Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 25 2014, 11:46 PM   #31
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Re: Stargate SG1: How does everyone speak English?

^
The Ancients were pissed enough at the Goa'uld that they left their language out of the DHD on purpose.

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Works for me!
Thanks, of course I pulled that out of my behind. I didn't read the novel.
No worries, that's what I figured. This is all pulled out of our respective orifices as far as I'm concerned. MacLeod's technicality proves it.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 05:04 AM   #32
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Does that novel cover how the Abydonians, Teal'c, and some of the Chulak prisoners spoke English in COTG?
Not that I remember. It's just a small bit at the beginning, really; it's not a novel about translation mechanics.
Old January 27 2014, 09:25 AM   #33
Jono
Rear Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
It's the novel Cost of Honor that explains it, which takes place between "The Enemy Within" and "Emancipation." At first SG-1 doesn't understand the other languages (as in the film and "Children of the God"), but when they travel from a stargate with a DHD to another planet (so neither terminus is Earth), they begin to perceive everyone as speaking in English. Daniel and Sam suggest it's a software function of the DHDs, and Sam implies she'll analyze a DHD and add the program to the Earth 'gate.

Then why is Daniel the only one that knows Goua'ld and why do the Jaffa still speak it at time and not others?
It was probably programmed by the same person who did Starfleet's universal translators. They tended to do the same thing, especially with Klingonese, where they would for no reason at all just not translate words or entire phrases and force someone, likely Worf, to translate it for everyone else.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2014, 10:28 AM   #34
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Jono wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
It's the novel Cost of Honor that explains it, which takes place between "The Enemy Within" and "Emancipation." At first SG-1 doesn't understand the other languages (as in the film and "Children of the God"), but when they travel from a stargate with a DHD to another planet (so neither terminus is Earth), they begin to perceive everyone as speaking in English. Daniel and Sam suggest it's a software function of the DHDs, and Sam implies she'll analyze a DHD and add the program to the Earth 'gate.
Then why is Daniel the only one that knows Goua'ld and why do the Jaffa still speak it at time and not others?
It was probably programmed by the same person who did Starfleet's universal translators. They tended to do the same thing, especially with Klingonese, where they would for no reason at all just not translate words or entire phrases and force someone, likely Worf, to translate it for everyone else.
The universal translator read the script, just like the doors, which always knew when someone really wanted to leave, or when they just wanted to deliver a speech directly in front of the door before making a dramatic exit.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote