TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

View Poll Results: Kotor 1 vs 2
Kotor 1 16 80.00%
Kotor 2 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 26 2014, 02:35 PM   #1
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

Kotor 1 vs 2

So, out of these two games, which one do you like more?

I prefer Kotor 1. 2 had way too many bugs, and I didn't like the companions and the story that much.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 04:24 PM   #2
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Re: Kotor 1 vs 2

Knights of the Old Republic was a classic [I]Star Wars/I] tale of good versus evil, presented in an exceptional manner.

KOTOR II: The Sith Lords presented a more ambitious, more mature tale about how what you think is good and what you think is evil may not be as clear-cut as as the typical SW morality would lead its characters to believe.

TSL (with the Restored Content Mod, naturally) is my preferred game among the two, but of course you don't get it without the success of the first one. I love them both, but for different reasons.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 04:57 PM   #3
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist

KOTOR 1, which us basically a remake of the first Star Wars movie. The sequel was great, if I recall, but it was something of a retread and seemed to rely on pretty much retconning out the events of the first game.
Old January 26 2014, 05:06 PM   #4
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Don't think I've played kotor 2 since it came out. I remember it being pretty spectacularly disappointing. You play the last of the jedi on a mission from a jedi to find four other jedi. Because being the last of something sounds cool, I guess. Also you're some kind of nonsensical echo wound thing or something.

I'll take the first one any day. The story won't win any awards for originality, but it was fun, and there was no point where I wasn't clear on where I was, what I was doing or why I was doing it.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 05:16 PM   #5
Mr Light
Admiral

First one by a mile. Better story, better characters, better settings, and the most amazing plot twist ever in video games. Except for maybe something in Bioshock

I don't remember the second one very well but I remember not really caring about the characters and all the settings being dead and depressing. Also the thing that REALLY pissed me off was the way they wrote off Revan off-screen, promising some huge future story that never materialized.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 05:50 PM   #6
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Well
Revan's and the Exile's story concludes (sort of) in The Old Republic MMO.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 06:05 PM   #7
MacLeod
Admiral

In terms of story I'd have to go with the first one.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 07:22 PM   #8
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I personally enjoyed KotOR 2 significantly more than KotOR 1. I found the characters more interesting, the storey more complex and compelling and I liked that the ambiguity regarding the antagonists, both in terms of their motivations and identities. On balance I found KotOR 1 to be somewhat overrated.

In the interests of fairness however, there are a couple factors that should be taken into account regarding that opinion. First off I didn't play either game until just a few years ago, so by which point I'd heard a lot of praise for the first game and a lot of negativity regarding the sequel. As a result I felt KotOR was more than a little overrated while KotOR 2 felt like a pleasant surprise. Also, "the" twist regarding Revan was already spoilt for me, so it had zero impact. And finally, knowing ahead of time that the game was a buggy mess, I installed the TSLRCM mod straight away, so I've never played KotOR 2 in the state in which it was released.

Despite all that though, I still think KotOR 2 deserves extra points for ambition and substance, even if the execution was hobbled by an unreasonably truncated development time. My only real complaint is that for an RPG, there's a disturbing amount of linearity and the ship got shot down or otherwise grounded *way* too often.

Last edited by Reverend; January 26 2014 at 09:39 PM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 08:18 PM   #9
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I only played the two games in the last year or so, and (like Reverend) I had installed the Restored Content Mod so I didn't experience the buggy and unfinished game that KOTOR 2 supposedly was at release. As such, I think the second game was better.

Firstly, let me just say that I did not like the combat system in the games. I appreciate that there are those that like that sort of turn-based system, but it just doesn't appeal to me. As such, I can't say that either game will be joining my list of favourite games. But I did enjoy the stories, role-play elements, and settings of both games.

Other than the twist, the first game tells a fairly generic Star Wars story. A hero rises, becomes a Jedi, defeats a great evil, and there's a celebratory party to finish. It was a tale well-told, and the twist was really good, but I kinda forgot the story in the year-long gap between playing it and the sequel.

KOTOR 2 tells a much more interesting story in my opinion. The whole game, I was unsure of who my friends and who my enemies were, and even whether or not I was doing the right thing. For my money, Kreia was easily the most interesting character in either game. Overall, it was a great deconstruction of the Star Wars universe and of RPGs themselves, and I don't imagine its story will fade from my memory in the same way that the first game's story did.
Old January 26 2014, 08:39 PM   #10
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yeah I wasn't much a fan of the combat system either. I've never really liked it when video games do such literal translations of pen & paper dice rolling systems. I mean the basic underlying systems, sure, but nothing takes me out of a combat experience like firing a blaster volley at an enemy stood out in the open not five meters away and having "miss-miss-miss-miss-miss" appear over their heads.

You get used to it though and it didn't stop me from finishing either game. I just prefer the way they approached combat in Mass Effect which is skill based and stat enhanced, rather than being all about the stats and d20 rolls.
Old January 26 2014, 08:59 PM   #11
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I liked the first much better. I found it more fun overall. The sequel tried to introduce an improved alignment system, but it was ultimately broken. For example, I've tried converting the Handmaiden to the Dark side, but it was impossible as she would reset, and you'd never know what would trigger the reset. It was very frustrating. In the end, I found the alignment system useless. It had so much potential. The one thing I liked about the sequel was revisiting some of the areas from the first.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 10:26 PM   #12
Mr Light
Admiral

I just remember the other great thing about the first game. I absolutely loved the backstory of the Infinite Empire and the secret origin of Tatooine. I thought that was so cool, and then discovering the ancient surviving members of that race at the end was really exciting.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2014, 12:01 PM   #13
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

Reverend wrote: View Post
Yeah I wasn't much a fan of the combat system either. I've never really liked it when video games do such literal translations of pen & paper dice rolling systems. I mean the basic underlying systems, sure, but nothing takes me out of a combat experience like firing a blaster volley at an enemy stood out in the open not five meters away and having "miss-miss-miss-miss-miss" appear over their heads.

You get used to it though and it didn't stop me from finishing either game. I just prefer the way they approached combat in Mass Effect which is skill based and stat enhanced, rather than being all about the stats and d20 rolls.
I agree that the combat system sucked. I never liked turn-based combat in video games, always preferred Skyrim/ FPS game combat.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2014, 01:13 PM   #14
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I don't mind turn-based combat in and of itself, I'm just not a fan of they way it was implemented for the KotOR games. For games like Fallout, Baldur's Gate, X-Com etc. it's perfectly suitable, but I think because it's more of a hybrid system--only the combat rolls rolls are turn based, not the movement--it feels off.

I think the cognitive dissonance comes from being free to move, but not free to aim and shoot on your own skill. Kind of an either/or situation I think.

Having said that, they had more or less the same hybrid system in 'Jade Empire' but I think it worked much better because it was a unique martial arts based combat.

As for the likes of Skyrim...it was serviceable enough and a significant improvement to how it felt in Oblivion & Morrowind, but the combat scaling system in those game always felt very strange to me. I often found myself vastly outclasses or totally OP. Never seemed to find that butter zone.
Old January 27 2014, 03:05 PM   #15
Jeyl
Commodore

KOTOR. I think Revan got off a lot better than the Exile. A pity because the Exile is one of those rare canonized female Star Wars game characters who, after the events of KOTOR2 is essentially reduced to a literal battery that keeps the more prominent male Revan alive for The Old Republic MMO. I've seen many stories where female characters are created just for the benefit of the male character, but never this literal.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote