Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: Do you want to see a reboot of TOS for the next show?
Yes, I'd like to see Kirk & Spock (or other next gen crew) again on TV. 17 19.54%
Maybe... it depends on _____. 5 5.75%
No, I'd like to see a new crew. 65 74.71%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 25 2014, 02:35 PM   #46
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: TV: A reboot or a new crew?

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Pondwater wrote: View Post
No reboot, New crew.
No new crew; reboot.
Oh that is going to be lame pretty soon.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 08:55 PM   #47
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

No reboot, New crew.
No new crew; reboot.
Again?

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 11:48 PM   #48
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
No reboot, New crew.
No new crew; reboot.
Again?
Yep. We've got six hundred plus hours of "new crew" and less than a hundred featuring TOS characters.
Old January 26 2014, 07:35 AM   #49
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

If, gods forbid, the PTB did decide to reboot, then I would want Nu-NuTOS to be a total reboot, to throw in things and make changes rather than just rehashing the same stuff with different actors.

For example: make Kirk bisexual, turn Pavel Chekov into Pavla Chekova and make her the security chief, have Ilia in from the beginning, do away with the miniskirts or have TNG-style skants for the men (with main male characters wearing them from time to time), make it more of an ensemble series rather than just Kirk/Spock/McCoy, have at least twenty alien races (including humans) represented in all group scenes.
Old January 26 2014, 07:48 AM   #50
Skywalker
Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
If, gods forbid, the PTB did decide to reboot, then I would want Nu-NuTOS to be a total reboot, to throw in things and make changes rather than just rehashing the same stuff with different actors.

For example: make Kirk bisexual, turn Pavel Chekov into Pavla Chekova and make her the security chief, have Ilia in from the beginning, do away with the miniskirts or have TNG-style skants for the men (with main male characters wearing them from time to time), make it more of an ensemble series rather than just Kirk/Spock/McCoy, have at least twenty alien races (including humans) represented in all group scenes.
If you're going to change the characters so much you might as well just create new ones.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 04:46 PM   #51
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post

If you're going to change the characters so much you might as well just create new ones.
Exactly.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 04:53 PM   #52
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
No new crew; reboot.
Again?
Yep. We've got six hundred plus hours of "new crew" and less than a hundred featuring TOS characters.
Don't you want something new? How many times can you watch the continuing missions of the starship Enterprise and its brash captain, unemotional commander caught between two worlds, racist country doctor, and the rest? It's been done twice now. I don't want to see it a third time.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 06:12 PM   #53
BillJ
Admiral

Don't you want something new? How many times can you watch the continuing missions of the starship Enterprise and its brash captain, unemotional commander caught between two worlds, racist country doctor, and the rest? It's been done twice now. I don't want to see it a third time.
Since there has been about 18 hours of material featuring those characters since 1979 (34 years), I'm all for seeing some more. For me, the TOS gang is nowhere near wearing out their welcome.
Old January 26 2014, 08:46 PM   #54
Use of Time
Commodore

Since there has been about 18 hours of material featuring those characters since 1979 (34 years), I'm all for seeing some more. For me, the TOS gang is nowhere near wearing out their welcome.
Between Trek literature, TOS, TAS and the movies (+ Abrams movies); I have processed every nuance of those characters lives from their Academy days, the lost years, two five year missions to retirement and beyond. I know you are a Kirk and Spock guy at heart but it is a little bit disingenuous to simply count TV hours and pretend like their story has played second fiddle to other crews in the Trek universe.

That being said, I could probably handle another reboot to the TOS crew on TV but I would prefer it to have some connection with the Abrams movies in some way. It would be nice not to have to separate what Trek universe I am watching.
Old January 26 2014, 10:35 PM   #55
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Don't you want something new?
"Something new" wouldn't be something based on a fifty-year-old television series. If what you want is something new, then turn to something, well... actually new.
Old January 26 2014, 11:12 PM   #56
BillJ
Admiral

Use of Time wrote: View Post

Between Trek literature, TOS, TAS and the movies (+ Abrams movies); I have processed every nuance of those characters lives from their Academy days, the lost years, two five year missions to retirement and beyond. I know you are a Kirk and Spock guy at heart but it is a little bit disingenuous to simply count TV hours and pretend like their story has played second fiddle to other crews in the Trek universe.
To general audiences who don't inhale every single bit of merchandise, Kirk and Spock are the most underutilized elements of the franchise outside of Star Trek: Enterprise, yet are still the most identifiable part of it.

And if we start in 1987 when TNG premiered, there is about ten-hours of material featuring Kirk and Spock. Yet they are still the most identifiable part of the franchise.

At the end of the day, for me, Kirk and Spock are Star Trek. They always have been. I've went down the spin-off road, watched them all. Ultimately, the spin-offs were mostly forgettable.

"Something new" wouldn't be something based on a fifty-year-old television series. If what you want is something new, then turn to something, well... actually new.
Exactly.
Old January 26 2014, 11:18 PM   #57
Starfury
Commander

New old Trek or new new trek - it really doesn't matter. Fans are going to pick it apart anyway.
Old January 27 2014, 12:41 AM   #58
Use of Time
Commodore

To general audiences who don't inhale every single bit of merchandise, Kirk and Spock are the most underutilized elements of the franchise outside of Star Trek: Enterprise, yet are still the most identifiable part of it.

And if we start in 1987 when TNG premiered, there is about ten-hours of material featuring Kirk and Spock. Yet they are still the most identifiable part of the franchise.

At the end of the day, for me, Kirk and Spock are Star Trek. They always have been. I've went down the spin-off road, watched them all. Ultimately, the spin-offs were mostly forgettable.

Exactly.
Agree with Kelthaz here BillJ but you pretty much made my point for me with the other stuff. Calling TNG "forgettable" is beyond lazy though. Just we need, another guy that gets to tell others what Star Trek "is." Gotta love em.
Old January 27 2014, 01:42 AM   #59
BillJ
Admiral

Just we need, another guy that gets to tell others what Star Trek "is." Gotta love em.
Somehow you completely missed (intentionally or not, who knows?) the "for me" part of my statement. You also deemed to leave out the "mostly" in my statement about the spin-offs being forgettable.
Old January 27 2014, 01:58 AM   #60
Use of Time
Commodore

Just we need, another guy that gets to tell others what Star Trek "is." Gotta love em.
Somehow you completely missed (intentionally or not, who knows?) the "for me" part of my statement. You also deemed to leave out the "mostly" in my statement about the spin-offs being forgettable.
I actually did miss that first part. My apologies. I've just noticed a tendency with you to try to slam other shows whenever someone criticizes TOS. I don't know why you feel the need to constantly do that. Sorry, I'm more pissy than usual this week. My wife is battling pneumonia and I'm trying to work from home while the kids are driving us up a wall today.