Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 18 2014, 04:03 AM   #31
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile
Re: R.I.P. - Russell Johnson, the "Professor" from Gilligan's Island

Another fun fact about this show: Gilligan does have a first name (Willy), although it was only ever revealed in Sherwood Schwartz's original treatment for the show and (unlike Columbo's first name, Frank, which is visible on his police ID) never made it on air.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 04:14 AM   #32
Dark Gilligan
Writer

Christopher wrote: View Post
You've apparently been misinformed about a few things. According to the pilot's rather dreadful theme song...
Actually, Christopher, I'm not misinformed. I did err in referencing the unaired pilot, but the character descriptions are genuine. They're from the original Gilligan's Island treatment. The characters had changed after this first iteration and were on their second go-around when the pilot was filmed, as you stated above. The characters changed again, iteration three, into how we know them today.

There is a series of shorts called Gilligan's Island: Before the Three Hour Tour which detail the following:

The Professor was originally a writer.
The Howells were not millionaires.
Ginger was a secretary, and Bunny was a store clerk.
Gilligan was a Navy cook who knew nothing about the sea. He lied about his background to get the job aboard the Minnow, as the Skipper's regular first mate had crapped out.
Old January 18 2014, 04:40 AM   #33
Christopher
Writer

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Yeah, as I understood it "The Professor" was more of a nick-name they gave him since he was so learned but not an actual title he earned (i.e. he wasn't an educator in a college or university) though he did hold degrees and doctorates.
I don't think the Professor's backstory was clearly enough developed to allow any certainty on that point. Certainly in Rescue from Gilligan's Island he was treated as a full professor teaching at a university, although it's possible that could've been an honorary position resulting from his fame as a noted castaway/survivor.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 06:24 AM   #34
Gov Karnstein
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Yeah, as I understood it "The Professor" was more of a nick-name they gave him since he was so learned but not an actual title he earned (i.e. he wasn't an educator in a college or university) though he did hold degrees and doctorates.
I don't think the Professor's backstory was clearly enough developed to allow any certainty on that point. Certainly in Rescue from Gilligan's Island he was treated as a full professor teaching at a university, although it's possible that could've been an honorary position resulting from his fame as a noted castaway/survivor.
In development the character went from writer, to hign school teacher with professor as a nickname to a full professor in the final production on screen.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 07:10 AM   #35
Creepy Critter
Admiral

From Episode #1, "Two on a Raft":

RADIO ANNOUNCER
[...]
THE FINAL MEMBER OF THE MISSING GROUP WAS PROFESSOR ROY HINKLEY, RESEARCH SCIENTIST AND WELL KNOWN SCOUT MASTER.
I've confirmed that bit of dialog at least, because coincidentally, it aired on MeTV this week on Wednesday, the night before Johnson died! It's sitting right here on my DVR.
Old January 18 2014, 11:38 AM   #36
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ Yup, I saw that.

I don't think Gilligan's Island deserves the scorn it gets, certainly not in an era where popular entertainment is dominated by degrading "reality" shows and sharknadoes.
I agree. It was a well-written, 60s-style parable of people coming together. A blue-collar seaman, a Right-Wing industrialist, a liberal intellectual college professor, an upper-crust society woman, a mid-western farm girl, a Hollywood glamor queen, and a simple, naive innocent who saved the day as often as he screwed up. They represented a variety of backgrounds and social classes and they were always in conflict, but they loved each other and would come to each others' aid at the drop of a hat.

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
I remember an interview Johnson did a few years back. He said Alan Hale was a sweetheart, always smiling, always slapping you on the back with a hearty laugh. Jim Bacchus would tell dirty jokes on set, a new one everyday. And Bobby Denver (as everyone called him) took his role as series star very seriously, going through every script to make sure his fellows were given equal screen time and material.
He was also the one who pressured the producers behind the scenes to add Russell Johnson and Dawn Wells to the main credits, which they didn't even know for many years. Pretty much everyone on the show, except maybe Tina Louse, was a really nice person.

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
Actually, Christopher, I'm not misinformed. I did err in referencing the unaired pilot, but the character descriptions are genuine. They're from the original Gilligan's Island treatment. The characters had changed after this first iteration and were on their second go-around when the pilot was filmed, as you stated above. The characters changed again, iteration three, into how we know them today.

There is a series of shorts called Gilligan's Island: Before the Three Hour Tour which detail the following:

The Professor was originally a writer.
The Howells were not millionaires.
Ginger was a secretary, and Bunny was a store clerk.
Gilligan was a Navy cook who knew nothing about the sea. He lied about his background to get the job aboard the Minnow, as the Skipper's regular first mate had crapped out.
This is interesting. Do you have any links to the original treatment?
Old January 19 2014, 07:36 PM   #37
Dark Gilligan
Writer

The shorts can be found on You Tube. Do a quick search for Gilligan's Island - Before the Three Hour Tour. Each of the characters has one.
Old January 20 2014, 10:41 AM   #38
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Found 'em. Thanks for the tip.
Old January 25 2014, 10:25 PM   #39
publiusr
Commodore

I don't think Gilligan's Island deserves the scorn it gets, certainly not in an era where popular entertainment is dominated by degrading "reality" shows and sharknadoes. .
What's more, it was an educated man who led the group. Imagine that in todays world when you hear things like "something called volcano monitoring"
http://www.livescience.com/5334-gov-...onitoring.html

If only we had kept the professor instead of Bobby Jindal...

That gives me an idea for a Gilligan sequel involving Tea Party members trapped on an island. They don't believe the professor about typhoons and the island volcano, refuse to accept his vaccination, and suffer the consequences--oh, wait--it's called Congress.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 10:44 PM   #40
Christopher
Writer

Well, the Howells were part of the one percent. Although I guess on the island they would've been the 28.6 percent.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 11:58 PM   #41
JINXED
Admiral

View JINXED's Twitter Profile

I'm so sad about this.

So many of the stars of of my childhood are gone.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JINXED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 01:30 AM   #42
Kev72
Lieutenant Junior Grade

RIP Russell I always enjoyed you on Gilligan's Island.
Kev72 is offline   Reply With Quote