Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 25 2014, 11:29 AM   #76
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Who wants to see a TAS Remasered project?

CG attempting to ape RL never works. Even if they could pump £100,000,000 per episode into Creepy Young Jeff Bridges From Tron-style CG's of the TOS crew, I'd prefer my animation stylized.
Old January 26 2014, 02:07 AM   #77
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Stylized is fine with me as long as body parts aren't ridiculously out of proportion.
Old January 27 2014, 12:42 AM   #78
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post
^^ Nix to those examples.
Have you even seen Star Trek Aurora? Or any anime? The art styles shown on the anime shows I've mentioned fit Star Trek like a glove, even more so than the hot artist that you guys and gals think could and should do a Star Trek animated show. The styles shown in said hot artist's blog look way too cartoony for me and aren't even as good as the ones made by some of the posters here on their own.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2014, 01:10 AM   #79
Warped9
Admiral

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
Have you even seen Star Trek Aurora? Or any anime? The art styles shown on the anime shows I've mentioned fit Star Trek like a glove, even more so than the hot artist that you guys and gals think could and should do a Star Trek animated show. The styles shown in said hot artist's blog look way too cartoony for me and aren't even as good as the ones made by some of the posters here on their own.
You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.
Old January 27 2014, 03:28 AM   #80
Maurice
Vice Admiral

A lot of TV anime is nearly as much "illustrated radio" as Filmation's stuff was, so I don't see how that would be much improvement other than embracing an art style that some people happen to like.

As to Aurora, it's pretty but fairly robotic in the animation.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2014, 04:03 AM   #81
Warped9
Admiral

Even with more fluid motion I don't think I'd want to recreate Filmation's style for a new TAS. I think better could be done.
Old February 2 2014, 06:54 PM   #82
GarrettCRW
Cadet

Send a message via AIM to GarrettCRW Send a message via Yahoo to GarrettCRW

I don't think I can possibly emphasize how bad of an idea I think this is, to "re-do" a show by a studio that has been dead for a quarter of a century, especially one that has been dragged through the mud as Filmation. (FUN FACT: Star Trek is one of the few Filmation shows you can get on DVD that isn't some combination of edited, time-compressed, or poorly restored with DVNR.)

What gets my goat, though, is that I have a feeling that CBS would like to indulge in this idea. They already changed the sound effects to "More Tribbles, More Troubles" to "fit" TOS on the Season 2 Blu-ray "Tribbles disc" with effects (the photon torpedo sound, for one) that Filmation only acquired for their effects library some time after TAS ended.
GarrettCRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 09:26 PM   #83
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Count me as one that would be interested in the series being updated with modern animation. I'd even like to see an episode re-voiced by the actors involved with the current films. *ducks*

But I would also want the original unaltered episodes included on any release.
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 05:46 AM   #84
PCz911
Lieutenant Commander

mythme wrote: View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBx-kqrm_zg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZT_qg0jH0U

Here are two trailers from the game. You can get a definite feel for it, especially in the second one. The computer animation for the game wasn't bad, more so in light that it was done 15 years ago.
Wow! This was very cool. Thanks for sharing. Pity the game was never made.
PCz911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 06:01 AM   #85
PCz911
Lieutenant Commander

spockboy wrote: View Post
Here is a full length (rarely seen) new TAS episode called "Return to Triskelion" using the TAS style with proper TOS music (mostly) and a CG Enterprise and
new voice actors doing the original TOS actors (as someone had mentioned)
https://vimeo.com/4438987

Wow! Well done. Thanks for sharing!
PCz911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 02:51 AM   #86
Danlav05
Commander

Maurice wrote: View Post
Having worked in video and computer games since the late 80s I can tell you that:
  1. Stuff gets lost all the time, especially old files for abandoned projects
  2. Writers rarely have any say in how the work is used. Most of it is "work for hire". We pay you once. You do it. We do what we want with it (within the restrictions/approvals of any licenses).
  3. Since the game was never finished and the Trek game licenses are with other companies, to do anything with this material you'd have to
    • find it
    • pay whoever owns the recordings to release it to you (unless the rights to the actual data lapsed back to Paramount, depending on the contract)
    • get a new license to use those tracks and story in a new product
I've commented on SECRET OF VULCAN FURY before and I passionately would love to see if the material does still exist. Now the files would be owned by Interplay which was sold to a French company I think.

The first thing you would need to do is find out where it is IF it still exists. That would mean someone exploring all possible avenues and breaking down barriers to speak to possible contacts. If [god forbid] the files don't exists, try and find out where it all ended up in t he very last instant.

As a Doctor Who fan I have followed the story of episodes found again from foreign stations or private collectors after the BBC burnt hundreds of original copies in the 70s, believing that in the new world of Colour Television no one would give a toss about the black and white stuff. Of course now people ARE interested in the world of repeats, VHS and now DVD.

If the files exist somewhere and can be located in an archive or something (or easier if the Director/Producer has spares in a box in the attic!) then they would need to be bought, either privately or through CBS - ANYTHING commercial be it a game or DVD/blu-ray/Cartoon Network special will have to go through the rights holders.

Of course it would be a wonderful find and hopefully someone with time and resources will care to go looking - this is potentially a feature-length project with the entire cast of TOS some in their final appearances (though I hear Deforest Kelley unfortunately had to be replaced due to ill health) as lead actors.

If not then maybe D.C. Fontana could adapt the story into another form? This isn't just an 'unmade' project this sis something that was started, maybe someone could research into how much work was actually completed. The videos and pictures on TrekCore are stunning, and if there is a final product I hope some of that vision is preserved.
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 02:37 PM   #87
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
No interest whatsoever. TAS is simply an oddity to me.
TAS would've worked for me if the animation was done in Japan by the same studio that did Science Ninja Team Gatchaman (aka Battle of the Planets in North America and Europe) or the same studio that did Macross (Robotech in North America and Europe) and shown in prime time on a TV network; as it is, it works slightly for me, but not much.
While I love the vintage work of Tatsunoko, it would have been a bad fit for Star Trek.

When adapting live action with characters / actors as universally recognized as the TOS crew, the goal (outside of being a faithful spin-off) is to capture the essence of the actors. One of the reasons TAS quickly eased pre-release fears was the combination of a straightforward capture of actor likeness combined with a style that was not too much of a departure from the live work (unlike Filmation's My Favorite Martians or Hanna-Barbera's Jeannie).

In 1973, Tatsunoko had a defined style (as seen in Gatchaman the previous year). I doubt the studio would have taken another approach in dealing with ST, so I have a strong feeling the usual, large eyed, somewhat exaggerated anatomy would have been force-fit over ST, rather than the style fitting the need of the content.