Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 25 2014, 03:57 PM   #16
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Best TV Show Ever Comes to DVD End of April

ToddPence wrote: View Post
I would rather hear the news that I'd just tested positive for HIV than hear that Shout Factory had the rights to my favorite TV show. This is one of the worst DVD release companies out there, an amateurish outfit that has a history of botching the release of several classic shows. Keep your fingers crossed that HSB comes out okay.
Meh, Shout Factory isn't bad. For worst DVD company, my vote goes to Mill Creek. Worthless, unplayable disks that freeze up in various spots. I pissed away 70 bucks on Hunter The complete series from them a few years back and found their disks to be horrible.

And it's not just me. I've heard complaints from friends, friends of friends, family of friends, my own family, online reviews, pretty much anybody who ever paid for a Mill Creek release, no matter what it might be. And the complaints continue to this day.

How those clowns stay in business is anybody's guess.

Personally, I'm looking forward to this Hill Street Blues set, although it'll be closer to September before I'm done saving up the money to get it.

Last edited by RandyS; January 25 2014 at 04:25 PM.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 08:29 PM   #17
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
I'd say that you should just ignore them when they say this about Shout Factory, but I don't think that it's a big deal.
The stories from all sides can be true. Why should we ignore such things as Shout Factory misrepresentation? If we can hold the rest of the gang responsible, we can hold Shout Factory responsible as well. Why exclude them from our expectations? We can ask that it be done right or not at all when it's not worth the great disappointment.
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 11:54 PM   #18
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I love the show...time to start saving all my spare change...
Old January 26 2014, 05:20 AM   #19
the G-man
Commodore

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
Shout! Factory has scored the Steven Bochco hat trick — in addition to Hill Street Blues, they released the long-delayed Season 5 of NYPD Blue yesterday, and also got the rights for a DVD release of L.A. Law.
A couple of years ago there was a cable channel that was showing reruns of both hill street blues and LA law

Both of them are on my list of favorite shows of all-time. I made it a point to re-watch both

That being said, while Hill Street blues still holds up LA law is incredibly dated, both in terms of the fashions and some of the topical references
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 05:51 PM   #20
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

^In that case, I have to watch LA LAW, a show I was never much interested in.

The more dated a show is, the better a show is. But then, I like history too.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2014, 06:24 AM   #21
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post

A couple of years ago there was a cable channel that was showing reruns of both hill street blues and LA law

Both of them are on my list of favorite shows of all-time. I made it a point to re-watch both

That being said, while Hill Street blues still holds up LA law is incredibly dated, both in terms of the fashions and some of the topical references
The entire run? I remember NUVO, must have been Lt Calletano and Jesus Martinez that caught their market niche screen, was showing the first couple of seasons only.
Old January 28 2014, 01:23 AM   #22
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

These people act as if Shout Factory doesn't have to deal with music publishing companies or with the individuals that own the music used in many of the older shows,
Well, in the first place, none of the instances I cited above had anything to do with music related issues. One of them dealt with an incompetent video transfer, and others with Shout offering inferior quality episodes on a set after being deceitful and dishonest aforehand as to the quality of those episodes.

So they sit on their bums and complain about how they've been betrayed by Shout Factory and other home video companies, when in certain cases like that of the (IMHO) non-debacle centered around the music of The Fugitive DVD sets (Season 2 & 3) being replaced by new music, they really should be going after the rights holder companies/individuals that control said music pieces and giving them a piece of their minds and also telling them to be not so greedy (the same should also go with the executives at the studios as well, and they should also go after the local TV stations and tell them to stop showing infomercials and start showing the reruns that they're supposed to be showing.)

I'd say that you should just ignore them when they say this about Shout Factory, but I don't think that it's a big deal.
“Non-debacle?” The issue of the music on the original DVD issue of The Fugitive was one of the greatest debacles in the history of DVD television series releases, for both the fans of the show and ultimately for Paramount/CBS, who wound up having to sink way more money into the project than they would have had they released the series properly in the first place.
Imagine this scenario: go back to when Paramount is releasing Star Trek the original series for the first time ever on DVD. Imagine that those DVDs come out, and it turns out that the original music scored for those episodes by Alexander Courage, Fred Steiner, George Dunning, Gerald Fried, et. al. has been replaced by a score consisting of some synthesizer music drummed up by some hack musician. And if the end credits of each episode were altered to replace the name of the original composer with the hack musician. Do you think fans of the original Star Trek would have stood for that for one second? If that had happened, would you still call it a “non-debacle”? I don’t know, maybe you would.
And again, the whole thing about the music replacement on The Fugitive was not so much that it happened as that Paramount did it in an extremely sneaky, underhanded way, making no public announcement about it prior to release and refusing to respond pubically to the public criticism in its aftermath.
Those of us who “sat on our bums and complained” forced Paramount to eventually re-release The Fugitive with the original score intact. What have those of you who have sat on their buns and complained about US done, other than hamper our efforts to preserve classic television the way it was meant to be seen?

I'd say that you should ignore posters like Shaku Zulu, but I don't think they're that big a deal.
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2014, 07:00 PM   #23
the G-man
Commodore

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post

The entire run? I remember NUVO, must have been Lt Calletano and Jesus Martinez that caught their market niche screen, was showing the first couple of seasons only.
It wasn't NUVO. It was some "oldies" cable station up in the triple digits. I don't know if they did entire runs insofar as I changed cable packages a few months in and no longer had the channel.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 11:55 PM   #24
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

These people act as if Shout Factory doesn't have to deal with music publishing companies or with the individuals that own the music used in many of the older shows,
Well, in the first place, none of the instances I cited above had anything to do with music related issues. One of them dealt with an incompetent video transfer, and others with Shout offering inferior quality episodes on a set after being deceitful and dishonest aforehand as to the quality of those episodes.

So they sit on their bums and complain about how they've been betrayed by Shout Factory and other home video companies, when in certain cases like that of the (IMHO) non-debacle centered around the music of The Fugitive DVD sets (Season 2 & 3) being replaced by new music, they really should be going after the rights holder companies/individuals that control said music pieces and giving them a piece of their minds and also telling them to be not so greedy (the same should also go with the executives at the studios as well, and they should also go after the local TV stations and tell them to stop showing infomercials and start showing the reruns that they're supposed to be showing.)

“Non-debacle?” The issue of the music on the original DVD issue of The Fugitive was one of the greatest debacles in the history of DVD television series releases, for both the fans of the show and ultimately for Paramount/CBS, who wound up having to sink way more money into the project than they would have had they released the series properly in the first place.
Imagine this scenario: go back to when Paramount is releasing Star Trek the original series for the first time ever on DVD. Imagine that those DVDs come out, and it turns out that the original music scored for those episodes by Alexander Courage, Fred Steiner, George Dunning, Gerald Fried, et. al. has been replaced by a score consisting of some synthesizer music drummed up by some hack musician. And if the end credits of each episode were altered to replace the name of the original composer with the hack musician. Do you think fans of the original Star Trek would have stood for that for one second? If that had happened, would you still call it a “non-debacle”? I don’t know, maybe you would.
And again, the whole thing about the music replacement on The Fugitive was not so much that it happened as that Paramount did it in an extremely sneaky, underhanded way, making no public announcement about it prior to release and refusing to respond pubically to the public criticism in its aftermath.
Those of us who “sat on our bums and complained” forced Paramount to eventually re-release The Fugitive with the original score intact. What have those of you who have sat on their buns and complained about US done, other than hamper our efforts to preserve classic television the way it was meant to be seen?

I'd say that you should ignore posters like Shaku Zulu, but I don't think they're that big a deal.
Actually, I'd love to have the incidental music replaced in the original Star Trek (not the theme, obviously) as an experiment. I would love to see what a modern synthesizer composer (say, Christopher Franke, the composer for Babylon 5) would do with TOS, or even TNG. Why not? There is a precedent for this; people have composed different soundtracks for films like Metropolis, Birth Of A Nation, and Nosferatu (this last one done by a local impresario in Toronto to Radiohead's Kid A album, which he shows at his cinema/house.) All that it would take is being open minded, but being close-minded is all that people can be, I guess.

The complaining (which in most instances consisted of death threats and nasty insults issued to executives and reviewers) didn't really accomplish anything beyond The Fugitive being issued on DVD and likely nothing else older except for Star Trek, Perry Mason, Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Mission: Impossible, Hawaii Five-O and I Love Lucy plus some more recent shows being on DVD. What was accomplished other than making Paramount leery of doing old shows?

Last edited by Shaka Zulu; January 30 2014 at 10:26 PM.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2014, 12:19 AM   #25
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

Actually, I'd love to have the incidental music replaced in the original Star Trek (not the theme, obviously) as an experiment.
You're talking about an experiment that would be available for optional purchase in addition to the current releases with all the original music. That's a LOT different. I assume you would not promote the idea that it should be released as THE official release of the entire original series without warning as a surprise for the fans?
Old January 30 2014, 10:31 PM   #26
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
I assume you would not promote the idea that it should be released as THE official release of the entire original series without warning as a surprise for the fans?
Why not? I'd offer it on Blu-Ray DVD with the option to hear the original soundtrack, the same way the Star Trek:TOS redo was offered with the option to see the original unaltered version.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2014, 11:59 PM   #27
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

The complaining (which in most instances consisted of death threats and nasty insults issued to executives and reviewers) didn't really accomplish anything beyond The Fugitive being issued on DVD and likely nothing else older except for Star Trek, Perry Mason, Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Mission: Impossible, Hawaii Five-O and I Love Lucy plus some more recent shows being on DVD. What was accomplished other than making Paramount leery of doing old shows?
While I certainly don't condone the use of death threats, if I had been responsible for something like the Fugitive music atrocity, I would certainly expect to receive them. And whatever "nasty insults" the perpetrators of such a betrayal of the public trust received were well and fully deserved.
As to this whole "Let's not make the companies mad my criticizing them, they might stop releasing old shows altogether!" line of argument - well, there's a term for individuals who adopt such an attitude. It was originally coined by a Miss Harriet Beecher Stowe as part of the title of a novel she wrote in the 1850's. (Although Stowe's titular character was noble and self-sacrificing in her original book, the term has come to be identified with those who act with fawning sympathy towards individuals in power in order to curry favor with them.)
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 01:20 AM   #28
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
I assume you would not promote the idea that it should be released as THE official release of the entire original series without warning as a surprise for the fans?
Why not? I'd offer it on Blu-Ray DVD with the option to hear the original soundtrack, the same way the Star Trek:TOS redo was offered with the option to see the original unaltered version.
"The option." That's how I would do it. It's a nice idea. But the comparison between The Fugitive and your increasingly hypothetical experimental Star Trek release still fails because there was apparently no option for the misrepresented The Fugitive release until significant complaint. The hypothetical experimental release still does not equally compare to The Fugitive, so the example is pretty much a paper tiger.
Old January 31 2014, 04:05 PM   #29
J.T.B.
Commodore

While I certainly don't condone the use of death threats, if I had been responsible for something like the Fugitive music atrocity, I would certainly expect to receive them. And whatever "nasty insults" the perpetrators of such a betrayal of the public trust received were well and fully deserved.
As to this whole "Let's not make the companies mad my criticizing them, they might stop releasing old shows altogether!" line of argument - well, there's a term for individuals who adopt such an attitude. It was originally coined by a Miss Harriet Beecher Stowe as part of the title of a novel she wrote in the 1850's. (Although Stowe's titular character was noble and self-sacrificing in her original book, the term has come to be identified with those who act with fawning sympathy towards individuals in power in order to curry favor with them.)
I don't see the drama. If a company misrepresents its product, I agree that is serious and should have significant ramifications for them. If the video release was not misrepresented and simply doesn't meet your expectations, you get your money back. But when the mere possibility of a home video set not meeting ones expectations is considered worse than having HIV, that's a whole different level than I'm operating on.

It's been seven years since Fox Video decided not to release HSB seasons 3 through 7 on DVD. That's plenty of time for someone to negotiate home video or streaming rights, and Shout!Factory has apparently been the one to put the deal together. As I said before, I have other sets from the company and have been satisfied. If the HSB release is substandard I'll get my money back and be no worse off than before.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 05:05 PM   #30
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Todd seems to have his hyperbole generator dialed up to 11. Releasing The Fugitive without the original music is a "betrayal of the public trust"?

The NSA tracking our phone calls for no good reason is a betrayal of the public trust. Congress holding the nation's good faith and credit hostage to make a political point is a betrayal of the public trust. Ignoring a national health crisis in the 1980s because gay sex made certain politicians feel icky was a betrayal of the public trust. Substituted music on a DVD... yeah, not so much.

The "Uncle Tom" reference: not very cool, either.

Last edited by cardinal biggles; January 31 2014 at 09:40 PM.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote