Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 29 2014, 11:50 PM   #31
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye; No, no, no, no... (spoiler)

I don't anticipate liking Capaldi as much as I liked Smith, but I never imagined I would wind up liking Smith more than I liked Tennant, so who knows.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2014, 04:18 AM   #32
Candlelight
Admiral

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Indeed. Anyway, lots of pictures in the Daily Mail article. It's a long time to wait.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ra-Oswald.html
What a weird article; the captions on the photos try to make Capaldi seem like an old geeza struggling to learn his lines and being awkward around young ladies, and then part way through there's an ad for buying the outfit that Jenna's wearing!
Old January 30 2014, 05:16 AM   #33
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I don't anticipate liking Capaldi as much as I liked Smith, but I never imagined I would wind up liking Smith more than I liked Tennant, so who knows.
Since way back when I heard that Christopher Eccleston was leaving and this new guy David Tennant was replacing him. I've learned my lesson. Every incarnation of the Doctor is a revelation and you end up liking them all. Right now. It's a bit of separation anxiety because there is a comfort factor with Matt Smith and I am certain that by the end of Peter Capaldi's first episode he'll be The Doctor.
Old January 30 2014, 05:29 AM   #34
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
I was a big fan of Smith and all his crazy antics and mannerisms... but I'm also very much looking forward to a calmer and more "mature" Doctor with Capaldi as well. I just don't see why a person can only like one kind of Doctor.
I'm a huge fan of both Tennant and Smith, but I'm surprised at how much I'm looking forward to a mature Doctor too. That's thanks in large part to John Hurt whose Doctor highlighted their crazy antics through his reaction to them.

I don't expect Capaldi's Doctor to be just like the War Doctor, but I liked that change to a more mature, no nonsense, less frilly Doctor. Hopefully this will be a nice change like that was.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2014, 03:18 PM   #35
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

PorthosShadow wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
Since way back when I heard that Christopher Eccleston was leaving and this new guy David Tennant was replacing him. I've learned my lesson. Every incarnation of the Doctor is a revelation and you end up liking them all. Right now. It's a bit of separation anxiety because there is a comfort factor with Matt Smith and I am certain that by the end of Peter Capaldi's first episode he'll be The Doctor.
Yea, that's the way it always is for me, too, I love them all, all the way back to Hartnell. Though, some Doctors just never do gel for some people.

Like others, I too am looking forward to a more mature take for a change

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2014, 05:09 PM   #36
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
but I'm surprised at how much I'm looking forward to a mature Doctor too.
Assuming he's a mature doctor.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2014, 05:44 PM   #37
davejames
Vice Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
but I'm surprised at how much I'm looking forward to a mature Doctor too.
Assuming he's a mature doctor.
Maybe not, but judging from that set video he at least walks around like a normal, mature adult once again.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2014, 08:11 PM   #38
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Maybe it'll be a twist of expectations and Matt Smith will call and say, "Fuckity bye!"
Old January 31 2014, 12:24 AM   #39
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I got to agree, having a Doctor's predecessor show up in his premiere to "legitimize" the new guy is a bit of a disservice to the new Doctor. All the passing the torch stuff should be handled in the regeneration scene (and has been). In a Doctor's premiere he should make a bold declaration of "I'm the Doctor now. Deal with it." Kind of like what Matt Smith himself did in The Eleventh Hour when he walked through the holographic representation of Tennant's face.
Maybe there's a reason we're being reminded about Matt. I'll be very interested if he makes yet another cameo after this.
Old January 31 2014, 10:09 PM   #40
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Neroon wrote: View Post
Why Capaldi? Is there anything in particular that makes you feel that way, Stig?
Well, in the two roles that I've seen him in (Torchwood and Fires of Pompeii) I never got that sense that he was a performer who could pull off The Doctor. I'll be happy to be proved wrong but I am not impressed so far. I had a very good impression of Matt Smith from the start and felt that he nailed the post-regeneration scene marvelously. Capaldi, not so much.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 11:13 AM   #41
Lance
Fleet Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I got to agree, having a Doctor's predecessor show up in his premiere to "legitimize" the new guy is a bit of a disservice to the new Doctor. All the passing the torch stuff should be handled in the regeneration scene (and has been). In a Doctor's premiere he should make a bold declaration of "I'm the Doctor now. Deal with it."
Sometimes they have made that statement too loudly, though.

"The Twin Dilemma" is basically an exercise in the new guy saying 'That chap in the Cricket whites? What a loser!', as per:

DOCTOR: Change, my dear. And it seems not a moment too soon!!!
DOCTOR: I'm not 'people', Peri. I happen to be *me*!
DOCTOR: It's the most extraordinary improvement.
DOCTOR: My last incarnation. I was never happy with that one. It had a sort of... 'feckless charm', which simply wasn't me!
PERI: You were almost young. I really liked you. And you were sweet and...
DOCTOR: Sweet? Effete! Sweet? Sweet! Sweet? Huh. THAT says it all!
DOCTOR: You may not believe this, but I have fully stabilised.
PERI: Then I suggest you take a crash course in manners.
DOCTOR: You seem to forget, Peri, I'm not only from another culture but another planet. I am, in your terms, an "alien". I am therefore bound to different values and customs.
PERI: Your former self was polite enough.
DOCTOR: Oh, but at such a cost! I was on the verge of becoming neurotic.
DOCTOR: I am the Doctor, whether you like it or not.
Sometimes I think a little... affirmation that this is indeed the same guy can be good. The opposite situation, taken to extremes as above, leads to a bad taste in the mouth.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 04:38 PM   #42
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

First of all, let me say this is the worst possible way to spoil anything up. Second, whinning about Smith for a frickin' cameo just seems too much to me. Calm the fuck down.

OK, with that out of the way... I kinda like this. I like that the Doctor, before his regeneration, wanted to make her feel at ease with his future self. It reminds me of Nine trying to ease Rose in the change to Ten.

That said.. I'm not sure its gonna be a good idea to have a past Doctor basically going "don't worry kids, I may look like a doddery old grandpa, but I'm still me!". On the one hand, I understand Moffat's doing it for the younger audience to stay tuned for this new Doctor, but it does seem out of the ordinary. I mean, we didn't have Jon Pertwee or David Tennant reaffirming their audiences to stay tuned for this new Doctor, did we?

Anyway, while I like it as an idea, I guess we'll have to wait and see how it'll play out.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 05:09 PM   #43
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

I have no worries that this will just be a very short cameo. It's not going to affect the story much one way or the other.

If you like Smith (like me), you'll probably think it's cool. If you don't like Smith, well, it probably lasts less than a minute and the rest of the episode and Capaldi will stand or fall based on its own merits.

Worries about the "affirmation" aspect are just over blown.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 07:20 PM   #44
davejames
Vice Admiral

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
That said.. I'm not sure its gonna be a good idea to have a past Doctor basically going "don't worry kids, I may look like a doddery old grandpa, but I'm still me!". On the one hand, I understand Moffat's doing it for the younger audience to stay tuned for this new Doctor, but it does seem out of the ordinary. I mean, we didn't have Jon Pertwee or David Tennant reaffirming their audiences to stay tuned for this new Doctor, did we?
Maybe not for those two, but they did do the same basic thing in Troughton's first episode, by having the image of Hartnell stare back at him in the mirror for a couple seconds: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/class...r/one/18.shtml

If they could do it all the way back then, I don't see the harm in a quick little reassuring phone call from Smith today.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 09:26 AM   #45
Sparky
Commodore

If this is true then it might explain why the exterior phone on the TARDIS was off the hook near the end of The Time of the Doctor.