but sometimes you just want to have fun.

There's plenty of games where you can kill kids.
What's funny is you quote me and then don't answer the question correctly. In none of those games is the GOAL to kill children.

Now, if you had quoted the second question of my post, where I ask about games that ALLOW you to target children, your list would be applicable.

Regardless, The Hunger Games focus on children killing other children as bloodsport. The goal is child murder for LOLs. No one is going to greenlight that game.
I understood your question correctly, but it's an unfair question. There aren't any games where killing children is the goal because children make for poor goals. Can you imagine a Call of Duty game where you fight an army of 12 years olds or a platformer where the big bad is a 15 year old girl? It doesn't make sense.

Western games are focused on the gritty, adult stuff and Japanese games are focused on fantasy. Children don't fit into western games and humans don't fit into Japanese games. So I did the next best thing and gave you a game (Fallout) where the company actually programmed in a character perk that you can achieve if you murder a child. For an open-world game that's as close to a goal as you get.

I do agree that children murdering children wouldn't fly in an ultra gritty, realistic FPS, but outside of that genre, say for example an isometric RPG, there really isn't a problem. Baldur's Gate and Fallout were two of the most popular and influential games of all time and they allowed (even gave you bonuses for) murdering children.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote