TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 28 2014, 04:29 PM   #1171
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Tom wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^ Then BBC and Phil Morris should confirm/deny what they have knowledge of.

Keep in mind, the BBC knew about Fear and Enemy many months before they were released.

I do have to wonder how reputations would fare if anyone was found to be keeping knowledge hidden.

Mr Awe
Yet the BBC flat out lied in June saying they have no missing episodes. They have no credibility in the fans eyes in regards to missing episodes after that incident. They probably have Marco Polo but they will keep denying it until they release it.
I don't think that's true. I don't believe they had the episodes in June. I think The Restoration Team had them. I don't think BBC got them until they were released on iTunes. If they weren't in BBC's hands, how is it their place to speak for what Phil Morris has?

Maybe Morris doesn't want them announced, until they are restored, and ready. Wouldn't there be a shit storm to announce Marco Polo is back, and then find out 2 episodes are beyond being restored?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2014, 04:36 PM   #1172
Tom
Rear Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
^ Then BBC and Phil Morris should confirm/deny what they have knowledge of.

Keep in mind, the BBC knew about Fear and Enemy many months before they were released.

I do have to wonder how reputations would fare if anyone was found to be keeping knowledge hidden.

Mr Awe
Yet the BBC flat out lied in June saying they have no missing episodes. They have no credibility in the fans eyes in regards to missing episodes after that incident. They probably have Marco Polo but they will keep denying it until they release it.
I don't think that's true. I don't believe they had the episodes in June. I think The Restoration Team had them. I don't think BBC got them until they were released on iTunes. If they weren't in BBC's hands, how is it their place to speak for what Phil Morris has?

Maybe Morris doesn't want them announced, until they are restored, and ready. Wouldn't there be a shit storm to announce Marco Polo is back, and then find out 2 episodes are beyond being restored?
Well sometimes honesty is your best course. (rough example)

"We found some damaged Marco Polo episodes, the restoration team is working to see if any are salvageable. We will not know there condition until the team has full analyzed them. We will let you know when we get further updates.

The BBC"

So at least tell us there is a possibility, this will build talk and interest and cut out the rumors.

Last edited by Tom; January 28 2014 at 04:58 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2014, 04:38 PM   #1173
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Well sometimes honesty is your best course. (rough example)

"We found some damaged Marco Polo episodes, the restoration team is working to see if any are salvageable. We will not know there condition until the team has full analyzed them. We will let you know when we get further updates.

The BBC"
But, the BBC didn't find them, Morris did

Old January 28 2014, 05:08 PM   #1174
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

They've already spoken repeatedly, how many more times should they speak to it?
It must be nice living in a world where you're just happy with whatever people decide to give you!

No, they haven't been straight forward about this at all. They've been deceptive and that's a huge source of the problem. It feeds the crackpots.

I agree and that's a huge part of the problem. Those who should be trust worthy aren't, which is leading to all sorts of craziness.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2014, 05:13 PM   #1175
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

It is true. I was at the 50th celebration con in London and both Hines and Watling confirmed that they had seen the 2 recovered shows at a secret screening held by the BBC before June. They were sworn to secrecy by the BBC.

Also, if Morris is playing a role, he should be straight forward about what he has and doesn't has. I can understand a staggered release. He should make money on finding them because I'm sure it cost him money. But, he should be a bit more forthcoming about what he has recovered.

Mr Awe
Old January 28 2014, 06:28 PM   #1176
Tom
Rear Admiral

Rule one: The BBC Lies! LOL

...now we know where Moffat gets it from. LOL
Old January 28 2014, 08:06 PM   #1177
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Obviously, I'm not believing the crackpots. However, it also seems likely that more is going on.
I've heard nothing to disprove the 40 odd story I was told mid 2012, since even at that stage it included Enemy and Web, Morris' name attached to a tale of bicycled prints in Africa, a reveal that would be held for the anniversary. The Morecambe & Wise print being too far gone was mentioned at that point too.

So I'm certainly more optimistic about the other 30 episodes of that batch than I am the other 60. It never included Moonbase

It is true. I was at the 50th celebration con in London and both Hines and Watling confirmed that they had seen the 2 recovered shows at a secret screening held by the BBC before June. They were sworn to secrecy by the BBC.
Interesting, Frazer said elsewhere Debbie told him about the recovery in September, and she's said she's still not seen the episodes except for the two at the press screening.

Actors eh?
Old January 28 2014, 08:25 PM   #1178
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ Debbie said at the con that the BBC hadn't invited Frazer because he'd leak it. So, she invited him but made him promise he wouldn't spill the beans!

I'm optimistic that there are more finds, but no idea how many. It might just be Marco Polo, for which I'd be thrilled and thankful. But, more would be nice!

Mr Awe
Old January 28 2014, 08:39 PM   #1179
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

It seems unlikely the episodes were shown at any screening, secret or otherwise, prior to the Restoration Team receiving them in early June. In the words of Steve Roberts: "There were old tape joins in all the episodes, which came apart in our hands and which could not have survived being put onto a projector or telecine for viewing." So the possibilities are:

(a) Roberts is fibbing for no evident reason (and given how big reports and denials of secret screenings are in current rumor discussion, you'd think someone else who was at the con would have used the actors' statements in a "Gotcha!" moment);

(b) Watling and Hines misremembered when the screening occurred (but again, someone else would still have brought it up);

(c) what Watling and Hines said at the con has been misunderstood.
Old January 28 2014, 08:42 PM   #1180
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
It seems unlikely the episodes were shown at any screening, secret or otherwise, prior to the Restoration Team receiving them in early June. In the words of Steve Roberts: "There were old tape joins in all the episodes, which came apart in our hands and which could not have survived being put onto a projector or telecine for viewing." So the possibilities are:

(a) Roberts is fibbing for no evident reason (and given how big reports and denials of secret screenings are in current rumor discussion, you'd think someone else who was at the con would have used the actors' statements in a "Gotcha!" moment);

(b) Watling and Hines misremembered when the screening occurred (but again, someone else would still have brought it up);

(c) what Watling and Hines said at the con has been misunderstood.
And, even in November, when releassed on iTunes, there was still a missing episode or Web

Old January 28 2014, 09:17 PM   #1181
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Well, if there was a secret screening it would presumably have been just the surviving episodes, so I don't think that matters. But no copies suitable for a screening of any kind existed for Enemy until mid-August, or for Web until days before the iTunes release in October... unless those involved are being deceptive about the timeline for some reason.

Either way, the underlying point was that the BBC knew the episodes existed in June, when they issued the statement that some interpreted as a denial. Of course, nothing that was said was technically a lie (the initial statement said "we cannot confirm any new finds," not that none had occurred, and the spokewsoman's follow-up was hedged with "as far as I'm aware" and the like), and the BBC has every right to be cagey about its plans for exploiting a given commercial property, even if the property in question is one some fans feel really, really entitled to full disclosure about.
Old January 28 2014, 09:39 PM   #1182
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

To me it just seems irresponsible. The BBC isn't supposed to be a money making operation anyway. That said, you'd expect them to take the responsible approach and confirm/deny and not be misleading in the process. That's *not* asking too much.

I believe Watling and Hines. It's possible some things got scrunched together. Like, maybe Watling learned about the episodes prior to June but didn't see it until after. There was a delay between when she learned about them and when she saw the screen.

Mr Awe
Old January 28 2014, 09:40 PM   #1183
Lonemagpie
Writer

Debs's memory is notoriously scatterbrained - if you tell her she did something or was at something a while back (that you just made up) she'll totally remember having done it/been at it...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2014, 09:44 PM   #1184
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ I can believe that having had a lengthy conversation with her. But, Frazer confirmed it. Of course, he could've just been being nice. But, I believe that they were aware of the episodes long before they became common knowledge with perhaps some uncertainty about when they actually saw them.
Old January 28 2014, 09:45 PM   #1185
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

To me it just seems irresponsible. The BBC isn't supposed to be a money making operation anyway. That said, you'd expect them to take the responsible approach and confirm/deny and not be misleading in the process. That's *not* asking too much.

I believe Watling and Hines. It's possible some things got scrunched together. Like, maybe Watling learned about the episodes prior to June but didn't see it until after. There was a delay between when she learned about them and when she saw the screen.

Mr Awe
But, again, part of the deal, seems to be not revealing what isn't in their possession, so, it's not up to them to disclose what they are negotiating getting into their hands. It appears they weere gagged by Morris (Hence Morris making the announcement for Enemy and Web, and not the BBC)