RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,702
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 418
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old January 27 2014, 09:17 PM   #811
Use of Time
Commodore

Re: NFL Discussion - 2013 Season

tighr wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
The media showed the exchange with audio. Feel free to look it up.
Well unless Sherman is a liar I don't need to. The quote I got came from him explaining what he said to Crabtree.
Explaining what he said after the fact and what he actually said are two different things. Here's the actual clip (fast forward to about :47 to see the actual exchange).

Sherman runs up to Crabtree, smacks him on the butt (common for football players, and not a sign of disrespect), and says "Hell of a game, hell of a game!" before reaching a hand out for a handshake. Nothing nefarious at all.

He may not be the biggest fan of Crabtree outside of the stadium, but in that stadium there was no jawing with Crabtree. He quite literally ran up to him after the game, extended his hand for a shake, and was pushed in the head. An official came up to separate them, but the damage had been done. I believe AFTER this (when Sherman is now pissed) is when he does the throat choke sign towards Kaepernick (not Crabtree), and gets fined by the league.

When looking at the video evidence, what I see is a guy who went for a post-game handshake.
Terrific. Then Sherman was embellishing the story during his interview. Shocker. I don't really care about Sherman one way or the other but you aren't going to convince me that he is just this deeply misunderstood individual. He knows exactly what he is doing. Which is fine. The NFL needs guys like that. Another layer to the Super Bowl storyline to be sure.
Old January 28 2014, 08:01 PM   #812
tighr
Commodore

I heard Marshawn Lynch bolted after just 6 minutes of answering media questions. The media will view this as Lynch being a "distraction" to his team. Clearly, the media themselves are the distraction to him.

This may result in him receiving a $100M fine from the NFL for failure to make himself available to the media.
Old January 28 2014, 08:51 PM   #813
Use of Time
Commodore

I heard Marshawn Lynch bolted after just 6 minutes of answering media questions. The media will view this as Lynch being a "distraction" to his team. Clearly, the media themselves are the distraction to him.

This may result in him receiving a $100M fine from the NFL for failure to make himself available to the media.
$100M?
Old January 28 2014, 10:20 PM   #814
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

$50000 last time, but the NFL ended up reversing the fine.
Old January 28 2014, 10:29 PM   #815
tighr
Commodore

Use of Time wrote: View Post
$100M?
Oh sorry, I'm at work. We use "M" as an abbreviation for 1000 ("MM" is an abbreviation for million, as in thousand-thousand). As an engineer, this finance abbreviation bugs the shit out of me, but eight years later I guess I've gotten used to it.

It should read $100,000.

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
$50000 last time, but the NFL ended up reversing the fine.
What I read was that the appeal was granted under condition that he didn't do it again, with the threat of an additional $50k fine and reinstatement of the original fine. $100k.

EDIT: Thanks google for helping explain "M" vs "k" and "MM" vs "m"! http://www.accountingcoach.com/blog/...d-mm-stand-for
Old January 28 2014, 10:44 PM   #816
Green Shirt
Commodore

gblews wrote: View Post
Sherman's biggest mistake was coming across as "scary black man" to many Americans

I still haven't left my house.
Old January 29 2014, 09:29 PM   #817
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

OmaHA!!! I'm sure we've all noticed it right before the Broncos snap the ball on what seems like every play. It had gotten inside my head so much in the last game that I waited to hear it and was not disappointed once. Well the number of times Peyton yells OmaHA!! before the snap can, like everything else in the SB, be wagered upon.

From the L.A. Times website today;

By now, we all know how much Denver quarterback Peyton Manning loves yelling the word "Omaha." We still really don't know why he does it, just that the future Hall of Famer is sure to give the Nebraska city plenty of shout-outs from the line of scrimmage Sunday when the Broncos face the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XLVIII.
But just how many times will we hear "Omaha!" barked out of our TV sets?

Well, Las Vegas sports books are taking bets on that, and they've set the over/under at 27 1/2.
Old January 29 2014, 09:39 PM   #818
tighr
Commodore

The Prop Bets sheet that I'm handing out at my party this Sunday includes under the "will it occur" section: Manning 'Omaha' play call results in TD yes/no.

I've seen other prop bet sheets with the 27 1/2 number, as well.

FYI, if anyone wants to use the prop bet sheet I've got, it's listed here:
https://sites.google.com/site/printa...rbowlpropbets/

I'm giving these out at $5 a pop prior to the game. It's a fun thing we do every year!
Old January 30 2014, 01:26 AM   #819
gblews
Rear Admiral

The Prop Bets sheet that I'm handing out at my party this Sunday includes under the "will it occur" section: Manning 'Omaha' play call results in TD yes/no.

I've seen other prop bet sheets with the 27 1/2 number, as well.

FYI, if anyone wants to use the prop bet sheet I've got, it's listed here:
https://sites.google.com/site/printa...rbowlpropbets/

I'm giving these out at $5 a pop prior to the game. It's a fun thing we do every year!
Got any action on "smokey left" (or right)?
Old January 30 2014, 05:47 PM   #820
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

I'm heading down to Vegas for the game, but I don't think I'll make an over/under bet on how many times Manning yells "Omaha". I haven't even decided on which team to bet on. Maybe I'll just stick to betting the over/under on the score and toss in a small prop bet parley card.
Old January 31 2014, 03:23 AM   #821
tighr
Commodore

Got any action on "smokey left" (or right)?
In the AFC-CG, Peyton actually used "Bags Montana Fatman" several times. Who knows what it was supposed to mean, but it was hilarious.
Old January 31 2014, 12:41 PM   #822
Scout101
Admiral

Wish Chatty Cathy would just shut up and play, but that's me, I guess. Comparing tape to what he says (and in interviews with other players) 90% of what he says is complete nonsense anyway. And nothing until about 10 seconds before snap, for sure.

Fully agree he's going to change coverages based on what he sees, call out the Mike linebacker (pretty common), even a couple fake snap counts occasionally to try and draw offsides, but does he really need a 40-second stream of consciousness verbal diarrhea on EVERY snap? Just STFU and snap the ball occasionally. Since he's gotta run a certain percentages of the plays that were actually called in, would be nice if on at least ONE play, he called it in the huddle, just walked up and snapped it without saying anything. Guy just loves the sound of his own voice, and maybe helps his legend about the brilliant QB if people think he's got all this stuff going on all the time...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old January 31 2014, 08:34 PM   #823
gblews
Rear Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Wish Chatty Cathy would just shut up and play, but that's me, I guess. Comparing tape to what he says (and in interviews with other players) 90% of what he says is complete nonsense anyway. And nothing until about 10 seconds before snap, for sure.

Fully agree he's going to change coverages based on what he sees, call out the Mike linebacker (pretty common), even a couple fake snap counts occasionally to try and draw offsides, but does he really need a 40-second stream of consciousness verbal diarrhea on EVERY snap? Just STFU and snap the ball occasionally. Since he's gotta run a certain percentages of the plays that were actually called in, would be nice if on at least ONE play, he called it in the huddle, just walked up and snapped it without saying anything. Guy just loves the sound of his own voice, and maybe helps his legend about the brilliant QB if people think he's got all this stuff going on all the time...
I also found it annoying when he did this when he was with the Colts. It was like he wanted there to be no doubt as to who was in control of the offense. But for reasons unknown, it hasn't bothered me as much since he's been with Denver.

But the evolution of signal calling in the NFL has been fascinating. In the old days guys would get up there, call out their fake numbers, utter a few "huts" and go. Nowadays, with many quarterbacks, it sounds like they are having a conversation with someone at the line of scrimmage and then the ball is suddenly snapped.

BTW, I hear you re: the "Mike" call. But I don't think any of the teams use "Mike" anymore for the middle backer. In fact, I suspect that Peyton's "Smokey" is Denver's name for "Mike".
Old February 1 2014, 03:04 AM   #824
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

Hawks 12th man parody

Go Hawks Go!
Old February 1 2014, 04:10 PM   #825
Scout101
Admiral

BTW, I hear you re: the "Mike" call. But I don't think any of the teams use "Mike" anymore for the middle backer. In fact, I suspect that Peyton's "Smokey" is Denver's name for "Mike".
Sure they do. Know for a fact Patriots do, as you hear Brady call out "54 (or whatever) is the Mike" before most of the snaps. Just adjusts towards whichever side they're blocking to, sets the assignments.

Obviously watched fewer Denver games, but fairly positive that somewhere in Peyton's rambling diatribes that he's been calling out the Mike LB as well...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Closed Thread