RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,585
Posts: 5,515,299
Members: 25,156
Currently online: 468
Newest member: jerrlaro

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 26 2014, 02:20 AM   #1
Danlav05
Commander
 
Danlav05's Avatar
 
Location: Rutland UK
PRODUCTION: 23rd or 24th Centuries (and others either side)

This is not a thread to say which type of fan film I prefer - I love Phase II and Hidden Frontier/Intrepid, but I've noticed that a lot of films tend to go towards TOS and that's cool.

I guess I wanna talk about logistics, most TNG, or even movie era films are greenscreen made as the sets are a lot more sophisticated to replicate.

However a few fan groups have created TNG era set:

Borg War3: Atlantis [1998]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5nTL2Wu4F4

Defiant Syle Bridge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEUxwvYjwbo

Das Vermachtnis [halted in post-production - from 2.52 onwards; shuttle and bridge]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBfdpx_3d2s

I guess a TNG set is harder mainly because of the LCARS systems, and the richer furnishings. It's so sad that the Experience isn't in Vegas anymore because dare I say it there were potential ready-made sets!

Fans may know about Starbase Studios in Oklahoma City which houses an Enterprise bridge to use and of course Farragut Films and CEC/Retro Film studios have their own sets. There is, however, a reconstruction/restoration of the Enterprise-D bridge coming to a permanent museum, and they've already lent set pieces to Star Trek: Renegades. They do plan to be welcome for groups to film on.

I guess if I was doing my own film I'd want a physical set but I know it can be expensive - ANY era!! What do others feel about this? Could an interior replica of say Voyager exist someday?
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 03:20 AM   #2
DCR
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Wentworth Hall, Tellus of Sol
Re: PRODUCTION: 23rd or 24th Centuries (and others either side)

My problem with the 24th century episodes is that so many of the greenscreen systems don't work for me. I don't care for Hidden Frontier, but do like Intrepid a lot. On the whole I prefer full-size physical sets to anything, and I hope to someday see both a TNG and a Voyager set made available for filming.
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 09:42 AM   #3
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral
 
MauriceNavidad's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: PRODUCTION: 23rd or 24th Centuries (and others either side)

Actually, LCARS panels are some of the simplest things to do. All you need is to have the artworks printed on a transparency (at FedEx/Kinkos, whatnot) some smoked glass and a light. A lot easier than switches and blinking light boxes.
__________________
* * *
“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
― Winston S. Churchill
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 12:17 PM   #4
USS Intrepid
Commodore
 
USS Intrepid's Avatar
 
Location: Dundee, Scotland, UK
Re: PRODUCTION: 23rd or 24th Centuries (and others either side)

I prefer sets too. The only reason we don't have full sets is we simply don't have the resources. If we did, we'd build 'em. I don't think they'd be any more complex than TOS style sets, and I agree with Maurice's comments about the ease of making LCARS displays.

Money is really the only issue when it comes to sets.
__________________
Star Trek: Intrepid

Last edited by USS Intrepid; January 26 2014 at 01:12 PM.
USS Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 04:58 PM   #5
Barbreader
Fleet Captain
 
Location: New York, New York
View Barbreader's Twitter Profile
Re: PRODUCTION: 23rd or 24th Centuries (and others either side)

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
I prefer sets too. The only reason we don't have full sets is we simply don't have the resources. If we did, we'd build 'em. I don't think they'd be any more complex than TOS style sets, and I agree with Maurice's comments about the ease of making LCARS displays.

Money is really the only issue when it comes to sets.
I'm very excited about the decision by the folk in Oklahoma, Starbase Studios, http://starbasestudios.net/ , to separate their sets from their production. In response, in addition to the group those sets were designed to serve, they have had seven other fan film groups make plans to use those sets. If the users take good care of the sets and they or their fans make contributions to keep them available, it opens the possibility that somebody will decide to create t TNG bridge, or less ambitious, a Voyager type bridge. If those are well used, you may see a larger array of open use sets. I would expect the TNG or VOY sets to be built somewhere in Europe, either the UK or Germany, since most of the European fan films are from that era. (The UK produces both TOS and TNG-era films, while most nations produce predominately one or the other. E.g., most fan films out of Canada are TNG era films, most fan films out of the USA are TOS era films).

There is also a growing library of Fan-made Star Trek music that fan films can draw upon. The subtitle of this forum is actually becoming fact... resources are being assembled so that fans ... be they highly skilled or just enthusiastic... can try their hands at making their own Star Trek. How nice is that for those of us who enjoy watching these efforts? Truly, a happy day!
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 07:07 PM   #6
USS Intrepid
Commodore
 
USS Intrepid's Avatar
 
Location: Dundee, Scotland, UK
Re: PRODUCTION: 23rd or 24th Centuries (and others either side)

Well if it's not built anywhere near Dundee, any such set wouldn't be much help for us personally.

FWIW, a TNG style bridge would be much easier to do than a Voyager style.
__________________
Star Trek: Intrepid
USS Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 07:52 PM   #7
Barbreader
Fleet Captain
 
Location: New York, New York
View Barbreader's Twitter Profile
Re: PRODUCTION: 23rd or 24th Centuries (and others either side)

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
Well if it's not built anywhere near Dundee, any such set wouldn't be much help for us personally.

FWIW, a TNG style bridge would be much easier to do than a Voyager style.
I am ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you would know better than me!

I maintain my absolute cluelessness on such matters.

Oklahoma City is close to the geographic center of the 48 contiguous states, plus it's one of the less expensive cities in the nation, so it has some special aspects that make it a particularly good place for that set.

I don't know where the geographic center of England, Scotland and Wales would be, or how expensive those areas are with regard to rents and hotel rooms.

Ticonderoga is not expensive, but it's remote and not easy to get to.

The sets in Georgia are not remote or in an expensive location, but they are charging a non-trivial fee.

Hence, my focus on Oklahoma City.

Last edited by Barbreader; January 26 2014 at 08:03 PM.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 08:06 PM   #8
Danlav05
Commander
 
Danlav05's Avatar
 
Location: Rutland UK
Re: PRODUCTION: 23rd or 24th Centuries (and others either side)

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
Well if it's not built anywhere near Dundee, any such set wouldn't be much help for us personally.

FWIW, a TNG style bridge would be much easier to do than a Voyager style.
he Defiant seems easiest being small, Star Trek: Deception built a runabout.

The Enterprise-D has a simpler shape than Voyager - how hard would the Ent-E be to do? or simply design a new style bridge. The videogame Star Trek: BORG set during the Battle of Wolf 359 used a redressed Excelsior bridge from VOY: Flashback. I think Starship Farragut are building a movie era set - maybe that can be redressed for the TNG era and vice versa?

Then there's corridors, transporter room, sickbay etc. some areas would be easier than others!

I don't think I should mention DS9 lol space stations are big and difficult! Borg War 2: The Romulan Factor (not online) used an office block at night, outside it was pitch black, which was all silver and futuristic for a Starbase.
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 08:14 PM   #9
USS Intrepid
Commodore
 
USS Intrepid's Avatar
 
Location: Dundee, Scotland, UK
Re: PRODUCTION: 23rd or 24th Centuries (and others either side)

Barb, attitudes to travel are rather different in the UK to the US. Most Americans don't think twice about driving for four hours. In the UK, that would be more of a barrier. I don't think there's many of our locals that would be willing to make that sort of trip for an unpaid gig. Frankly, I'm still amazed Giles Aston was kind enough to make the Trek to Dundee.

It's not the size that's the issue, it's the complexity. The Ent D style would be one of the easiest due to the low number of video displays/LCARS compared to other designs.

Defiant's bridge would a more complex set to build. IMO.
__________________
Star Trek: Intrepid
USS Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 08:27 PM   #10
Barbreader
Fleet Captain
 
Location: New York, New York
View Barbreader's Twitter Profile
Re: PRODUCTION: 23rd or 24th Centuries (and others either side)

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
Barb, attitudes to travel are rather different in the UK to the US. Most Americans don't think twice about driving for four hours. In the UK, that would be more of a barrier. I don't think there's many of our locals that would be willing to make that sort of trip for an unpaid gig. Frankly, I'm still amazed Giles Aston was kind enough to make the Trek to Dundee.

It's not the size that's the issue, it's the complexity. The Ent D style would be one of the easiest due to the low number of video displays/LCARS compared to other designs.

Defiant's bridge would a more complex set to build. IMO.
I am sure you understand Brits far better than I do! In fact, I am just as sure of that than I am that you know more about filmmaking than I do!

That said, people here in the Northeast do not drive four hours at the drop of a hat. California, the West, the Mid-West... you are probably right. But it's much more than four hours drive from Illinois to Oklahoma. I think the issue is that people here jump on a plane easily. I know that's odd, and the Europe and Asia have much better rail systems than we have. Anyway, you make a good point.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 08:28 PM   #11
Danlav05
Commander
 
Danlav05's Avatar
 
Location: Rutland UK
Re: PRODUCTION: 23rd or 24th Centuries (and others either side)

Barbreader wrote: View Post
If the users take good care of the sets and they or their fans make contributions to keep them available, it opens the possibility that somebody will decide to create t TNG bridge, or less ambitious, a Voyager type bridge. If those are well used, you may see a larger array of open use sets. I would expect the TNG or VOY sets to be built somewhere in Europe, either the UK or Germany, since most of the European fan films are from that era. (The UK produces both TOS and TNG-era films, while most nations produce predominately one or the other. E.g., most fan films out of Canada are TNG era films, most fan films out of the USA are TOS era films).

There is also a growing library of Fan-made Star Trek music that fan films can draw upon. The subtitle of this forum is actually becoming fact... resources are being assembled so that fans ... be they highly skilled or just enthusiastic... can try their hands at making their own Star Trek. How nice is that for those of us who enjoy watching these efforts? Truly, a happy day!
Absolutely, I remember in the mid-00s Intrepid, Hidden Frontier, New Voyages, Farragut etc were all sharing resources and ideas. One big community of people who want to play Trek Of course people are still sharing now.

Interesting statistics there, yeah practically all the major US efforts are TOS and speaking as a Brit yes TNG and Voyager are the more loved here.

Das Vermachtnis/Christoph Hees built a partial TNG Bridge [I don't know if you remember Willi Wiegand, the German Spock, promoted it around the web before it was pulled in post-production] as well as the shuttle. How hard would corridors/turbolifts be to do?

I think if there was a central British location it would be Birmingham which is the middle of the country, Germany is also so well-known for Trek fandom. Dio you know about this? http://newstarship.com/

NEW STARSHIP is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit foundation created to restore one of the Paramount-created sets from Star Trek: The Next Generation. Our aim is to make this piece of classic science fiction and television history available to the public, as an fully-interactive educational simulation of the USS Enterprise-D.

The ORIGINAL TV Set was destroyed for the film Star Trek: Generations. In 1997, under the supervision of Herman Zimmerman and Michael Okuda, Paramount created this duplicate set for use in a nation-wide touring exhibit. At its conclusion, the set was brought back to Paramount for storage, where its condition deteriorated until we acquired it.

Hundreds of hours have gone into restoring the various elements of the bridge, with incredible results. Our set pieces travel with us as we appear at conventions across the country, meeting enthusiastic supporters of all ages.

Many of the original Star Trek designers, artists, cast and crew are helping us update our bridge to 21st Century technology with fully-interactive touchscreen LCARS stations. This will allow anyone to experience and control the capabilities of the USS Enterprise in various missions and simulations, without needing Star Trek knowledge. Our aim is to cater both to fans and those new to the Star Trek universe. We plan to create the world’s largest, educational, fully-interactive video game/simulation, accessible to both the young and the young-at-heart.

We’re well on our way to realizing this dream, but WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please consider donating to assist with restoration costs, travel expenses, and demonstration materials. Any amount will help us save the bridge!
They have said they will be inviting fan filmakers to use the set.

If there was a studio here in Europe or America or anywhere they could have TWO bridges and one of everything else - yeah the Enterprise and Voyager were different but Trek 5-10 ALL borrowed sets from the current TV Shows!

So I guess it's doable but the main issues are time, money and a space to house it all!
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 09:05 PM   #12
USS Intrepid
Commodore
 
USS Intrepid's Avatar
 
Location: Dundee, Scotland, UK
Re: PRODUCTION: 23rd or 24th Centuries (and others either side)

Danlav05 wrote: View Post
yeah the Enterprise and Voyager were different but Trek 5-10 ALL borrowed sets from the current TV Shows!
Sets yes, but the bridges were distinctly different. The point remains, the TNG bridge is much less tech heavy than the others, and likely a cheaper to build. A smaller, original bridge based on that design would be a more practical option than the more display-heavy Voyager style.

Corridors and other sets are another matter entirely.
__________________
Star Trek: Intrepid
USS Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 11:01 PM   #13
Danlav05
Commander
 
Danlav05's Avatar
 
Location: Rutland UK
Re: PRODUCTION: 23rd or 24th Centuries (and others either side)

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
Danlav05 wrote: View Post
yeah the Enterprise and Voyager were different but Trek 5-10 ALL borrowed sets from the current TV Shows!
Sets yes, but the bridges were distinctly different. The point remains, the TNG bridge is much less tech heavy than the others, and likely a cheaper to build. A smaller, original bridge based on that design would be a more practical option than the more display-heavy Voyager style.

Corridors and other sets are another matter entirely.
I do see what you mean Nick
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 11:02 PM   #14
Barbreader
Fleet Captain
 
Location: New York, New York
View Barbreader's Twitter Profile
Re: PRODUCTION: 23rd or 24th Centuries (and others either side)

I have been reminded by somebody who does not wish to enter into this discussion that there are other partial sets, including three TOS bridges, George Kayaian's, the Eagle set, the Mohave set, and the Movie-era Potemkin set, which includes more than a bridge. The last of these is in Georgia, and does NOT charge for use. I was referring to the Farragut set, which does. I stand corrected.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2014, 01:51 AM   #15
DCR
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Wentworth Hall, Tellus of Sol
Re: PRODUCTION: 23rd or 24th Centuries (and others either side)

Thanks for the listing, Barb. It's impressive to think of how many sets there are, and just how many are available. I really hope Starbase Studios can get more sets added. The Farragut/STC sets in Georgia really look nice, but I think it's a pity that they're charging what's apparently a fair amount for use, as I think it would really help a number of productions to have inexpensive access to such a complete set.
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.