RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,702
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 395
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old January 26 2014, 02:28 AM   #331
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: You know what really irks me about "Insurrection"?

I saw it once in theaters and it was one of the first DVDs I picked up...to be clear, this was before DVDs had really taken off as well. Nemesis hadn't even been made yet. I've watched it a few times, though not recently.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 05:01 AM   #332
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

urbandefault wrote: View Post
I'm curious.

How many people who hate Insurrection paid to see it multiple times in the theater? How many bought it on VHS? DVD? Blu Ray? How many have bought it on all formats?

I ask because if someone hated the movie so much, why spend all that money on it? To complete a collection? To be able to complain about the details on this BBS?

Just asking, no agenda.
I saw it once in the theater. Never bought it on any format. I did end up seeing it again at my dad's house, though, while my dad was watching it.
Old January 26 2014, 10:33 AM   #333
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

I'm curious.

How many people who hate Insurrection paid to see it multiple times in the theater? How many bought it on VHS? DVD? Blu Ray? How many have bought it on all formats?

I ask because if someone hated the movie so much, why spend all that money on it? To complete a collection? To be able to complain about the details on this BBS?

Just asking, no agenda.
I got the then (10) movie complete set.

And just because I point out lots of faults in INS doesn't mean I won't watch it when they show it on TV.
I got as many complaints about TWOK and its my favourite movie ever. Its just that the pluses in TWOK way outweigh the minuses.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 02:42 PM   #334
Kev72
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just watched Insurrection on Friday; I like it. Not the best Trek, but definitely watchable.
Kev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 03:37 PM   #335
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I'm curious.

Just asking, no agenda.
I saw it once in the theater. Never bought it on any format. I did end up seeing it again at my dad's house, though, while my dad was watching it.
I never made it to the theater. The previews made it look like ass.
Old January 26 2014, 07:41 PM   #336
sonak
Vice Admiral

I saw it in a theater when it came out, and I own it as part of the TNG movie collection, but INS, along with TMP are the two Trek movies that I watch the least of those that I own.

Although, when I first saw Insurrection in theaters, I thought it was decent. It's one of those movies that as you watch it more and think about it more, it becomes worse and worse.
Old January 26 2014, 10:27 PM   #337
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

BillJ wrote: View Post
You know what's funny is that my dad, a huge Trekker, went with me to the theater to see it. When we saw it again on TV some years later, he didn't remember ever seeing it. That's how memorable that movie was.
Old January 27 2014, 12:27 AM   #338
sonak
Vice Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
You know what's funny is that my dad, a huge Trekker, went with me to the theater to see it. When we saw it again on TV some years later, he didn't remember ever seeing it. That's how memorable that movie was.

indeed- SFdebris calls Insurrection the "Franklin Pierce" of Star Trek movies precisely because it's the most forgettable of the bunch. Not hated enough to be memorable like TFF or Nemesis and not nearly good enough to be remembered fondly.
Old January 27 2014, 12:54 AM   #339
urbandefault
Captain

I really don't think it's that bad. I rather like it.

(I like TFF too, but not crazy about NEM--if that makes any difference here.)
Old January 27 2014, 12:57 AM   #340
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

TFF and INS can be a fun watch, cause they're bad movies but would have made half-way decent episodes of the shows. NEM is just bad all the way around.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2014, 01:02 AM   #341
urbandefault
Captain

SeerSGB wrote: View Post

TFF and INS can be a fun watch, cause they're bad movies but would have made half-way decent episodes of the shows. NEM is just bad all the way around.
Maybe what sets me apart here is that I just enjoy the movies for what they are.
Old January 27 2014, 04:32 AM   #342
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

Maybe what sets me apart here is that I just enjoy the movies for what they are.
With all three, (TFF, INS, NEM) they don't feel like movies. There's just something missing that makes them feel like repurposed TV scripts or something that's a TV two-parter. With INS it really sticks out cause the same sort of story had been before in Trek--and done better.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2014, 02:29 PM   #343
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but this kind of statement bugs the hell out of me. It's basically like saying that all criticisms of all works are invalid because you can always excuse any work by saying "it is what it is". That doesn't really leave much room for intelligent discussion of...well, anything, really. Rant over.
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2014, 05:30 PM   #344
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I think I'll take a middle position here. For instance, there's Army of Darkness, which is hardly the greatest film ever made, but given the right set of circumstances is quite an enjoyable romp.

Then there's INS, which...I might watch if I wanted a pretty mild and mildly annoying romp.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2014, 05:43 PM   #345
urbandefault
Captain

AgentCoop wrote: View Post
I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but this kind of statement bugs the hell out of me. It's basically like saying that all criticisms of all works are invalid because you can always excuse any work by saying "it is what it is". That doesn't really leave much room for intelligent discussion of...well, anything, really. Rant over.
Please don't misunderstand. It's not you, it's me. I just don't see past the surface on these things. If you do, fine. Congratulations, even. More power to ya. Some people can, and some can't. I'm one of those who can't.