Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 13 2014, 02:25 AM   #16
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Re: good guest actors

ToddPence wrote: View Post
You've never seen the Twilight Zone episode "Black Leather Jackets?"
Evidently not.

AtoZ wrote: View Post
I have great respect for Logan Ramsey as Claudius in Bread and Circuses. I felt he had a somewhat bigger presence as a guest star than many of the other fine actors we saw over the course of TOS. I'm glad they didn't try and pull one over us, having him appear somewhere again as another character in the 3rd season. His impact (to me) as Claudius would have made such an appearance all the less believable.

We got to see some of his comedic range in 'The Incubator'......an excellent early MASH episode
Curiously, Ramsey played a very similar character to Claudius (a kind of second-in-command on a parallel-Earth planet) in a 1979 episode of Battlestar Galactica.
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 01:13 AM   #17
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

AtoZ wrote: View Post
I have great respect for Logan Ramsey as Claudius in Bread and Circuses. I felt he had a somewhat bigger presence as a guest star than many of the other fine actors we saw over the course of TOS. I'm glad they didn't try and pull one over us, having him appear somewhere again as another character in the 3rd season. His impact (to me) as Claudius would have made such an appearance all the less believable.

We got to see some of his comedic range in 'The Incubator'......an excellent early MASH episode
I think Claudius is enhanced by the fact that he "gets away with it". Most shows wouldn't leave the antagonist* alive and in charge at the end.

*Even if he does have the whole "I have the utmost respect for you Kirk" thing going.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 05:41 AM   #18
Elder Knight
Captain

Veteran villain (worked for Hitchcock) Reggie Nalder was suitably creepy as the fake Andorian in Journey to Babel.
Elder Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 02:25 AM   #19
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Elder Knight wrote: View Post
Veteran villain (worked for Hitchcock) Reggie Nalder was suitably creepy as the fake Andorian in Journey to Babel.
Just happened to have re-watched JtB last night. Actually he was the real Andorian delegate Shras. The fake Andorian (really an Orion) was Thelev, played by William O'Connell.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 03:56 AM   #20
Elder Knight
Captain

Okay, thanks. I guess I haven't watched it recently enough!
Elder Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 11:15 AM   #21
Push The Button
Captain

I second Mark Lenard, both for his Romulan Commander and Sarek performances.

One of my favorites has always been David Opatoshu as Anan Seven in A Taste of Armageddon. Anan is the "bad guy" in the story, certainly, but Opatoshu gives him a core of decency.

Last edited by Push The Button; January 24 2014 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Anan, not Anon.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 05:00 PM   #22
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

I think Mark Lenard really ran the table in "Journey to Babel". That's not knocking his performance as the Romulan Commander, but there's nothing really groundbreaking in playing a ruthless, but honorable enemy who becomes sympathetic because of his inner conflicts over duty and morality. Again, that's not saying it was easy, just that it's not groundbreaking. Now consider Sarek, here's a guy who's supposed to be emotionless (we know that's crappola of course and we see the emotion in him) but is estranged from his son and yet as Amanda reminds him, he's secretly proud of his son's accomplishments. He also shows a wry sense of humor and deeply loves his wife. That's an awful lot of layers for one character and in my book it's a truly amazing performance.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 05:32 PM   #23
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Yeah, Mark Lenard, as Sarek, was the name that jumped into my mind when I first saw this thread. He's not just good, he's great.

I think that Michael Forest as Apollo, Robert Walker as Charlie Evans, William Marshall as Dr. Daystrom, and Susan Howard as Kang's wife Mara are also all very good.
Old January 25 2014, 11:44 PM   #24
Mr. Hengist
Ensign

I'm certainly not knocking anyone already mentioned, but I always thought the Squire of Gothos gave a very entertaining if somewhat campy performance. Sort of had a 60's/Batman vibe to it, he would have fit right in there with Adam West's rogue's gallery.

I just can't recall the actor's name off the top of my head but wasn't he in "Strangers on a Train"?

William Campbell ("campy" performance LOL)

Also liked the actor who played Flint (James Daly) in Requiem for Methuselah, don't know what else he's been in.
Old January 26 2014, 12:47 AM   #25
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

James Daly was very active in the 60s and 70's. Always delivered a fine performance.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2014, 10:26 PM   #26
Green Shirt
Commodore

Bruce Mars really chewed the scenery in his over the top performance as Finnegan in Shore Leave.
Old January 30 2014, 04:47 PM   #27
E-DUB
Captain

Gotta agree with Lenard as Sarek. Playing a man with emotions just below the surface. It also helps that he's the first full Vulcan we saw.

I also liked Townes in "Archons", however and would recommend his performance in a two-parter episode of "The Incredible Hulk" called "The First", in which he plays a man who was hulkified 30 years before Banner, cured, and wants the power back.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2014, 04:49 PM   #28
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

E-DUB wrote: View Post
It also helps that he's the first full Vulcan we saw.
That distinction belongs to the other Vulcans in "Amok Time".
Old January 31 2014, 05:34 AM   #29
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

E-DUB wrote: View Post
Gotta agree with Lenard as Sarek. Playing a man with emotions just below the surface. It also helps that he's the first full Vulcan we saw.

I also liked Townes in "Archons", however and would recommend his performance in a two-parter episode of "The Incredible Hulk" called "The First", in which he plays a man who was hulkified 30 years before Banner, cured, and wants the power back.
I remember Townes in "The First". Amazing performance. He starts out as this little nebbish, but once he regains the power, it becomes all too obvious why the man that gave it to him took it away. He was Evil. Not just evil, but Evil.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 05:50 PM   #30
E-DUB
Captain

I will amend my earlier comment to say that Lenard's performance was the first full Vulcan we saw in depth as the characters in "Amok Time" were somewhat cursory, however iconic T'Pol and T'Pring have become over time.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote