Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old January 26 2014, 09:31 PM   #796
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Re: NFL Discussion - 2013 Season

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
And Sherman was reacting to Crabtree shoving him in the face mask.
Oh, I'm well-aware that there's a two way street of douchieness here. As far as I'm concerned the Seahawks and 49ers are rivals that deserve each other. It's just too bad that when they play they both can't lose. Watching them lose Super Bowls back-to-back though would be a fine consolation prize
Old January 27 2014, 12:35 AM   #797
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Crabtree was the total douche when he whacked a man in the face for holding out a friendly hand. That's on video. Sherman's reaction was understandable.
Old January 27 2014, 12:52 AM   #798
Use of Time
Commodore

Crabtree was the total douche when he whacked a man in the face for holding out a friendly hand. That's on video. Sherman's reaction was understandable.
You have got to be kidding me. That was the most disingenuous attempt at sportsmanship I've ever seen. Sherman told him something to the effect of "good game but I'm the best corner in the league." Look I'm no hater of Sherman but lets not distort the story of that game to the point where he is this greatly misunderstood soul. The two don't like each other. Shit talking and hilarity ensued. End of storyl
Old January 27 2014, 02:42 AM   #799
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

The media showed the exchange with audio. Feel free to look it up.
Old January 27 2014, 02:55 AM   #800
Use of Time
Commodore

Well unless Sherman is a liar I don't need to. The quote I got came from him explaining what he said to Crabtree. Maybe he was embellishing the exchange a little bit? I don't know. Most athletes just want to be left alone after having their hearts ripped out on a game ending play. Sherman knows that and had a little fun trolling Crabtree. Not a big deal but it is what it is.
Old January 27 2014, 04:44 AM   #801
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Yoda wrote: View Post
But what do we really have to compare it with? Got any other examples of NFL players screaming about how bad opposing players are right after a victory in a postgame interview?
No, and that is what was so refreshing about it. Post game interviews are usually as exciting as a PAT, but Sherman took it another level. Bravo.
And how is it that Sherman was surprised at the reaction he got? He's got a Communications degree from Stanford after all,, you'd think he'd have some concept of how it would come across *shrug*
He's never before won a NFC championship. If this were the regular season, with a another slate of games exactly 7 days after his little rant, it would have been forgotten. But because his rant occurred a week before the Super Bowl hype machine went into full effect, it is still the biggest NFL story. I could maybe see the hand wringing and pearl clutching if Sheman had used profanity and threatened someone, but that didn;t happen.

Sherman's biggest mistake was coming across as "scary black man" to many Americans and he is suffering the consequences.
Old January 27 2014, 07:06 AM   #802
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

If a small shove like that is enough to send Sherman off the deep end (throwing the choking sign around, going full psycho in the interview, and spending the rest of the evening insulting "mediocre" Crabtree), he must have some pretty damn thin skin. For the amount of talking he does, I would have thought he'd be tougher than that.

Regardless of what he said, you don't go up to someone you have issues with, swat them on the ass, and start jawing with them and then expect any sort of different reaction. Not saying Crabtree was right, but Sherman should have expected nothing less. Sherman is either dumber than everyone gives him credit for or he was intentionally baiting Crabtree. Take your pick. Just bear in mind that this isn't a guy who has necessarily developed a reputation as a gracious winner (Anyone remember "You mad, bro?!" ?).

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old January 27 2014, 08:16 AM   #803
Davros
Fleet Admiral

I have to laugh when I think of the few people that told me Denver should have kept Tim Tebow. I have not heard any of that kind of talk lately for some reason.
Old January 27 2014, 12:27 PM   #804
Aragorn
Admiral

Davros wrote: View Post
I have to laugh when I think of the few people that told me Denver should have kept Tim Tebow. I have not heard any of that kind of talk lately for some reason.
Some radio talk show host I heard on ESPN summed it up best when he said the people rooting for Tebow to be a starting QB in the NFL were doing it for completely non-football reasons.
Old January 27 2014, 01:02 PM   #805
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Did people think they should have kept Tebow even after they signed Peyton Manning? I agree that would be stupid. However, I also would have liked to see him get a chance with another team simply because he won in the playoffs. While I have no doubt others have been motivated by non-football reasons, that's certainly not true with me.
Old January 27 2014, 03:40 PM   #806
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Did people think they should have kept Tebow even after they signed Peyton Manning? I agree that would be stupid. However, I also would have liked to see him get a chance with another team simply because he won in the playoffs.
Tebow won in the playoffs by lofting up a wounded duck that should have been picked. If Demaryius Thomas hadn't turned on the jets, that play goes nowhere.
Old January 27 2014, 04:21 PM   #807
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

While it could have been interesting to see if Tebow could have picked anything up from Manning, it was best that they sent him off. Nobody knew the condition of Manning, but you just know that the fans would have been calling for Tebow after the first rough game. Also, Tebow would have made a terrible backup for Manning- their play styles are way too different. Denver would have needed a Manning playbook and a Tebow playbook, because they couldn't just plug Tebow in if Manning went down.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old January 27 2014, 06:13 PM   #808
Scout101
Admiral

See what happens if Peyton retires after winning a superbowl (or if he retires because of the neck checkup even if he loses). This is a short window either way without a backup plan, so once Manning takes off, may want Tebow back again after all

well, probably not, but either way, Broncos are going to go from #1 back to the middle pretty quickly. If not this spring, likely next.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old January 27 2014, 06:23 PM   #809
tighr
Commodore

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Well unless Sherman is a liar I don't need to. The quote I got came from him explaining what he said to Crabtree.
Explaining what he said after the fact and what he actually said are two different things. Here's the actual clip (fast forward to about :47 to see the actual exchange).

Sherman runs up to Crabtree, smacks him on the butt (common for football players, and not a sign of disrespect), and says "Hell of a game, hell of a game!" before reaching a hand out for a handshake. Nothing nefarious at all.

He may not be the biggest fan of Crabtree outside of the stadium, but in that stadium there was no jawing with Crabtree. He quite literally ran up to him after the game, extended his hand for a shake, and was pushed in the head. An official came up to separate them, but the damage had been done. I believe AFTER this (when Sherman is now pissed) is when he does the throat choke sign towards Kaepernick (not Crabtree), and gets fined by the league.

When looking at the video evidence, what I see is a guy who went for a post-game handshake.
Old January 27 2014, 08:49 PM   #810
Yoda
Rear Admiral

C'mon now, he chased him down to taunt him. That's not some kind of traditional post-game handshake